talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

On 13/12/2021 at 19:26, Spike said:

But there is a difference between you lot saying it and what is meant to be a professionally made documentary. It's ridiculous and insulting, 2 hours of 'convict this, convict that' and kissing the arse of a South African mercenary that threw a tantrum and switched to play for England.

Then all the mouthbreathers in the USA, 'duuur you guys are all descended from convicts right?'. It got old fast.

Convict feels like something a Cricket fan would say, bald headed, sunburnt and wearing a horrific pair of shorts. The whitewashing of Australia is quite surreal even in this day of age, thousands of years of culture in Australia and people's minds swing straight to convict. Even away from the whitewashing, the convicts were essentially used for slave labour and whilst some would have been serious criminals, I'd bet a lot were arrested on petty stuff to provide supply for the labour demand the expansion of Australia required.

On a side note I went to an old prison settlement on Sydney Harbour and the conditions they lived in were genuinely horrific

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Yeah, the acting from the cat was one of the best performances I've ever seen.

It says in the thread it was manufactured and 'scripted' to send an 'inspirational' message out  :what:

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

It says in the thread it was manufactured and 'scripted' to send an 'inspirational' message out  :what:

I know, I read the thread and watched the original video... after posting it on here :ph34r: Still a very well thought out video though.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Convict feels like something a Cricket fan would say, bald headed, sunburnt and wearing a horrific pair of shorts. The whitewashing of Australia is quite surreal even in this day of age, thousands of years of culture in Australia and people's minds swing straight to convict. Even away from the whitewashing, the convicts were essentially used for slave labour and whilst some would have been serious criminals, I'd bet a lot were arrested on petty stuff to provide supply for the labour demand the expansion of Australia required.

On a side note I went to an old prison settlement on Sydney Harbour and the conditions they lived in were genuinely horrific

Well yes because Australian identity is purely a result of the colonialisation and the offshoot of british culture isolated from the mainland,, with the eventual addition of Mediterranean immigrants . The history of Australia and the history of it's native peoples are two incompatible and foreign ideas. 'Australia' was only ever white, before that their were free people that weren't 'Australian' but their own identity and there were hundreds of them, mostly lost and corrupted.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Well yes because Australian identity is purely a result of the colonialisation and the offshoot of british culture isolated from the mainland,, with the eventual addition of Mediterranean immigrants . The history of Australia and the history of it's native peoples are two incompatible and foreign ideas. 'Australia' was only ever white, before that their were free people that weren't 'Australian' but their own identity and there were hundreds of them, mostly lost and corrupted.

Yeah completely understand the rejection of Australian identity from indigenous peoples, was more talking from the perspective of how their existence is generally forgotten about from the outside.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Yeah completely understand the rejection of Australian identity from indigenous peoples, was more talking from the perspective of how their existence is generally forgotten about from the outside.

fuck mate they are forgotten on the inside, and when they are included like they were in the ashes ceremony it's still seen as freak show oddity. Though I reckon the more mature and less bitter Indigenous Australians would rather, not embrace per se but accept the colonial history and hopefully use that moving forward instead of mulling on the past, but it is very difficult and I don't hold anyone to a standard that they shouldn't be bitter. I would hope things like rugby and aussie rules, even cricket could be used as a uniting passion and something shared. It's not all negative but the negatives have to be addressed and fixed.

I used to think things like the indigneous all stars v the all the stars was racist as fuck then I realised it's a good thing because it's something they can be proud of, something they can wear that says who they are and that they are proud of it.

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

fuck mate they are forgotten on the inside, and when they are included like they were in the ashes ceremony it's still seen as freak show oddity. Though I reckon the more mature and less bitter Indigenous Australians would rather, not embrace per se but accept the colonial history and hopefully use that moving forward instead of mulling on the past, but it is very difficult and I don't hold anyone to a standard that they shouldn't be bitter. I would hope things like rugby and aussie rules, even cricket could be used as a uniting passion and something shared. It's not all negative but the negatives have to be addressed and fixed.

I used to think things like the indigneous all stars v the all the stars was racist as fuck then I realised it's a good thing because it's something they can be proud of, something they can wear that says who they are and that they are proud of it.

Yeah I definitely noticed that when I lived there, especially the discrimination regarding drug and alcohol usage too. Remember chatting to two lads from Perth when I was in NZ and within about a minute they mentioned the “problem with aboriginals” when talking about Perth. Felt like such a weird thing to randomly bring up.

Obviously there’s a difference in how Australia was colonised compared to how New Zealand was and the levels of violence used but it feels crazy to think that it feels like there’s a good chance that within my life time New Zealand will just be called Aotearoa and the NZ Maori language will be much more embedded into their culture than it is already and what it is at already is light years beyond what you see in Oz. 

