talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Can't say they were ever the fashion round our way.... Were they like Moon Boots or something??? :ph34r:

Making fun of foreigners whose native language is not English is a new low, even for you. :ph34r:

• Subscriber

I can remember playing 'Knock Up Ginger', our council house neighbours' front doors faced each other down a pathway, we would get a rope and leave it loose in the middle and tie it to both knockers then knock on both doors then run and hide and watch them trying to open their front door's. xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Used to love hedge jumping too when we were kids, jump onto a hedge and roll over into the lawn on the other side then get chased by an angry old woman or man.

But I tried that in Australia when we emigrated out there and nearly broke my arms and leg, they always put bloody fences inside their hedges out there. O.o

4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

s2e14.jpg

You know it's strange... even though I move with the times and understand the need for changing ones attitude in relation to some things I still feel oddly out of place or out of touch with some things.. I was playing a word search game with Leelah on Friday night and I let her explain the rules to me and that we had to find the word and the person who found the most was the winner, you had to lay these coloured counters down once you found the word...

So we started off and she found 2 straight away which I assume she knew about in advance the little cheater.. Anyway, I proceeded to show no mercy after that and quickly took the lead and she told me it was unfair.. When I asked her why she told me that it makes the other person sad.. So when we did the next word I jokingly told her "Found It" straight away and she looked at me and said "Really" I then said no and that I was just joking and then she told me I couldn't do that either.. When I asked her why she said it's not fair to tease people.. Now I appreciate it's not fair to tease people based on looks, gender, size or disability etc which is good but they are sucking all the life out of harmless fun... 

I think the older generation should be issued an 'Old Dude' card that we can wave about when we say something that might be considered out of turn and everyone has to just suck it up... 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I can remember playing 'Knock Up Ginger', our council house neighbours' front doors faced each other down a pathway, we would get a rope and leave it loose in the middle and tie it to both knockers then knock on both doors then run and hide and watch them trying to open their front door's. xD

12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I read that as "Knock up a ginger" and thought you made a game out of getting red haired women pregnant. 

Think you could be a victim of a hate crime there John.... 

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yea, I get that. But you can always turn your phone off if you actively want to do something like that for some time. 

Also, when you were in the middle of nowhere, and you needed help, you were pretty much fucked. Now, help is just one phone call from the thing in your pocket away. Then again, phone boots were fun for us as kids. Always did prank calls from there. xD

Yeah, but today, there's an expectation to always be connected and accessible... Can you get away with turning off your phone for a few hours? Of course. But try staying offline for extended periods of time, and then once you turn your phone on back again, you're barraged with missed calls, messages, work emails and whatnot. Not being accessible to your family, friends, colleagues, boss is just NOT the norm anymore, and I kinda miss the times when it was 😅 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

You know it's strange... even though I move with the times and understand the need for changing ones attitude in relation to some things I still feel oddly out of place or out of touch with some things.

Reminds me of this. 

xD

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

You know it's strange... even though I move with the times and understand the need for changing ones attitude in relation to some things I still feel oddly out of place or out of touch with some things.

As old ones can get like that nowadays, me sitting here watching wee Kaiden when he is here with the tv remote control, mobile phone, iPad, changing tv channels, texting on his mobile, never like that when I was a kid, no mobiles, nowt, just a Beano or Dandy book to read and that was it.

2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

As old ones can get like that nowadays, me sitting here watching wee Kaiden when he is here with the tv remote control, mobile phone, iPad, changing tv channels, texting on his mobile, never like that when I was a kid, no mobiles, nowt, just a Beano or Dandy book to read and that was it.

That's sad, at least i could have a fight with my older brother back than.:ph34r:

• Subscriber

So I live in a village near Skipton, and my friend lives in Burnley. On Saturday we’re heading down to London for a battle rap event at Brixton Jamm. Just been looking at easiest travel routes, it’s looking like getting to Manchester for a train to London which is just over 2 hours. But that means I have to travel to Burnley to meet my mate and then get to Manchester. As opposed to a train from Skipton or Burnley which is double that time.

Said train Return is close to £100. There must be a cheaper way… anyone who regular travels the country any recommendations? @Carnivore Chris what you saying mate.

Edited by JoshBRFC
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

So I live in a village near Skipton, and my friend lives in Burnley. On Saturday we’re heading down to London for a battle rap event at Brixton Jamm. Just been looking at easiest travel routes, it’s looking like getting to Manchester for a train to London which is just over 2 hours. But that means I have to travel to Burnley to meet my mate and then get to Manchester. As opposed to a train from Skipton or Burnley which is double that time.

Said train Return is close to £100. There must be a cheaper way… anyone who regular travels the country any recommendations? @Carnivore Chris what you saying mate.

Honestly mate probably not, the price of trains is pretty high. Unless you drove or there was a coach somewhere then I don't know what else to suggest mate.

