• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I started a TEFL course again @nudge

Hopefully this time I'll actually complete it xD

Which one? I did the iCAL 120 hours one many years ago, never actually used it but thought it's good to have as a backup plan... 

Do you intend to teach? 

Just now, nudge said:

Which one? I did the iCAL 120 hours one many years ago, never actually used it but thought it's good to have as a backup plan... 

Do you intend to teach? 

The 168 hour one. And yes, online or presencial I want a backup plan. Either if I become an expat like I wanted or if I just need some extra cash made from teaching at home.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Mpache said:

The 168 hour one. And yes, online or presencial I want a backup plan. Either if I become an expat like I wanted or if I just need some extra cash made from teaching at home.

Yeah, I know a few people who are making a living teaching Chinese kids online, it's not easy to get into but it can definitely pay your bills if you're persistent and good enough. For native English speakers, that's probably the easiest way to earn regular money from home.

If you decide to work as an English teacher in an actual school while you're traveling or living abroad though, please make sure you commit to it and do your absolute best. There are too many wankers who are using their tefl certificates and native English speaker status in order to finance their short, alcohol and drugs fueled trips in developing countries, and then fuck off after a month a two, leaving the kids with no teacher and no continuity in their education. 

After Germany won the 2014 world cup I bought a cocker spaniel puppy and named him Sami. I already had plans to buy a dog before the cup, I just named him because of the WC victory. I raised him for 4.5 years until I moved out into an apartment, I gave him to a yuppie friend of a friend because I knew the young well to do family would look after him, and that I'd get to seem him a couple times a year. 

He passed away this morning aged 6. Heart attack, poor little fella, I know I'm not generally an emotional person but I loved that precious little dog like a son. 

RIP Sami

• Sad 2

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Used too much headphones now my ears are dry, rashy and one has got a pimple in it, Earache is underrated 

Get some oil in them. 

Or better fitting headphones. 

Or both. 

• Upvote 1

On 20/07/2020 at 22:52, nudge said:

Yeah, I know a few people who are making a living teaching Chinese kids online, it's not easy to get into but it can definitely pay your bills if you're persistent and good enough. For native English speakers, that's probably the easiest way to earn regular money from home.

If you decide to work as an English teacher in an actual school while you're traveling or living abroad though, please make sure you commit to it and do your absolute best. There are too many wankers who are using their tefl certificates and native English speaker status in order to finance their short, alcohol and drugs fueled trips in developing countries, and then fuck off after a month a two, leaving the kids with no teacher and no continuity in their education. 

If they’re proper teachers at proper schools you need more than just a tefl. 

3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Not true for every country, but yes. A masters in Education is required for a lot of schools.

By proper teacher I meant in an international school setting. 

There are so many opportunities out there for people who complete TEFl, TESOL, CELTA, or whatever they’re called and some of those people can be amazing. You’re just usually likely to get someone who wants a holiday. 

I don’t have a masters, but in the future I’m looking to further my own education by doing some post-grad stuff.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Toinho said:

If they’re proper teachers at proper schools you need more than just a tefl. 

Well, that's how it should be, but unfortunately, that's not always the case. Pretty much all over Southeast Asia, many private schools with good reputation, international schools and language centers only require a bachelor's degree (NOT necessarily in teaching - can be completely unrelated, which is bloody ridiculous) and a native speaker status (or proof of fluency if you're a non-native), some ask for TEFL/TESOL/CELTA in addition to that. Sadly, actual teaching qualifications, experience and relevant educational background are seen as a plus (and a bargaining chip for better salary), but not as a non-negotiable requirement. There are obviously some exceptions, but the massive shortage of foreign teachers means that even proper schools are often forced to fill their positions with people who don't necessarily have appropriate qualifications. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Well, that's how it should be, but unfortunately, that's not always the case. Pretty much all over Southeast Asia, many private schools with good reputation, international schools and language centers only require a bachelor's degree (NOT necessarily in teaching - can be completely unrelated, which is bloody ridiculous) and a native speaker status (or proof of fluency if you're a non-native), some ask for TEFL/TESOL/CELTA in addition to that. Sadly, actual teaching qualifications, experience and relevant educational background are seen as a plus (and a bargaining chip for better salary), but not as a non-negotiable requirement. There are obviously some exceptions, but the massive shortage of foreign teachers means that even proper schools are often forced to fill their positions with people who don't necessarily have appropriate qualifications. 

I stand mistaken. 
Although, now I think about it my mate was in Jakarta teaching at an international school for years with no formal qualifications so to speak. He came back here a few years ago and completed an education degree and is now smashing it at a good school! 

At the school I was at in Japan, if you taught the kindergarten kids you didn’t need an education background... crazy when you think how important that age is. There were many good educators though, during the years I was there, so that was good for those kids! 

Edited by Toinho

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I stand mistaken. 
Although, now I think about it my mate was in Jakarta teaching at an international school for years with no formal qualifications so to speak. He came back here a few years ago and completed an education degree and is now smashing it at a good school! 

I'm sure there are people out there with little to no formal qualifications who are still doing a stellar job; I also knew someone who got hired in Vietnam without it, but took the job seriously and got certified later on, not because the school required it, but because he wanted to improve as a teacher and give more to his students. So even without formal qualifications, one's attitude can make a huge difference. As you said though, the problem is that the majority of the teflers are only looking for means to finance their prolonged holiday or travels, not realising (or rather not caring) that they are doing so at the expense of the kids and quality of their education, especially in countries where education is the absolute key to development and improving the living standards. 

• Upvote 1