talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

1 hour ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Got a new car today after my old one literally fell apart. A 2006 ford fiesta. Bought it privately which I've never done before and it was a bit risky. However I got it for £550. Even if I had to spend about £400 getting the mot done it would still be worth it if I get a few years out of it. 

Aha the price of my first car bought privately in 1985, a Ford Cortina MkIII.

Hopefully you a have more than a few months before needing a new MOT.

We really have hit rock bottom in this country... 

My missus has an elderly mum that is not very mobile and has a number of health issues ( she is 86 ) and she goes down to her once or twice a week to make sure she is ok and has enough food and that the bills are paid and to sort out any other issues etc.. Well she had a fall sometime in the early hours of the morning due to an attack of some description which set off her emergency alarm... The Fire Brigade arrived at her property and instead of using the emergency key located outside in a box to allow them in they set about breaking in.. It took them a full hour to break down the secure door according to the neighbours and she was then taken to Kingston Hospital where she had to wait nearly 5 hours before she was seen by a doctor.

The door has been completely shattered down one side.. then they attempted to screw back the frame but everything else is damaged... 

image.png

image.png

Because it was badly damaged you could close the door but not secure it.. The locking mechanism was completely torn off the frame.. 

image.png

My other half's sister is currently up there now with her. I understand they will not allow her back home as they are concerned about her mobility and will be moving her to a secure housing unit where she will at least be monitored... My missus sent me pictures of the door and she could not get it to lock despite trying to put it back together which meant the property would be unsecured, Also the outer door to the flats is unsecured which means anyone on the prowl would have a field day just walking in... She phoned Kingston Council and the earliest they claim they can sort it out is January 27th!!! Bearing in mind this is the property of a vunerable 86 year old woman I find that fucking appalling... Her primary carer has also not been available to talk to all day... 

Now I don't say these things to have a go at our emergency services or doctors or nurses because no doubt they are doing the best they can with what little resources they have and I hear a lot of things along these lines happening to a lot of people and for sure the Health system is about as poor as it can be, Underfunded, Underpaid workers, and absolutely no accountability for those in charge of funding or policies...  

Life shouldn't be this difficult for people... We just seem to be getting worse and worse

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Wow 3
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 2

• Administrator

Jesus, sorry to hear that for your mother-in-law @Bluewolf. What an absolute palaver on all aspects. Shame the Fire Brigade didn't know about the key, surprised they didn't just bring it down with a big red key.

I'm amazed Kingston Council say it takes over a month to get a lock sorted! I'm guessing she's in rented accommodation by the sounds of it. 

I'd persist with speaking to them and constantly letting on to them it's a safeguarding issue for a frail, physically vulnerable lady who clearly has care needs before the fall has even happened. That's obscene to think it takes best part of 28 working days to get a lock change. I work in housing albeit not for a local authority, but there's bound to be a department that can arrange for emergency lock changes within 24 hrs. Shocked if there isn't. And given its a communal block, it's their responsibility to ensure the safety of the block and get a fix in within a certain time of it being reported. 

Alternatively, I'd get the flat door lock fixed yourself to a better standard with a better function, and then stick a complaint in and ask for you to be reimbursed. You're well within you're rights. While you're at it, let them know you'll be taking it to the Housing Ombudsman if they don't reply or repair in a more reasonable time. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Jesus, sorry to hear that for your mother-in-law @Bluewolf. What an absolute palaver on all aspects. Shame the Fire Brigade didn't know about the key, surprised they didn't just bring it down with a big red key.

I'm amazed Kingston Council say it takes over a month to get a lock sorted! I'm guessing she's in rented accommodation by the sounds of it. 

I'd persist with speaking to them and constantly letting on to them it's a safeguarding issue for a frail, physically vulnerable lady who clearly has care needs before the fall has even happened. That's obscene to think it takes best part of 28 working days to get a lock change. I work in housing albeit not for a local authority, but there's bound to be a department that can arrange for emergency lock changes within 24 hrs. Shocked if there isn't. And given its a communal block, it's their responsibility to ensure the safety of the block and get a fix in within a certain time of it being reported. 