Some places are shit to get to as well. Lancaster to Preston is 20 miles and takes 14 minutes, while other places that are 20 mile away can take an hour an half via train due to the stupid routes. I fucking hate trains in this country. The amount of cancellations is ridiculous as well.

Maybe meeting your mate in Manchester instead would be better?

Also, who is battling?

Edited by Carnivore Chris
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Honestly mate probably not, the price of trains is pretty high. Unless you drove or there was a coach somewhere then I don't know what else to suggest mate.

Some places are shit to get to as well. Lancaster to Preston is 20 miles and takes 14 minutes, while other places that are 20 mile away can take an hour an half via train due to the stupid routes. I fucking hate trains in this country. The amount of cancellations is ridiculous as well.

Maybe meeting your mate in Manchester instead would be better?

Also, who is battling?

The trains are an absolute disgrace in this country. The tickets cost a bomb and the trains are always being cancelled. This is something that should be completely unacceptable in an advanced country like the UK.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Michael said:

The trains are an absolute disgrace in this country. The tickets cost a bomb and the trains are always being cancelled. This is something that should be completely unacceptable in an advanced country like the UK.

Not to mention, when you request a refund for your tickets, the cheeky bastards only give you a small percentage of the money back.

You definitely can't rely on them.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Not to mention, when you request a refund for your tickets, the cheeky bastards only give you a small percentage of the money back.

Only depending on the time the train is delayed/cancelled, which to be fair is clearly marked out in T&Cs when buying the ticket, and if not that then their refund policy.

For all the times I've had trains delayed/cancelled, I've contacted them and just explained the frustration to them without losing my rag in the complaint, and they've been generous enough to give full refund (or thereabouts even if the train was delayed). If the train is delayed by only a few minutes, I wouldn't even expect a full refund anyway. 

30 minutes ago, Stan said:

Only depending on the time the train is delayed/cancelled, which to be fair is clearly marked out in T&Cs when buying the ticket, and if not that then their refund policy.

For all the times I've had trains delayed/cancelled, I've contacted them and just explained the frustration to them without losing my rag in the complaint, and they've been generous enough to give full refund (or thereabouts even if the train was delayed). If the train is delayed by only a few minutes, I wouldn't even expect a full refund anyway. 

They weren't delayed but cancelled, meaning I had to buy a new ticket for another train and pay double. In June/July especially, it happened going to the airport and back again.

Not to mention they cancel it the second it's supposed to arrive. 

They can't give you a full refund anyway because they charge around £10 to give you one, so you end up receiving like 4 quid back. Then again, you live in London and won't travel on Transpennine or Northern Rail. Different companies.

Either way, that's scamming in theory. If I go on ebay now and sell someone an item, but don't actually send them the item, does that mean I can just refund them a small percentage of the money and keep the rest? 

Another thing is how jam packed that train to Manchester airport gets. People stood up down every single aisle. Way over packed. If it crashed or there was a fire, it would be a disaster. They also don't have enough carriages and are slow as fuck.

@JoshBRFC you'd be better off walking the 300 miles mate!

Germans would be embarrassed if they came here.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

They weren't delayed but cancelled, meaning I had to buy a new ticket for another train and pay double. In June/July especially, it happened going to the airport and back again.

Not to mention they cancel it the second it's supposed to arrive. 

They can't give you a full refund anyway because they charge around £10 to give you one, so you end up receiving like 4 quid back. Then again, you live in London and won't travel on Transpennine or Northern Rail. Different companies.

Either way, that's scamming in theory. If I go on ebay now and sell someone an item, but don't actually send them the item, does that mean I can just refund them a small percentage of the money and keep the rest? 

Another thing is how jam packed that train to Manchester airport gets. People stood up down every single aisle. Way over packed. If it crashed or there was a fire, it would be a disaster. They also don't have enough carriages and are slow as fuck.

@JoshBRFC you'd be better off walking the 300 miles mate!

Germans would be embarrassed if they came here.

I don't live in London but I do see what you're saying. There are various rail companies down this end of the country anyway that are just as bad when it comes to cancellations, packed trains, no seats available etc. It's not just a northern thing. 

I've never been charged for a refund - that is pretty bad. I'm surprised Consumer Rights companies haven't got involved about that. If they've promised a serviced and don't deliver it, it seems obscene to then charge for anyone wanting their money back. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

I don't live in London but I do see what you're saying. There are various rail companies down this end of the country anyway that are just as bad when it comes to cancellations, packed trains, no seats available etc. It's not just a northern thing. 

I've never been charged for a refund - that is pretty bad. I'm surprised Consumer Rights companies haven't got involved about that. If they've promised a serviced and don't deliver it, it seems obscene to then charge for anyone wanting their money back. 

It's criminal man. The thing is, I don't even use trains much these days but have still had many bad experiences, especially going to airports. 

Also you live South of Manchester, so to us you're cockney who lives in London :ph34r:.

• Upvote 1