talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

16 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Ide shite a brick with all them crocks around :eek:

It's all good mate. Often the roads not under water. And when it is the currents usually not strong enough to pull you down river with the Crocs. More often than not you'll get across unscathed. 🙂

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Storts said:

Today we launched a report: https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Lifelong-Learning-Report-2019.pdf which I’ve been working on for 9 months since its launch and a few years prior to that to get it to that stage.  Very proud of its recommendations and the party adopting it as policy, which if elected, could be a radical step to improving people’s lives and making a huge difference to the social, health and wellbeing of so many adult learners that have been lost from the system over the last decade. Not to mention help to close the massive skills gap in this country that keeps on growing. Sure some of you may have seen it in the media today if you’re following election coverage but just wanted to share in case anybody wanted to have a read. 

Seen it mate and a big fan of it. It would be huge for some more of the teenagers that are unlucky enough to find themselves sat in front of me in a maths class to see education as a lifelong process through having parents, carers and other adults engaging with their own learning. Would hopefully go some way to healing the outlook that many kids have where they just have to put up with school until they reach 16 then they never "have to" learn anything again.

Top work :congrats:.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Storts said:

Today we launched a report: https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Lifelong-Learning-Report-2019.pdf which I’ve been working on for 9 months since its launch and a few years prior to that to get it to that stage.  Very proud of its recommendations and the party adopting it as policy, which if elected, could be a radical step to improving people’s lives and making a huge difference to the social, health and wellbeing of so many adult learners that have been lost from the system over the last decade. Not to mention help to close the massive skills gap in this country that keeps on growing. Sure some of you may have seen it in the media today if you’re following election coverage but just wanted to share in case anybody wanted to have a read. 

BUT YOU'RE A TORY FROM THE SOUTH!

P.S Good read and promising to see, specifically employer engagement as always been a fan of developing your own staff as much as hiring good 'ready-made' individuals. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Seen it mate and a big fan of it. It would be huge for some more of the teenagers that are unlucky enough to find themselves sat in front of me in a maths class to see education as a lifelong process through having parents, carers and other adults engaging with their own learning. Would hopefully go some way to healing the outlook that many kids have where they just have to put up with school until they reach 16 then they never "have to" learn anything again.

Top work :congrats:.

Cheers mate. 

100% - there has to be a major culture shift which is why some of it not achievable in the short term and why things like proper careers IAG are so vital to give people the right options at all ages 

4 hours ago, Storts said:

Would like to read more of that. Bit much before 7am though! Looks good though! 

Lifelong learners starts from parents and schools. But glad to see some discussion around adults. I can’t comment too much because I haven’t read it.

Yesterday I was at a neuroscience seminar. Very interesting stuff about a child’s brain development and lifelong learners are more likely if education takes a step towards intentional play. Does the UK have a play focus in early childhood/lower primary? Incredible push here now. @RandoEFC

Edited by Toinho

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Would like to read more of that. Bit much before 7am though! Looks good though! 

Lifelong learners starts from parents and schools. But glad to see some discussion around adults. I can’t comment too much because I haven’t read it.

Yesterday I was at a neuroscience seminar. Very interesting stuff about a child’s brain development and lifelong learners are more likely if education takes a step towards intentional play. Does the UK have a play focus in early childhood/lower primary? Incredible push here now. @RandoEFC

Yeah I definitely hear tidbits about it, the first couple of years of primary school are very heavy on educational play. I don't know much of the detail as if I have anything to do with primary colleagues it's at the other end of their school but from what I know yeah it's quite a significant thing.

• Upvote 1

I’ll be honest 85 pages long @Storts I’ll be waiting for the tl;dr version, could only get so many pages in there xD

I’m currently in further education on an access course to eventually study Psychology (or similar, interested in social work) at Uni. I left school with 1 GCSE in which I had to stick around for an extra year to resit. Managed to get a diploma in something ICT based that year but also failed the two other subjects they sat me in. Fair to say I rarely attended.

Educationally school was not a good place for me, I’m half deaf and was fitted with a hearing aid at about 5/6 years old. Concentration has always been a difficulty for me and the older I get, the more reading I do the more I feel like I belong somewhere on the Autism spectrum. That’s not to mention my OCD too. So yeah concentration was a massive issue for me, I failed my year 3 SATS and was about 2-3 years behind my age group. Between years 4-6 I was fairly extensively put in the special needs classes where they managed to bring me up to standard in time for the year 6 SATS. Unfortunately it all went downhill from secondary school onwards.