Alternatively, I'd get the flat door lock fixed yourself to a better standard with a better function, and then stick a complaint in and ask for you to be reimbursed. You're well within you're rights. While you're at it, let them know you'll be taking it to the Housing Ombudsman if they don't reply or repair in a more reasonable time. 

I will be chasing it... They may have said they can't do anything but they will when you threaten them with further action if it's not sorted.. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I will be chasing it... They may have said they can't do anything but they will when you threaten them with further action if it's not sorted.. 

Yep, push enough in a polite but frank and direct way and they'll take some action. I've learnt that it's not really fair to be abusive or rude in emails to them.

Hopefully whoever you deal with will see that you're just a customer who wants to help a relative out, and you're not someone who's asking for the world and spouting your mouth off in a fit of rage to someone at the other end of the phone or computer. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yep, push enough in a polite but frank and direct way and they'll take some action. I've learnt that it's not really fair to be abusive or rude in emails to them.

Hopefully whoever you deal with will see that you're just a customer who wants to help a relative out, and you're not someone who's asking for the world and spouting your mouth off in a fit of rage to someone at the other end of the phone or computer. 

I am never rude or aggressive with people I deal with as it solves nothing and if anything gets you further away from a resolution to your problem, A lot of people I will be speaking to don't have either the power or the means to solve my problem so giving them a bad attitude gets you no-where.. but if you say the right things to the right people then all things can be resolved eventually 

• Subscriber

Ordered a couple of items I need for the weekend using Royal Mail tracked 48. I forgot they're ok strike December 23rd and 24th. They obviously won't be working on the 25th and 26th.

What a fuck up I've done.

I can’t post in your thread and I already typed it out @Toinho

Food: You can literally find good food anywhere, if you can’t you are either picky or not looking well Chicago is flush with everything, if you want you can find it.Honestly, though I never had a bad thing in Montreal and the coffee was unreal.

Culture: I don’t really know what this means. Friendliness? Probably rural Australia where what you see is what you get, for better and worse.

Nightlife: I’m not much of a nightlife guy and my nightlife years were 18-21 but fuck did I go hard in the Valley in Brisbane. Fuck yeah.

History:The historic sites in Manila were strange, such a cross section between Spanish, Chinese, Indigenous, and American influence. You can literally see in parts of the country where different cultures were present. Then in the bay Corrigedor Island is a time warp to WW2

Cleanliness: Depends what you mean, in terms of tidiness of the urban sprawl I find Australian cities to be tidy in general. Of course not everywhere is perfect but for the most part they do a good job.

Natural beauty: Sunshine Coast hinterland probably. 

• Upvote 1

38 degrees yesterday and our evaporative air unit carked it. Managed to get someone out just now (39 degrees) to come out and look. Gonna cost at least $1000. But my god it’s needed it’s 30-32 degrees inside uhh and it’s only 11:30.

Reverse cycle air con units are the way to go but with our walls and living area design it’s very tricky and will cost near $9,000 for one unit. Life. 

Edited by Toinho

I was bitten the other day off something, maybe when asleep or while putting my tshirt on, I'm unsure. Either way, it has puffed out, swelled up and become painful after like 5 days.

The thing is, they are 2 fang marks, which means it can only be a spider. Only I can get bitten off a spider in the UK.

The problem is, I hate phoning the doctors..it takes 10 hours to get through and then they will either tell you to take a picture and send it to them or go to a chemist(how professional), then the pharmacist will tell you you need to see a GP. I've had it all before and I end up just going to A&E when something worsens.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

I've been bitten by:

Dog

Monkey 

Parrot 

Female human

Midgey 

Mosquito

Horse fly

Flea

Now spider

Stung by:

Wasps

Attacked by:

Swans

Geese

Scratched by:

Cat

Scared the fuck out by:

Fox(running out in front of me while while cycling)

Deer(ran out of the bushes and nearly took me out at 5 in rhe morning while fishing.

Mouse: randomly running around my tent once.

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Haha 1