talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

After a mate suggested a small tournament, I've been getting back into playing poker a little in the last couple of weeks. 

Any poker players on here (I saw Lucas was one a while back but haven't read many threads in the pub area)? 

Played a lot when I was working and back in my army days but have lost track a bit nowadays.

3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Played a lot when I was working and back in my army days but have lost track a bit nowadays.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Yes.

Not bad. How often do you both play? 

I've not long registered on Pokerstars (first one I've signed up to) and just trying to navigate my way around it as when I first opened it on my desktop, it looked confusing and cluttered as fuck. xD

Also, I never knew there were different variations of the same game in tournaments (for example, 'bounty hunters'). 

Got a little bit of money to play with thanks to the tickets when making a deposit so will have a small buy in at some point. 

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I've not long registered on Pokerstars (first one I've signed up to) and just trying to navigate my way around it as when I first opened it on my desktop, it looked confusing and cluttered as fuck. xD

Also, I never knew there were different variations of the same game in tournaments (for example, 'bounty hunters'). 

Got a little bit of money to play with thanks to the tickets when making a deposit so will have a small buy in at some point. 

I only stick with Texas Hold'Em. It's the only way I know and I can't be arsed learning anything more xD 

I played quite a lot during lockdown as some friends set up a table (up to 30 of us at one time, £10 entry then the pot split between top 3 at the end) on PPPoker. Decent app but can't compare it to others as not played on those. Has good options to play in various challenges, buy-ins or just 'Lobby' where you can go in and out of tables at your own will and not tied in to anything for money.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I only stick with Texas Hold'Em. It's the only way I know and I can't be arsed learning anything more xD 

I played quite a lot during lockdown as some friends set up a table (up to 30 of us at one time, £10 entry then the pot split between top 3 at the end) on PPPoker. Decent app but can't compare it to others as not played on those. Has good options to play in various challenges, buy-ins or just 'Lobby' where you can go in and out of tables at your own will and not tied in to anything for money.

Nicely done. That must have been pretty tense near the end (unless someone was running away with it).

My mistake in regards to variations. I only play Texas Hold 'Em as well, but noticed that there were different tournament types of Texas Hold' Em (normal, 'spin & go', 'freeroll', 'bounty' etc). Never heard of any of the latter trio prior to registering. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Nicely done. That must have been pretty tense near the end (unless someone was running away with it).

My mistake in regards to variations. I only play Texas Hold 'Em as well, but noticed that there were different tournament types of Texas Hold' Em (normal, 'spin & go', 'freeroll', 'bounty' etc). Never heard of any of the latter trio prior to registering. 

Yeah me neither.

The tournament - I never got further than 9th and I was quite proud of that xD. One of the organisers plays poker regularly (he was playing on PokerStars at the same time as the tournament with us) and he got knocked out first a few times.

It gets very tense when there's about 4 or 5 left because there's still some big chunks of money. Sometimes when it gets down to last 2 it's a bit slow to finish - one person (if inexperienced) would be cautious and you're just waiting for chip leader to almost 'provoke' the other in to going all in. 

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah me neither.

The tournament - I never got further than 9th and I was quite proud of that xD. One of the organisers plays poker regularly (he was playing on PokerStars at the same time as the tournament with us) and he got knocked out first a few times.

It gets very tense when there's about 4 or 5 left because there's still some big chunks of money. Sometimes when it gets down to last 2 it's a bit slow to finish - one person (if inexperienced) would be cautious and you're just waiting for chip leader to almost 'provoke' the other in to going all in. 

I've only really played against 10 mates and with three work colleagues more recently, the latter being a tenner each. Came last in the first match when I generally had poor hands but won last week after what can only be described as an absolute collapse by my opponent. You should never lose when I only have 5k and my opponent has 35k - 40k chips. 

That part in bold is me unfortunately. I'm useless at attempting to bluff and if I try it, I know it will completely backfire. In fact, I've been so cautious that when I played in a small tournament locally a few years back, my mate said that I was 'tighter than Rambo's headband'. 

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

11 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

As I said, I played years ago when I was working or in my army days, playing in the army was nearly always in the NAAFI bar between around 5/6 of us and it was not for money but bottles of lager, we would all buy 10 bottles of 'Charlies' as we called Carlsburgh each, and whoever won the hand we would give him a 'Charlie', sometimes there were a few arguments when you were half pissed, but at the end of the night, we all got pissed as newts.