I was in a class with a designated class “helper”, the person there to help the kids with special needs...or as you were less affectionately known back then the Soggy Baguettes. We had a special needs set up at the school which I frequented in my early years but by year 9 onwards I was never put in. Partially the schools oversight, partially a 12/13 year old kid trying to avoid being a target.

Year 7 and 8 no exams but I was put in set 2 (out of 5) for Science, eventually I’d drop to set 4. Dropped to set 5 for Maths. Set 5 also for English. Failed my SATS miserably, failed my mock GCSE’s, then failed the real ones. A lot of kids throughout school learn the ability to learn, revise, pass exams, work at home, prioritise work and play and work towards goals. I was lost in the classroom size, concentration often disappeared and eventually resorted to type, bit of a clown and didn’t pay attention. The only thing that I learned at school was that I was “stupid”, I learned how to fail exams and stop caring and eventually that’s what happened. Left school, no qualifications, faked them on my CV, got various jobs doing whatever but ironically the type of career I’d like to go into requires a degree so here we are. Ten years after failing the last set of exams I had at school and I’m doing what is essentially your A Levels all in one year.

Its a shame I never really had the support I needed at secondary as looking back it seemed quite obvious I only succeeded in smaller class rooms with more one on one learning. My concentration issues seemed to be deemed as lazy more than anything and I like many others, especially deaf children who are statistically less likely to do as well as full hearing children, fell through the educational system.

I won’t lie the work ethic isn’t quite there yet as it’s an adjustment going from only knowing how to fail in education, to a decade of work and travel and the back to school as I’m pushing 30 but the material seems understandable.

Smart kids being perceived as stupid or not having their educational needs met is fairly important to me so if that document goes onto help future kids who’d otherwise go down the same road I did then there’s another reason for me to vote Labour.

Thanks for attending my TedTalk and apologies @Storts for hijacking your moment, good stuff and well done 👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Storts said:

My assumption on this data

image.thumb.png.28093465ddc174b672209697dc89117b.png

is that due to the nature of what's being proposed they didn't go beyond 4 as that demographic wouldn't really need to be covered by this new initiative? Still, that's a staggering number in 1+ category and is it also indicative of how jobs that are generally gotten by people in England also pan out? 

P.S. I think this is a great initiative and I concur with @Stan about employer engagement as it goes a long way to improve the educational standard across the working community as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Just had a power cut, only lasted about 10 minutes but it was quite nice just sitting here with some portable lamps on and candles lit, hearing the wife moans because she was in the middle of a game on her Facebook, the central heating going off and she was hungry and ready to make her tea, I managed to find my wine in the fridge and sat here with a smile on my face watching her scowl at me...then the power came back on...oh well, it was nice while it lasted. xD 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Just had a power cut, only lasted about 10 minutes but it was quite nice just sitting here with some portable lamps on and candles lit, hearing the wife moans because she was in the middle of a game on her Facebook, the central heating going off and she was hungry and ready to make her tea, I managed to find my wine in the fridge and sat here with a smile on my face watching her scowl at me...then the power came back on...oh well, it was nice while it lasted. xD 

Move to Cambodia. All the power cuts your heart desires and even more xD 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Move to Cambodia. All the power cuts your heart desires and even more xD 

I do love them though, I can remember when they had the power cuts during the '70s and sitting in the house with candles lit and just nattering away thinking about old times when there was no electric and just candles and log fires, you kept yourself occupied by reading or just talking.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I do love them though, I can remember when they had the power cuts during the '70s and sitting in the house with candles lit and just nattering away thinking about old times when there was no electric and just candles and log fires, you kept yourself occupied by reading or just talking.

I know what you mean; growing up we had power cuts as well and there's certain romantic of just sitting in the dark and watching some candles burn; there was some magic in it. Slowed down the pace of daily life nicely. I still enjoy it too but not when I have work to do and deadlines to meet...

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, nudge said:

I know what you mean; growing up we had power cuts as well and there's certain romantic of just sitting in the dark and watching some candles burn; there was some magic in it. Slowed down the pace of daily life nicely. I still enjoy it too but not when I have work to do and deadlines to meet...

Liz got me into candles now I love them, we have them all over the place and some Liz won't light as they are sentimental and given to her from aunts & uncles now deceased from years ago.

20191127_172226.jpg.80a46f423fb49c7b88cab7d908e5140c.jpg

20191127_172257.jpg.16a7a04a0fdd37ab0780c084456d375b.jpg

• Upvote 1