talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

• 2 weeks later...

Fucking around with language apps for shits and giggs and I have to say that Norwegian is fuck easy compared to any other language I have looked at(it is still hard). I can’t wrap my head around Spanish, not matter how hard I try because the I mix it up with the little French and Italian I know and I can’t get me noggin around the coniugation.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Spike said:

Fucking around with language apps for shits and giggs and I have to say that Norwegian is fuck easy compared to any other language I have looked at(it is still hard). I can’t wrap my head around Spanish, not matter how hard I try because the I mix it up with the little French and Italian I know and I can’t get me noggin around the coniugation.

Which other languages have you looked at? 

Personally, Spanish was by far the easiest language to learn for me. Even after having no practice for over a decade, I managed to have both formal and informal conversations the last time I went there last year, which was quite a surprise to me 😅

Just now, nudge said:

Which other languages have you looked at? 

Personally, Spanish was by far the easiest language to learn for me. Even after having no practice for over a decade, I managed to have both formal and informal conversations the last time I went there last year, which was quite a surprise to me 😅

So far I know the most French but that is mostly due to exposure, it is a very prevalent language. I can’t get a hold of Spanish even though I do know a large vocab due to having Mexican friends. I think it is because the Australian English language and accent is non-rhotic so I have a lot of trouble with the letter R. For instance ‘car’ becomes ‘kaaa’ not ‘kar’. 

There was this one time working as a barista, I said this name ‘Kaa lowse’ and the guy looking at me confused and then realised I had an accent that is why I said ‘Carlos’ weird

• Upvote 3

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Spike said:

So far I know the most French but that is mostly due to exposure, it is a very prevalent language. I can’t get a hold of Spanish even though I do know a large vocab due to having Mexican friends. I think it is because the Australian English language and accent is non-rhotic so I have a lot of trouble with the letter R. For instance ‘car’ becomes ‘kaaa’ not ‘kar’. 

There was this one time working as a barista, I said this name ‘Kaa lowse’ and the guy looking at me confused and then realised I had an accent that is why I said ‘Carlos’ weird

Understandable. For me, it's tonal languages that are the most challenging. I can hear and recognize the differences in tones and can also mimic them if I'm speaking slowly, but once I have to say a complete sentence at normal speed, the tones mostly disappear xD

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Understandable. For me, it's tonal languages that are the most challenging. I can hear and recognize the differences in tones and can also mimic them if I'm speaking slowly, but once I have to say a complete sentence at normal speed, the tones mostly disappear xD

I think I will stick to the Germanics. I imagine Afrikaans and then Dutch would be quite similar, but I have noticed that Norwegian has nearly the exact same composition as English and very similar root words. 

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think I will stick to the Germanics. I imagine Afrikaans and then Dutch would be quite similar, but I have noticed that Norwegian has nearly the exact same composition as English and very similar root words. 

Dutch pronunciation can be quite challenging, especially the choking "g" sound and several diphthongs ("ui" is particularly hard to master, imo). Otherwise, I agree. I've heard it's one of the easier languages to learn (for English native speakers), so you've got a point there regarding composition and root words! 

• Administrator

Found languages like Spanish, French and Italian are quite simple to learn because the root words or logical thinking is easier as it can match up with English. 

Where the word is totally different and abstract I find it much more difficult, and also with 'foreign' letters or letter combinations. 

Think its quite commendable if you can speak or learn a different language. Great skill to have. 

The lock on my washer broke, I looked into some YouTube videos to see if I could fix it - but the fucking replacement part is on backorder and is meant to take a month. I really need to do laundry and I really don't want to go some place else to wash my clothes. It's a fucking disaster.

35 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The lock on my washer broke, I looked into some YouTube videos to see if I could fix it - but the fucking replacement part is on backorder and is meant to take a month. I really need to do laundry and I really don't want to go some place else to wash my clothes. It's a fucking disaster.

You can always go back to the roots. :ph34r:

Laundry3-640x424.jpg

• Haha 3