Where I worked in a factory years after my army days we would play during breaks and keep score and whoever had the highest score at the end of the week we would all throw £10 in for the winner, normally there was around 10 of us playing so a £100 then was a nice earner if you won at the end of the week. 

43 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

As I said, I played years ago when I was working or in my army days, playing in the army was nearly always in the NAAFI bar between around 5/6 of us and it was not for money but bottles of lager, we would all buy 10 bottles of 'Charlies' as we called Carlsburgh each, and whoever won the hand we would give him a 'Charlie', sometimes there were a few arguments when you were half pissed, but at the end of the night, we all got pissed as newts.

Where I worked in a factory years after my army days we would play during breaks and keep score and whoever had the highest score at the end of the week we would all throw £10 in for the winner, normally there was around 10 of us playing so a £100 then was a nice earner if you won at the end of the week. 

Nice. Sounds like a great time for both scenarios. xD

I know you mentioned it was a while ago but wasn't sure if you played a bit now or haven't played it at all since. 

Have any of you ever been attacked by a footballer on Twitter?

A few months ago I received a PM from Alejandro Duarte, who was the keeper at Zacatepec at the time. I had strong opinions about how the Ascenso MX was almost amateur and that there's a lot of problems and a good reason Mexicans don't make the jump to the Liga MX from the 2nd tier. He sent me a 15 paragraph essay about how I'm wrong and he doesn't care about my opinion (he clearly did) and invited me to a game in Mexico if I had the chance. 

Today, there is news that he is reporting his team for "not paying him in months". I could tell him I told him so, but I'm not going to be the cause for more problems...

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Have any of you ever been attacked by a footballer on Twitter?

A few months ago I received a PM from Alejandro Duarte, who was the keeper at Zacatepec at the time. I had strong opinions about how the Ascenso MX was almost amateur and that there's a lot of problems and a good reason Mexicans don't make the jump to the Liga MX from the 2nd tier. He sent me a 15 paragraph essay about how I'm wrong and he doesn't care about my opinion (he clearly did) and invited me to a game in Mexico if I had the chance. 

Today, there is news that he is reporting his team for "not paying him in months". I could tell him I told him so, but I'm not going to be the cause for more problems...

So you wrote about a league a player plays in, and he wrote back, and you see that as an 'attack'.

What did you expect after writing 'strong opinions'? Did you not want a reaction after what you wrote?

What are the reasons for him not being paid, financial problems at the club?

1 minute ago, Stan said:

So you wrote about a league a player plays in, and he wrote back, and you see that as an 'attack'.

What did you expect after writing 'strong opinions'? Did you not want a reaction after what you wrote?

What are the reasons for him not being paid, financial problems at the club?

A footballer should not respond to critics though, it’s unprofessional. I didn’t even directly message him. I actually had completely forgotten he even had Twitter.

And yeah could be financial problems or the owners just being stubborn. Either is common in the lower or weaker Latinamerican leagues.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Mpache said:

A footballer should not respond to critics though, it’s unprofessional. I didn’t even directly message him. I actually had completely forgotten he even had Twitter.

And yeah could be financial problems or the owners just being stubborn. Either is common in the lower or weaker Latinamerican leagues.

So they're just meant to take a lot of shit without having their own opinion?

Cool.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

So they're just meant to take a lot of shit without having their own opinion?

Cool.

Well that’s called maintaining a good image. They can have an opinion but millions of people watch the sport and if you’re going to play, you have to expect to be criticized.

I was just very direct. It’s not like i was insulting him or anything.

8 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Saw this earlier and was quite impressed to start with..... 

Fighter Granny

Then I saw what she was drinking and thought she is not as hardcore as they are making out.... 

Bud Lite is fine for what it is. There are far worse beers that I can name

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Mpache said:

Well that’s called maintaining a good image. They can have an opinion but millions of people watch the sport and if you’re going to play, you have to expect to be criticized.

I was just very direct. It’s not like i was insulting him or anything.

Yeah you can expect to be criticised. I'm not arguing against that bit. I'm saying that he's allowed to have his own opinion on something a 'journalist' has said that has criticised him. It's not a one way street whether you want to maintain a good image or not. 

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Yeah you can expect to be criticised. I'm not arguing against that bit. I'm saying that he's allowed to have his own opinion on something a 'journalist' has said that has criticised him. It's not a one way street whether you want to maintain a good image or not. 

