talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - My current role has become very stagnant, and this new one would be a lot of things I want. Work from home, travel opportunities, much better pay, and the chance to move internationally, which is something wife and I have discussed at great lengths. 

Where are you looking to move to? 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yeah - My current role has become very stagnant, and this new one would be a lot of things I want. Work from home, travel opportunities, much better pay, and the chance to move internationally, which is something wife and I have discussed at great lengths. 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Beat me to it.

Good luck @Eco. All the best!

Working from home is a challenging aspect and somewhat understated whenever people (who don't do it or never have done) talk about it. Many positives to it but it's not 100% perfect unless you can adapt and deal with isolation. Having a good support network both at work and home is something that can help no end. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Beat me to it.

Good luck @Eco. All the best!

Working from home is a challenging aspect and somewhat understated whenever people (who don't do it or never have done) talk about it. Many positives to it but it's not 100% perfect unless you can adapt and deal with isolation. Having a good support network both at work and home is something that can help no end. 

I've been working from home for 5 years now and hope I'll never have to go back to office. It has its challenges for sure, and while it's not for everyone, anyone with enough self-discipline and organizational skills can do it. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, nudge said:

I've been working from home for 5 years now and hope I'll never have to go back to office. It has its challenges for sure, and while it's not for everyone, anyone with enough self-discipline and organizational skills can do it. 

Yep, been doing it for 2.5 years and I absolutely love it. The freedom, independence, managing own time, flexibility of working hours is great (similarly to you, much of this would go out the window if I had other commitments like kids!).

Have to be very self-disciplined and time-management is key. At our work we're heavily supported with it and our department was the first to go permanently home-based working so we were encouraged to do it with that support. We get encouraged to meet regularly with members of the team whenever we want and make a point of meeting regularly as a whole team anyway so that we're not totally isolated. Doesn't even have to be meeting in the office, either. Can be out in the areas we manage or at a coffee shop and we can work remotely there if we wanted to as well. 

I don't think I could go back to office working just yet, either. On the flip side, it does take a lot of getting used to not seeing other people in the office and not having general chats with people about non-work stuff. Although you don't get distracted nearly half as much when working from home. Swings and roundabouts really!

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yep, been doing it for 2.5 years and I absolutely love it. The freedom, independence, managing own time, flexibility of working hours is great (similarly to you, much of this would go out the window if I had other commitments like kids!).

Have to be very self-disciplined and time-management is key. At our work we're heavily supported with it and our department was the first to go permanently home-based working so we were encouraged to do it with that support. We get encouraged to meet regularly with members of the team whenever we want and make a point of meeting regularly as a whole team anyway so that we're not totally isolated. Doesn't even have to be meeting in the office, either. Can be out in the areas we manage or at a coffee shop and we can work remotely there if we wanted to as well. 

I don't think I could go back to office working just yet, either. On the flip side, it does take a lot of getting used to not seeing other people in the office and not having general chats with people about non-work stuff. Although you don't get distracted nearly half as much when working from home. Swings and roundabouts really!

Agree with most of it except the bold part as for me personally not seeing other people in the office and not having general chats with people about non-work stuff there is just another advantage of working from home :7_sweat_smile: Don't get me wrong, I met a lot of great people at work in the past and became friends with many of them; but when it comes to work, I'm just goal-oriented and prefer having my social interactions elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Agree with most of it except the bold part as for me personally not seeing other people in the office and not having general chats with people about non-work stuff there is just another advantage of working from home :7_sweat_smile: Don't get me wrong, I met a lot of great people at work in the past and became friends with many of them; but when it comes to work, I'm just goal-oriented and prefer having my social interactions elsewhere. 

Yeah I think it's good to have a balance.

I started my current job as office-based and then went to home-based with the big change at work. The knowledge I gained from being around more experienced people in the office was so valuable and it's one thing I'd find difficult if I was coming in to the job right now and having to start at home, so I sympathise in that respect for people in that situation. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah I think it's good to have a balance.

I started my current job as office-based and then went to home-based with the big change at work. The knowledge I gained from being around more experienced people in the office was so valuable and it's one thing I'd find difficult if I was coming in to the job right now and having to start at home, so I sympathise in that respect for people in that situation. 

Once again it's different for me; I haven't even met my boss and have no idea who the other employees are haha. Got offered the full-time job after doing a few projects as independent contractor and we've been communicating solely via email/phone from the very start.

42 minutes ago, nudge said:

Wife stayed in Essen for 6 months, and, like me, has wanted to move to Europe. In this new role, we'd be able to choose from Stuttgart, Hamburg, London, Marseille, Rome, or Madrid. 

A few more cities we can move to, but those are the ones we've discussed briefly, although we have both said no to London and Rome. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't really enjoy the 'water cooler talk', and all the office politics and rumors. I'd be much happier just working from home, and spending out with neighbors, friends, and others. 

Personally, I've always wanted to raise a kid overseas so that he/she gets to experience what's Europe is like, pick up a foreign language, and just have that experience. Wife loves it in Europe, as do I, so this could be a massive deal. Even if this particular job didn't come to me, there are more that offers the same flexibility and would allow me live abroad with the family 

We shall see though. Interview is at 2pm today, over the phone, so I have time to go to the gym, nap, read, all beforehand. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

I don't really enjoy the 'water cooler talk', and all the office politics and rumors.

Me neither not so much but you get used to ignoring that or giving it less attention. When I said non-work stuff I kind of just meant football to be honest xD

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Me neither not so much but you get used to ignoring that or giving it less attention. When I said non-work stuff I kind of just meant football to be honest xD

xD

Yeah - I learned to ignore everything at work. TBH, half the stuff I hear at work is nonsense and makes me hate the way my generation thinks and what they find to be important. hah

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Eco said:

I don't really enjoy the 'water cooler talk', and all the office politics and rumors. 

Or company get togethers and corporate events. Get fucked with your group activities, "team building" games, pointless unfunny speeches from the management and other similar nonsense. If you want your employees to bond for one evening then free food and drinks is more than enough. And even then, honestly, nobody wants to spend (or rather waste) their free time with people they spend at least 8 hours a day, 5 days a week in the office. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Or company get togethers and corporate events. Get fucked with your group activities, "team building" games, pointless unfunny speeches from the management and other similar nonsense. If you want your employees to bond for one evening then free food and drinks is more than enough. And even then, honestly, nobody wants to spend (or rather waste) their free time with people they spend at least 8 hours a day, 5 days a week in the office. 

Totally... 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

@Rab - Opps, you are listed under UK. So watch out, I could end up in Edinburgh

There's good wash 'n' wax services in Scotland.

Don't taste the Irn-Bru though as the recipe has changed recently. 

Be prepared to drink your body weight in alcohol otherwise you won't ever be accepted. 

@nudge can suggest some good Scottish whiskey's for you. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

There's good wash 'n' wax services in Scotland.

Don't taste the Irn-Bru though as the recipe has changed recently. 

Be prepared to drink your body weight in alcohol otherwise you won't ever be accepted. 

@nudge can suggest some good Scottish whiskey's for you. 

Haha - will not be moving to Scotland. The purpose of moving to Europe is to ingrained my daughter into society where being bilingual is necessary and normal (aka Unlike America). That's why we have discuss France and Germany as our top runners. Spain is another top choice as it's useful here in the States, but wife and I both love France and Germany, with both of us leaning towards Germany since we've both spent over a year there before. 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

France and bilingual though?... :ph34r:

Touche :ay:

Again - Germany is both of our top of list. Live there for 4-5 years, and come back to the States. Hardest part is the fact that we have families and friends here that provide a lot of help with support both as friends, and as parents. Going to Europe would be leaving a lot of that.