talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I have marked them down for that poor start to the video. 

A for effort but B- for execution.

I can imagine taking you to the cinema to watch a great film like Schindler's List and the only comment you would make about it after is that you felt the need to point out that the guns the Germans were using were from WW1 and not WW2... 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I can imagine taking you to the cinema to watch a great film like Schindler's List and the only comment you would make about it after is that you felt the need to point out that the guns the Germans were using were from WW1 and not WW2... 

Given you were there for both wars, only you would know the difference :P

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Given you were there for both wars, only you would know the difference :P

I hope your missus knows what she is doing... going the long haul with you after a year is going to feel like she is wading through treacle the whole time... I feel sorry for her already.. xD

• Haha 1

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I hope your missus knows what she is doing... going the long haul with you after a year is going to feel like she is wading through treacle the whole time... I feel sorry for her already.. xD

Are you related to The Artful Dodger?

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

I didn't even know it was Fathers Day today until our son stuck this in front of me and said "Happy Fathers Day you old git...", that will go down well later after dinner. :P  :hh:

thumbnail_20200621_130001.thumb.jpg.66cb48a7bb62e3493b628a06710f8039.jpg

Edited by CaaC (John)

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

We know you come on here to get away from your kids but you're all great :D

Won't be getting away with it tomorrow though now these Lockdown rules have been relaxed, the daughter will be popping in with wee Kaiden and as per norm he will plonk his bum next to the wife, grab the tv remote control and turn on his kiddies shows then tell the wife "Hurry up granny and make my cheese macaroni with skinny chips, please." xD

Our daughter sent me a message on Facebook...

738720378_download(2).png.60e0579ce3cdd8dca1406724d69fa3b4.png

104849128_10221666941718686_122517075801551660_n.thumb.jpg.c4f1e6af014ae56539cd8c1d15d58d66.jpg

• Upvote 2

So - I need a bit of advice.

I don't get on with my parents. I've always had a very shaky relationship with my mother and am at a stage of breaking point with her. My younger sister has never had to pay rent, even when she had a job. As soon as I hit 16, I was expected to provide money for rent and did, even if it meant I had nothing for myself. I reckon that, having just turned 21, I've given them just shy of £10K give or take a little. That's a fucking tonne in my eyes, especially when I factor in that I have to buy my own food and things 95% of the time. This is despite using home as little more as a place to sleep and a place to keep my things.

Suddenly, as the pandemic draws to a close, I find myself being actively threatened to cough up £60 a week rent as well as pay for everything else. I'm set to embark on my Masters degree and have my savings in place to pay it off. Yet, no matter how I push this, they now want to milk me of nearly double this. I have nowhere else to go but I refuse to put my education down for their show of greed and lack of understanding. As almost a way of making me pay, they keep turning off the wi-fi whenever I'm doing prep research for September. What do you reckon I should say to them? It's so childish.

Edited by Deco

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Deco said:

I don't get on with my parents. I've always had a very shaky relationship with my mother and am at a stage of breaking point with her. My younger sister has never had to pay rent, even when she had a job. As soon as I hit 16, I was expected to provide money for rent and did, even if it meant I had nothing for myself. I reckon that, having just turned 21, I've given them just shy of £10K give or take a little. That's a fucking tonne in my eyes, especially when I factor in that I have to buy my own food and things 95% of the time. This is despite using home as little more as a place to sleep and a place to keep my things.

Suddenly, as the pandemic draws to a close, I find myself being actively threatened to cough up £60 a week rent as well as pay for everything else. I'm set to embark on my Masters degree and have my savings in place to pay it off. Yet, no matter how I push this, they now want to milk me of nearly double this. I have nowhere else to go but I refuse to put my education down for their show of greed and lack of understanding. As almost a way of making me pay, they keep turning off the wi-fi whenever I'm doing prep research for September. What do you reckon I should say to them? It's so childish.

Is there a possibility of you being able to move out or share rent with anyone?

Is a bit off they expect you to pay rent but not your sister.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Deco said:

Get out of there as soon as you can.

43 minutes ago, Stan said:

Is there a possibility of you being able to move out or share rent with anyone?

Is a bit off they expect you to pay rent but not your sister.

Unfortunately there’s not. The ones I could try would have me on a sofa or they still live with their parents. Joys of being 21!

I’m the eldest: for some reason this is apparently a show of jurisdiction. Damn, I got a first in my dissertation and that was dismissed as nothing, whereas a near fail in her A-Levels was met with applause.

45 minutes ago, nudge said:

Get out of there as soon as you can.

The problem is that I could but it would mean taking on a large student debt to cover my back on my Masters. Otherwise I’d have gone sooner!

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Deco said:

The problem is that I could but it would mean taking on a large student debt to cover my back on my Masters. Otherwise I’d have gone sooner!

Yeah, taking on a large student debt doesn't sound great... do you have a job? If not, any chance of getting one (part-time, maybe?) or some other side gig for extra money to pay for a shared flat or something like that? Maybe try to enquire about any TA positions available at uni once you start your Masters? That's what paid part of my bills when I was doing mine, always a good idea to ask around. What about student housing? Any chance of getting that? 

I do hope you find a way out of it, that's a terrible situation to be in, especially  for a 21 year old, and I'm sorry to hear that your family doesn't support you. It's not how it should be... 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, taking on a large student debt doesn't sound great... do you have a job? If not, any chance of getting one (part-time, maybe?) or some other side gig for extra money to pay for a shared flat or something like that? Maybe try to enquire about any TA positions available at uni once you start your Masters? That's what paid part of my bills when I was doing mine, always a good idea to ask around. What about student housing? Any chance of getting that? 

I do hope you find a way out of it, that's a terrible situation to be in, especially  for a 21 year old, and I'm sorry to hear that your family doesn't support you. It's not how it should be... 

I do! I work behind a bar, and I get a fair few shifts in. I’ve been saving my money for ages and had intended to use it for a car but things change. With what they supposedly want from me at this time I’d probably end up with a hundred to myself each month from that, plus whatever else I could whittle up.

They’re strange. I can guarantee that tomorrow they’ll fully brush this aside if it doesn’t come up in conversation. Either way this is becoming such a regular occurrence and one I’m tired of. Will let you know what’s gone on in the morning.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Deco said:

I do! I work behind a bar, and I get a fair few shifts in. I’ve been saving my money for ages and had intended to use it for a car but things change. With what they supposedly want from me at this time I’d probably end up with a hundred to myself each month from that, plus whatever else I could whittle up.

They’re strange. I can guarantee that tomorrow they’ll fully brush this aside if it doesn’t come up in conversation. Either way this is becoming such a regular occurrence and one I’m tired of. Will let you know what’s gone on in the morning.

Good luck, hope things do get better and you find a solution that's best for you, one way or the other. 

As someone who cut ties with most of the family a few years ago, that was one of the best decisions I ever made and in all honesty, I wish I had done it earlier. I obviously don't know the specifics of your situation, and definitely don't want to give any unsolicited advice, so just one thing - don't be afraid to make changes if you feel that you're being taken advantage of, or if living there is detrimental to your well-being, especially the mental and emotional side of it. You work and study, and apparently you're also mature enough to be saving money and plan for the future, so you clearly have a good head on your shoulders and know how to support yourself - meaning you will be fine, even if things get tough at times...

• Upvote 1

My youngest daughter is finally understanding why you need a bit of patience when doing some aspects of DIY... 

She admitted to the missus yesterday that she always used to get frustrated when I didn't get something finished in one day and told her after trying to get a simple set of cupboards up and some flooring laid that she will never ever complain again!! xD