Fair enough, but again I wasn't insulting him, or even criticizing him directly. I was just strongly against his move to Mexico's 2nd tier and it seemed to piss him off. Maybe I was using strong words with "attack" but he was pissed and went off at me in a DM.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Fair enough, but again I wasn't insulting him, or even criticizing him directly. I was just strongly against his move to Mexico's 2nd tier and it seemed to piss him off. Maybe I was using strong words with "attack" but he was pissed and went off at me in a DM.

There is no smoke without fire.

Shows how bad my luck can be @Stanwith poker.

Heads up against my mate and four hearts are on the table. Nothing else can beat a flush in this instance and I have a king of hearts. The chance of my opponent having the only card that can beat me (ace of hearts) is very slim. I go all in. He calls it. 

Cunt had the ace of hearts and I finish second. >:(

• Haha 2

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Shows how bad my luck can be @Stanwith poker.

Heads up against my mate and four hearts are on the table. Nothing else can beat a flush in this instance and I have a king of hearts. The chance of my opponent having the only card that can beat me (ace of hearts) is very slim. I go all in. He calls it. 

Cunt had the ace of hearts and I finish second. >:(

Oh man. That's rough. The odds on that actually happening are just ridiculously slim.

Been there, done that! Rough as fuck when you see the cards unfold, literally, and you're thinking you're guaranteed a win.

50 minutes ago, Stan said:

Oh man. That's rough. The odds on that actually happening are just ridiculously slim.

Been there, done that! Rough as fuck when you see the cards unfold, literally, and you're thinking you're guaranteed a win.

Tbf, that's probably payback for how I won last week.

Heads up and I had to claw back a massive disadvantage (5k or so compared to my opponents 35k - 40k) to turn it around. I had a pair of 5's (not a great hand but considering the cards I had for most of the evening, I'll take it) and decided to try and take my opponent out (same person who beat me with ace of hearts). He calls it with ace and 7 unsuited (giving me a marginal advantage). Flop turned up nothing for either of us. Turn produced a 7 and gave my opponent the edge, leaving me needing another number/picture card on the board (for two pair) or a 5 (for three of a kind). River produced a 5 and I won. 

Finally got my College results back today with a good surprise, they came back better than expected and I’ve gone from looking at Unis like London Met, Greenwich and Roehampton (though decent and Roehampton still on the table) to looking at City, Goldsmiths, UCL and Kings 😂

Having a look up north with Liverpool looking a good option for my course too. All in all a very good day

19 hours ago, Danny said:

Finally got my College results back today with a good surprise, they came back better than expected and I’ve gone from looking at Unis like London Met, Greenwich and Roehampton (though decent and Roehampton still on the table) to looking at City, Goldsmiths, UCL and Kings 😂

Having a look up north with Liverpool looking a good option for my course too. All in all a very good day

Lancaster mate, trust me. Well, that's if they have the courses you're looking for.

Ask @RandoEFC

Great Uni and it's always expanding, there are new buildings all the time being built. Not to mention, it's actually a nice town(well a small city) to live in. You aren't exactly far from Liverpool or Manchester for days out and such either, nor are you far from the lake district if you travel in the other direction.

Anyway, I woke up this morning, put Good morning Britain on(as you do) and the Prime Minister of Barbados was on there offering British people to go over there working and they would be given a stamp which allows them to stay for a year. Does anyone know anything else about this? My eyes genuinely lit up when I heard her saying it. I did a bit of google searching and apparently she was referring to people working from home(i.e office) workers, going over there for months a time and doing their work from over there. But is there work going over there also? I'd definitely be up for that at the end of this year. If you earned enough to get by over there and had money in the bank already(which I do), you can treat yourself from time to time as well.

Not to mention you're closer to countries such as Colombia, Mexico, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Brazil, etc :x. Great excuse to explore some countries while you were out there if you have savings. Obviously you'd have to hold the travel off to other countries right now and stay in Barbados, but if this opportunity is still around later in the year/start of next year and boarders start opening up by then, you can go out there working for 6 months to a year and while out there, go on trips to a few other countries when you have time off from the work you're doing. Fucking sounds tempting if the opportunity is there. But it all depends on what she really was referring to and whether there is actually plenty of work out there, etc.

Edited by Carnivore Chris