The better place to talk football.

Dazn in Talks to Buy BT Sport

football forum

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Spike said:

Where the hell did DAZN come from?

They were founded in the UK, but they got massive in Canada after they started having NFL rights there. In the US they got big because of MMA and boxing and shit like that. They've grown pretty massively in the last few years.

I remember in the thread regarding the latest television deals stating that I could see BT Sport stepping away once the newest set of deals expiried due to the emergence of streaming services. I didn't anticipate that they would be open to a sale to a streaming service this quickly mind.

I was listening to Eddie Hearn discussing the advantages and potential of the DAZN streaming service/ business model on The Athletic Podcast after he made his matchroom fights exclusive to them. I thought the business model had a ceiling at the time and that ceiling was a lot lower than a BT sport buy out so fair play to them.

My contract is up in December so I'll possibly end up looking at other cost effective alternatives.

• Administrator

Interesting. Reckon a lot of BT subscriptions are based on their sport package so for them to totally consider getting rid of all of that is surprising. Maybe they don't have the pull any more because or Amazon edging their way in to the football calendar, and that's just the beginning and now maybe they can't compete. 

• Subscriber

I have the Dazn app and it’s worth it for the boxing content alone, but they have some decent on demand content on there too. I’ve watched several documentaries from R9 to Mourinho. They will set the standard going forward with the people they have on there already and their ideas and ambition going forward.

For the boxing shows, the lineup they have is the best in the world. The coup of Mike Costello was a big one.  

It was £1.99 a month for a while but has just gone up to £7.99 and still worth it.

Very surprised that BT want out of sports thoufh?! 

Interesting, only in the fact a few days ago DAZN chairman Kevin Mayer had been asked if the talk about a deal were still live, five months after BT said it was considering selling a stake in the unit, he said: "It's really quiet."

Yet now some say by the end the month a change of control?

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/dazn-possibly-interested-bt-sport-chairman-says-2021-09-15/

We shall see

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

DAZN agree deal of $800 million to buy BT Sport.

Interesting to see if Discovery come back with another bid.

I hope DAZN get it but it will be interesting to see where Frank Warren goes if they do

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

I hope DAZN get it but it will be interesting to see where Frank Warren goes if they do

His contract with BT will still stand but now with Dazn, surely!? 

Be interesting to see the 2 British Promoters together, i hope it happens and they build their shite relationship.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 05/02/2022 at 07:42, ScoRoss said:

DAZN out of negotiations. Now in exclusive negotiations with Discovery.

Shocked when i saw this in an interview the other day. 

Wonder what now for Dazn, they're desperate to get more into the UK market.

37 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Shocked when i saw this in an interview the other day. 

Wonder what now for Dazn, they're desperate to get more into the UK market.

Seems that their competing boxing rights were a major factor. 

The UK seems to be the trickiest market to break almost anywhere. Sky are such a juggernaut, anyone bidding against them just end up paying ridiculous prices.

I would have thought that they would have at least done the Premier Sports / Eleven Sports strategy of picking up the lesser rights to main sports, or picking up a fewer cheaper / niche sports.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Seems that their competing boxing rights were a major factor. 

The UK seems to be the trickiest market to break almost anywhere. Sky are such a juggernaut, anyone bidding against them just end up paying ridiculous prices.

I would have thought that they would have at least done the Premier Sports / Eleven Sports strategy of picking up the lesser rights to main sports, or picking up a fewer cheaper / niche sports.

Yeah i always assumed the boxing would be a major factor.

• 3 months later...

Eurosport and BT Sport to merge into one service. With Warner Bros. Discovery to operate the service.

With their combined rights they'll have UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, the Premier League, Premiership Rugby, UFC, the Olympic Games, tennis Grand Slams featuring the Australian Open and Roland-Garros, cycling Grand Tours including the Tour de France and Giro d’Italia and the winter sports World Cup season.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived