talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.8aff4495af60391ec436584a291b8296.png

Dutch family who lived in a basement for nine years 'waiting for the end of time' is discovered.

AAIPiGC.img?h=449&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

A family who spent almost a decade "waiting for the end of time" in a basement have been discovered by police in the Netherlands after one of them turned up at a local pub, according to reports.

Dutch authorities are trying to piece together the story of the 58-year-old man and the family with young adults aged 18 to 25, who were living on an isolated farm in the province of Drenthe.

They were discovered after the eldest of the young adults reportedly ordered a beer at a bar in the nearby village of Ruinerworld.

Local news station RTV Drenthe, which first reported the story, said the family "have been living in a basement for years, waiting for the end of time."

Bar owner Chris Westerbeek told the broadcaster that he called police after a man "with a confused look in his eyes," with unkempt hair, a long beard and old clothes walked into his bar and ordered five beers for himself.

"He said where he came from, that he'd run away and that he needed help urgently," Mr Westerbeek said.

Officers visited the remote farmhouse and carried out a search where they discovered a hidden staircase behind a cupboard in the living room that led down to a basement room where the family were housed, the BBC reports.

Police said they arrested a 58-year-old man, but it wasn't immediately clear why or what his relationship was to the family. Police said he wasn't the father.

Drone images of the farm showed a cluster of buildings with a large vegetable garden on one side. The small property appeared to be ringed by a fence and largely obscured by trees.

Local mayor Roger de Groot told reporters that the six-member family is believed to have lived for nine years on the farm, 130 kilometres northeast of Amsterdam. "I've never seen anything like it," he said.

In a statement, Mr de Groot said the children's mother is believed to have died "a number of years ago".

Police investigating the farm found "a number of improvised rooms where a family lived a withdrawn life," the mayor added.

He also said the police investigation is looking into "all possible scenarios," and that the family was now "in a safe place receiving appropriate care and attention."

Local police said in a tweet that officers visited the farm after being alerted by somebody "concerned about the living conditions" of its residents. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/dutch-family-who-lived-in-basement-for-nine-years-waiting-for-end-of-time-is-discovered/ar-AAIPcQs?li=BBoPWjQ

7 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.8aff4495af60391ec436584a291b8296.png

Dutch family who lived in a basement for nine years 'waiting for the end of time' is discovered.

AAIPiGC.img?h=449&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

A family who spent almost a decade "waiting for the end of time" in a basement have been discovered by police in the Netherlands after one of them turned up at a local pub, according to reports.

Dutch authorities are trying to piece together the story of the 58-year-old man and the family with young adults aged 18 to 25, who were living on an isolated farm in the province of Drenthe.

They were discovered after the eldest of the young adults reportedly ordered a beer at a bar in the nearby village of Ruinerworld.

Local news station RTV Drenthe, which first reported the story, said the family "have been living in a basement for years, waiting for the end of time."

Bar owner Chris Westerbeek told the broadcaster that he called police after a man "with a confused look in his eyes," with unkempt hair, a long beard and old clothes walked into his bar and ordered five beers for himself.

"He said where he came from, that he'd run away and that he needed help urgently," Mr Westerbeek said.

Officers visited the remote farmhouse and carried out a search where they discovered a hidden staircase behind a cupboard in the living room that led down to a basement room where the family were housed, the BBC reports.

Police said they arrested a 58-year-old man, but it wasn't immediately clear why or what his relationship was to the family. Police said he wasn't the father.

Drone images of the farm showed a cluster of buildings with a large vegetable garden on one side. The small property appeared to be ringed by a fence and largely obscured by trees.

Local mayor Roger de Groot told reporters that the six-member family is believed to have lived for nine years on the farm, 130 kilometres northeast of Amsterdam. "I've never seen anything like it," he said.

In a statement, Mr de Groot said the children's mother is believed to have died "a number of years ago".

Police investigating the farm found "a number of improvised rooms where a family lived a withdrawn life," the mayor added.

He also said the police investigation is looking into "all possible scenarios," and that the family was now "in a safe place receiving appropriate care and attention."

Local police said in a tweet that officers visited the farm after being alerted by somebody "concerned about the living conditions" of its residents. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/dutch-family-who-lived-in-basement-for-nine-years-waiting-for-end-of-time-is-discovered/ar-AAIPcQs?li=BBoPWjQ

Reminds me of this pos....

• Subscriber
On 16/10/2019 at 21:04, Bluewolf said:

Just about to watch 'Christine' on the Horror channel... 

Fucking hell, that's a Golden Oldie of a horror film, (1983) I can remember hiring that from Blockbusters when it first came out and the wife was shitting bricks and screaming every now and then between hiding her eyes. xD

MV5BMTM0NjA3OTIxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDk0

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stick With Azeem said:

@Mel81x

Mean, mern or full stack ? which one would you prefer to develop your skill sets in for someone who is decent but new in the field.

They all have their positives honestly. Its all about the kind of jobs you're applying to. In my experience spending time learning JavaScript is extremely beneficial in a world where everyone is now leaving the traditional SQL blocks and going NoSQL so the M in the stack means very little at this point. NodeJS is fantastic for any kind of development be it web-services, thin-clients, thick-clients, connectors, MSAs, etc.

I'd say focus on JavaScript first. Then do some research on React and Angular since thats really the only one you're going to have to pick from and once you know which one of those two you want to use then move to learning Express. 

I personally find full-stack developers more useful in the longer run just because they pick up far more skills and their area of expertise stretches beyond NodeJS and can go into other languages too. But as a starting point you really cant go wrong with MERN or MEAN both are equally powerful. I believe ReactJS has a lot more traction in the marketplace right now so maybe you want to lean towards that. Like I said, JavaScript fundamentals go a long long way to mastering either of those disciplines.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Dive in: Take a tour through these amazing underwater attractions

Earth is more water than anything else. Humans have explored only 5% of the oceans' vastness and yet that tiny percentage houses some of the Pale Blue Dot's most biodiverse ecosystems. 

But living organisms aren't the only sign of life found underwater. Humans have also left their mark in the waters, dotting it with beautiful—and often tragic—reminders of our existence.

Take a look at these beautiful attractions.

SLIDES - 1/31

AAJ3Usk.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

• Subscriber
On 19/10/2019 at 18:36, Carnivore Chris said:

Only in America would they come up with a show like this xD

6 minutes ago, Shinji Doherty said:

That video is quality, yer man in the chair was a highlight until "comb his chest"  :rofl:

I take it you mean this video, I got a bit worried as the post above you was the one I put in with the statues underwater and I thought "WTF...that's not a video with underwater statues with hairy chests?"    xD

Edited by CaaC (John)

One of the stupid and shitty things I (and a lot  of my other friends) did as a kid was spit mouthful of water on pedestrians when they would pass by my school bus. 

Fast forward to yesterday, a little over two decades later, I am walking home from work and a school bus passes by me and a kid does the same thing to me. 

Karma. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Jesus, what the fuck was he doing on top of a chimney half-naked in the first place. :o

Quote.thumb.png.8beb2c7686796334d4598e57109aca80.png

A man is left dangling upside-down from 270ft Dixon's Chimney as 'clothes get stuck'

AAJsBHo.img?h=500&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

A man has been left dangling upside-down from the top of a 270ft chimney for more than eight hours as the emergency services deployed a helicopter in an attempt to rescue him. 

Police, fire and ambulance have been scrambled to the scene, with a helicopter hovering near the top of Dixon's Chimney in Carlisle, Cumbria.

Footage from the scene appears to show a figure, upside down with his legs in the air, at the top of the chimney.

FULL REPORT

On 25/10/2019 at 14:48, IgnisExcubitor said:

One of the stupid and shitty things I (and a lot  of my other friends) did as a kid was spit mouthful of water on pedestrians when they would pass by my school bus. 

Fast forward to yesterday, a little over two decades later, I am walking home from work and a school bus passes by me and a kid does the same thing to me. 

Karma. 

That’s fucking gross