The better place to talk football.

Garth Crooks' Team of the Week

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

not because he had a bad performance though? 

My point is you'd expect a CB being in team of the week when he'd completely shut out his rivals or at least looked solid. Stones was hardly solid as we were penetrating their back four at will for 40 minutes. I mean, what exactly did he do that was so good to be rated the best CB at the weekend?

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

My point is you'd expect a CB being in team of the week when he'd completely shut out his rivals or at least looked solid. Stones was hardly solid as we were penetrating their back four at will for 40 minutes. 

being able to penetrate the back four isn't all down to CBs though. I get what you're saying but this could also be down to lack of support from midfield (Yaya Toure pretty much gave up on challenging anyone in the 2nd half!) or from the wings because players like Clichy and Sagna get caught too far up the field. It was a very open game though and as a result defences will always be vulnerable. He made one brilliant tackle on Mane or Origi (can't remember which). A sliding tackle which if he got wrong would have resulted in a red card for him or the Liverpool player through on goal. 

4 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

being able to penetrate the back four isn't all down to CBs though. I get what you're saying but this could also be down to lack of support from midfield (Yaya Toure pretty much gave up on challenging anyone in the 2nd half!) or from the wings because players like Clichy and Sagna get caught too far up the field. It was a very open game though and as a result defences will always be vulnerable. He made one brilliant tackle on Mane or Origi (can't remember which). A sliding tackle which if he got wrong would have resulted in a red card for him or the Liverpool player through on goal. 

Fair enough, I'm not saying he had a poor game. I just didn't see him as the standout CB of the weekend that's all. Saying that, I may be biased because I didn't see Silva as the best CM in the same game either. I thought all 3 of ours had better games. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Garth Crooks' Team of the Week

Really surprised there's no Everton players.

Jagielka scores 2 in a week, Lukaku scores 2, Davies & Barkley have great games anyway. Koeman called it the most complete game their team has played. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived