talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

playing football yesterday, last game of the tournament, and i heard a 'pop' down the back of my leg - calf/achilles area. Tried a couple of steps to run it off, couldn't as the pain was unbearable. Like a shooting pain up the back of the calf.

Not sure if it's something to do with the achilles or if it's just a calf strain. Put ice on it when I got home and then went to bed. Pain hasn't reduced overnight which is concerning. Can barely put pressure on it when I walk around. 

Anyone else ever had similar? If so, what worked for recovery?

The recovery time will depend on the damage you may have actually done. If it's a pull then it's obviously a shorter spell but if it's a tear it could be a couple of months or more spending on how bad it is. The popping sound doesn't sound too promising but I suggest you go and see your doctor so as to find out what the damage is and what you should do next.  What I wouldn't do is overuse the area until you find out.  All obvious stuff but our first instincts are to stretch these things hoping it's just a strain.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

playing football yesterday, last game of the tournament, and i heard a 'pop' down the back of my leg - calf/achilles area. Tried a couple of steps to run it off, couldn't as the pain was unbearable. Like a shooting pain up the back of the calf.

Not sure if it's something to do with the achilles or if it's just a calf strain. Put ice on it when I got home and then went to bed. Pain hasn't reduced overnight which is concerning. Can barely put pressure on it when I walk around. 

Anyone else ever had similar? If so, what worked for recovery?

Ironically, while there was no pop, I did pull my calf playing badminton a few weeks ago. For me, I nabbed some paracetamol or general pain killers and let it heal up on its own as I could walk on it but very slowly to begin.

For you though, it sounds like a possible tear based on the part in bold, especially as you can't put pressure on it. A mate of mine did something similar a few months back and was on crutches for a couple of weeks, so I'd give the doctors a buzz asap.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

The recovery time will depend on the damage you may have actually done. If it's a pull then it's obviously a shorter spell but if it's a tear it could be a couple of months or more spending on how bad it is. The popping sound doesn't sound too promising but I suggest you go and see your doctor so as to find out what the damage is and what you should do next.  What I wouldn't do is overuse the area until you find out.  All obvious stuff but our first instincts are to stretch these things hoping it's just a strain.

2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Ironically, while there was no pop, I did pull my calf playing badminton a few weeks ago. For me, I nabbed some paracetamol or general pain killers and let it heal up on its own as I could walk on it but very slowly to begin.

For you though, it sounds like a possible tear based on the part in bold, especially as you can't put pressure on it. A mate of mine did something similar a few months back and was on crutches for a couple of weeks, so I'd give the doctors a buzz asap.

cheers lads. 

After that post, I have been able to put slightly more pressure on it so it's not totally unbearable now. I can slowly move it more and it's a tad more flexible. Still feel it strain sharply sometimes though. Had to go in to the office for work so that was a bit testing when I was driving. 

Tempted just to stick with painkillers and heal naturally as opposed to going to doctors just yet given it's improved in the last few hours and I'm trying to keep it relatively active. 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Don't know if it's the way you're standing but your right leg looks really swollen?

probably the way I'm standing. There's a wedge underneath my foot and in the boot to keep the foot raised a bit so probably that. 

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

They’ve replaced the whole limb? O.o

So what did they say it is in the end?  Immobilising it is the best method for a quicker recovery no matter what type of muscle injury it is. 

Strained achilles tendon. I have to go back to hospital on Wednesday for x-rays and check-up to see if anything needs adjusting or if I still need the boot. 

I've only had the boot for a couple of hours and it's made a hell of a difference already. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

probably the way I'm standing. There's a wedge underneath my foot and in the boot to keep the foot raised a bit so probably that. 

Strained achilles tendon. I have to go back to hospital on Wednesday for x-rays and check-up to see if anything needs adjusting or if I still need the boot. 

I've only had the boot for a couple of hours and it's made a hell of a difference already. 

If it’s just a strain it’ll heal quickly if it’s immobilised. Must’ve been a real dodgy move you made or didn’t warm up at all beforehand. 

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

If it’s just a strain it’ll heal quickly if it’s immobilised. Must’ve been a real dodgy move you made or didn’t warm up at all beforehand. 

yeah hopefully. i hate missing football :( 

Warmed up normally and no dodgy moves. Might have just overworked it and it was a new(ish) surface we played on too.

• Administrator

resting my foot all weekend, load of sport watched. Shame the cricket ended within 3 days but now there's tennis on and Nadal is playing. 

What a life. 

4 hours ago, Devon Von Devon said:

The Greatest Overrated Athlete Tilltoday - Beckham

Ha - I meant Ronaldo. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

resting my foot all weekend, load of sport watched. Shame the cricket ended within 3 days but now there's tennis on and Nadal is playing. 

What a life. 

I seriously need to figure out Cricket and Rugby. There is a cricket league near me that is full of just older men from India, and I'm highly intrigued about the rules of the sport. 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Eco said:

Ha - I meant Ronaldo. 

I seriously need to figure out Cricket and Rugby. There is a cricket league near me that is full of just older men from India, and I'm highly intrigued about the rules of the sport. 

Cricket > Rugby :) 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Cricket > Rugby :) 

Cricket > Rugby + Baseball + Basketball 

and even football some types. This common stereotype that Cricket is boring to watch, i swear there are more boring football games nowadays then Cricket.

• Administrator
Just now, Devon Von Devon said:

Cricket > Rugby + Baseball + Basketball 

and even football some types. This common stereotype that Cricket is boring to watch, i swear there are more boring football games nowadays then Cricket.

agreed. test matches get too much of a bad rap by people who don't watch cricket at all. 

Some test matches can be brilliant to watch - take the latest 2 between England and Pakistan for example. 

Apologies if I sound like an attention seeker, but as of late I've been trying to invite a couple people to my podcast and they are not even giving me a chance to talk to them, never mind invite them. Then I have a few other important things I need to get off my chest and they are just ignoring me.

Its genuinely getting on my tits. I don't have a problem with people ignoring me, it often means they aren't interested in talking to me. But I am a serious person that will not tolerate it if its something important. I don't buy this "I'm busy" excuse.

Some people have been binned off, including a part of my family. 

Just now, Cannabis said:

It's important to you, but it might not be for them. Be humble.

This is very true, but it still annoys me that some people don't give me the chance to talk to them about this. They could repay the favour and at least read what I said. 

Its this modern mentality that people are too scared to say no. Some people don't even read what I said, which annoys me. Again, if they say they are busy, its 99% of the time a lie. 

3 hours ago, Blue said:

This is very true, but it still annoys me that some people don't give me the chance to talk to them about this. They could repay the favour and at least read what I said. 

Its this modern mentality that people are too scared to say no. Some people don't even read what I said, which annoys me. Again, if they say they are busy, its 99% of the time a lie. 

A key to life that I'm slowly trying to learn, is to just control what you can control. 

Meaning don't worry about other people, their actions, or answers to your requests, just move on. Them effecting you this much AFTER the fact just goes to show how much control over you they have. 

Learn to move on and not get bogged down with the past.