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Yeah I definitely noticed that when I lived there, especially the discrimination regarding drug and alcohol usage too. Remember chatting to two lads from Perth when I was in NZ and within about a minute they mentioned the “problem with aboriginals” when talking about Perth. Felt like such a weird thing to randomly bring up.

Obviously there’s a difference in how Australia was colonised compared to how New Zealand was and the levels of violence used but it feels crazy to think that it feels like there’s a good chance that within my life time New Zealand will just be called Aotearoa and the NZ Maori language will be much more embedded into their culture than it is already and what it is at already is light years beyond what you see in Oz. 

It's a vicious cycle because largely you cannot blame the plain Aussie for feeling that way, they are disconnected from the history and reality of it. When all they see is a people that are fucked up by drugs, alcohol, and violence it's easy to become biased. Most people don't think about the cycle of poverty or the exact circumstances that have to led to Indigenous Australians adopted a very self destructive culture. Some people are just lost, an Indigenous mate of my was just chatting with me and said that another kid we went to school with tried to killed himself last night. It's bad,  young men killing themselves en masse, and they are the ones meant to be leaders and elders for the future. But what can you do? They need a culture change and they need to do it internally, the government can give them the tools but a few determined and loving individuals can only do so much, social workers hands are tied, they can't remove children from violent and hate-filled environments because of the political and historical ramifications of that. The children next to my house were subjected for horrible abuse and neglect, it was heartbreaking but there were only so many options available to help, and you just know that those kids are going to grow into people that will do the same thing, because they don't know you can process emotions without violence. You can try to reach them, and teach them but not everyone wants to be reached and have the veil of hatred and self-destruction lifted.

That cannot happen in Australia, it's apple and oranges. New Zealand was colonised after the Maori's conquered the natives (that is hearsay but besides the point), they were a unified and homogenous people. Indigenous Australia were over 250 language groups, so to incorporate any of the words  and imagery marginalises other groups, besides I don't think they would want to be that way. They like having their own flag and like being 'separate' in a way, I think they'd feel it's just another step of assimilation and taking away their identity by sharing it piecemeal with the rest of Australians. They don't think they want white fellas doing a corroboree dance.

There are lot more Maoris than anyway Australian group, and they make a lot more of the population.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's a vicious cycle because largely you cannot blame the plain Aussie for feeling that way, they are disconnected from the history and reality of it. When all they see is a people that are fucked up by drugs, alcohol, and violence it's easy to become biased. Most people don't think about the cycle of poverty or the exact circumstances that have to led to Indigenous Australians adopted a very self destructive culture. Some people are just lost, an Indigenous mate of my was just chatting with me and said that another kid we went to school with tried to killed himself last night. It's bad,  young men killing themselves en masse, and they are the ones meant to be leaders and elders for the future. But what can you do? They need a culture change and they need to do it internally, the government can give them the tools but a few determined and loving individuals can only do so much, social workers hands are tied, they can't remove children from violent and hate-filled environments because of the political and historical ramifications of that. The children next to my house were subjected for horrible abuse and neglect, it was heartbreaking but there were only so many options available to help, and you just know that those kids are going to grow into people that will do the same thing, because they don't know you can process emotions without violence. You can try to reach them, and teach them but not everyone wants to be reached and have the veil of hatred and self-destruction lifted.

That cannot happen in Australia, it's apple and oranges. New Zealand was colonised after the Maori's conquered the natives (that is hearsay but besides the point), they were a unified and homogenous people. Indigenous Australia were over 250 language groups, so to incorporate any of the words  and imagery marginalises other groups, besides I don't think they would want to be that way. They like having their own flag and like being 'separate' in a way, I think they'd feel it's just another step of assimilation and taking away their identity by sharing it piecemeal with the rest of Australians. They don't think they want white fellas doing a corroboree dance.

There are lot more Maoris than anyway Australian group, and they make a lot more of the population.

The child removal is an interesting point, when I done a research project for college I done it on the stolen generation and there were quite a few articles pointing to numbers suggesting that numbers are as high now or higher in terms of indigenous children being removed from their families.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

The child removal is an interesting point, when I done a research project for college I done it on the stolen generation and there were quite a few articles pointing to numbers suggesting that numbers are as high now or higher in terms of indigenous children being removed from their families.

Interesting. Well the reason for it is different I hope. Forced assimilation opposed to removing a child from danger, I hope.

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

Interesting. Well the reason for it is different I hope. Forced assimilation opposed to removing a child from danger, I hope.

From what I gathered there was an element of forced assimilation though not as blatant as before as you'd just not get away with that so openly now, but it's been a while since I've read into it

51 minutes ago, Danny said:

From what I gathered there was an element of forced assimilation though not as blatant as before as you'd just not get away with that so openly now, but it's been a while since I've read into it

Well I wished it happened to those kids next door, hope they are alright these days, can't forget the sound of 'abby ya fucking slut' or 'douglas ya little cunt'.

• Upvote 1