talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

football forum
4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Fucking hell. I didn't realise you were that young.

Happy birthday for tomorrow pal.

Ha, thanks mate :D!

football forum

I'm just glad that the sign is written in English rather than being in that mental Welsh dialect. 

The phrase "Chicken Pie" in itself would take up half the page.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

@SirBalon @Kowabunga

Mind recommending me some material on Franco and la guerra civil? I was at bookstore today and I couldn't find a single piece!

Some of the best books on these things about the Spanish Civil War or Franco have been written by foreigners because they tend to be more objective and less ideologically driven by it all.  Remember that everyone in Spain was affected in some way or another by either the Civil War and or living in Franco's dictatorship which lasted over 40 years.  So it's to understand that a Spaniard will have some sort of swaying fixture set in their mind when writing about these things...  All the same, there are some neutral and rather objective books written by Spaniards with accounts from family members that lived through the period.  It's like when I recount the stories my father or my grandparents told about it all...  On my mum's side my granddad lost an eye in the affair while on my dad's side my grandfather had to leave Spain for Cuba.

Anyway...  Here's the books I think are as objective as possible.  Maybe Kowabunga has a more extensive knowledge on this and can help you more mate Paul Preston's stuff is top notch in my opinion.

1. La Guerra Civil Española (Paul Preston)
  2. Franco 'Debate' (Paul Preston)
  3. Los Mítos De La Guerra Civil (Pío Moa)
  4. Una Historia De La Guerra Civil Que No Le Va A Gustar A Nadie (Eslava Galán)
  5. 40 Años Con Franco (Julián Casanova)

The fifth option by Julián Casanova I've given you tells you how censorship and the closure Franco forced Spain into affected things and is another important outlook on Spanish society and why it is how it is today.  Each one of those books will offer you a different view and how it affected society.  They're my favourites although I can't even begin to tell you how much I've read up on the stuff since I was a teenager.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Spike said:

@SirBalon @Kowabunga

Mind recommending me some material on Franco and la guerra civil? I was at bookstore today and I couldn't find a single piece!

By the way mate...  I don't know if you've read Ernest Hemingway's accounts of the Spanish Civil War.

You will obviously know about him as he's an international artist of letters but even though he was very anti Franco, he did try to be as objective as possible in many of his accounts.

His famous book "For Whom The Bell Tolls" 1940 is a classic!

19386329_303.jpg

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

By the way mate...  I don't know if you've read Ernest Hemingway's accounts of the Spanish Civil War.

You will obviously know about him as he's an international artist of letters but even though he was very anti Franco, he did try to be as objective as possible in many of his accounts.

His famous book "For Whom The Bell Tolls" 1940 is a classic!

I bought that book when I was in Petoskey (Hemmingway's home for a long time) and I do not remember what I did with it. I did not read that novel and it irks me that I didn't, I adored 'The Old Man and the Sea', so I'm sure I'd enjoy 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' as well. The CIA robbed America of a literary genius. Bastards.

I find myself falling in love with a country I've never been to.

Edited by Spike

3 hours ago, Spike said:

I bought that book when I was in Petoskey (Hemmingway's home for a long time) and I do not remember what I did with it. I did not read that novel and it irks me that I didn't, I adored 'The Old Man and the Sea', so I'm sure I'd enjoy 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' as well. The CIA robbed America of a literary genius. Bastards.

I find myself falling in love with a country I've never been to.

If you like small personal stories, Paul Preston's  "Las tres españas del 36" (I think the English equivalent for the book is ''Comrades: Portraits from the Spanish Civil War'', although it probably has less chapters) and "Doves of War" are lovely options. They are easy to read (first one is about men and women, while the latter about women). You can combine Preston (leftist) that with a  right-wing take like Stanley G. Payne's (it's worth noting as the later has aged up, he's become close to an hagiographic approach with Franco in his last biographies about the Generalissimo).

If you want to rediscover the much maligned (by Francoist sources) Juan Negrín under a positive light, Viñas, Moradiellos or even Preston could be good options. If a bit dense. Casanova is most sure to be in English.

The last I've read is "Contrarrevolucionarios. Radicalización violenta de las derechas durante la Segunda República 1931-1936" about the radicalization of the right wing predating the 1936 coup by González Calleja. Personally, I find it very interesting, although I don't think it is apt for getting the bigger picture (as it only analyses one side). Don't think it is available in English.

• Upvote 1

football forum
17 hours ago, Stan said:

Happy belated birthday to our resident druggie @Cannabis

17 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

Happy belated birthday, you cunt! 

15 hours ago, Berserker said:

Happy Birthday Marty.

15 hours ago, Blue said:

Happy birthday @Cannabis mate! :) 

15 hours ago, Any O'Brien said:

HB, Cannabis. Prick.

10 hours ago, Batard said:

Happy birthday Martin. Don’t get old. Never be old.

@Cannabis

9 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Happy Birthday @Cannabis mate!  ;)

Thanks for the well wishes you bunch of spastics :x! I'm getting old...

Just now, Cannabis said:

I couldn't be arsed driving out of Newcastle just to find a takeaway with more than one star. 

I'd just eat there.

xD The thing is you are not wrong, everything apart from Dominos and Papa John's is 1 star brink of being closed down.

But at £2 for a 12 inch Pizza beggars can't be choosers. 

Chris Wood and Winston Reid have been spending time right by my house. I can't decide if I should get a picture with them and then just let them bugger off tomorrow or if I should just leave it xD