talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 0-1 Man City - Saturday 25th September, 2021

football forum

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

As good as this defensive Chelsea set up has been, if a team like Southampton or Newcastle set up this defensively they'd be criticised for it and 'not having a go at City'. Why is it different for Chelsea...? 

I’d agree with you but our idea isn’t to play like that, it’s just the fact that City have pinned us back. Tactically we’re being dominated, we can’t get up the pitch because City aren’t allowing us to. As Hoddle said in commentary, City always have a defender spare in their build up, that combined with their pressing means they are controlling the game. We’re not playing “defensively” because we want to, it’s just we’re getting dominated tactically.

Nobody said anything in the previous two games against City, our approach is the same today but the avenues to attack City haven’t been their due to City’s tactical approach. 

We need to put three in attack to allow us to disrupt City’s build up because at the moment, it’s too easy for them to build.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Pep will look back at that and think that City should have buried Chelsea a lot earlier in that first half when they were so dominant. If they get a better striker then they're going to be very hard to stop with the way they played today.

On 23/09/2021 at 13:55, Cicero said:

I think Tuchel will go prime Mourinho here with a "We cannot lose" mindset“

Called it. 

Was my biggest worry coming into this. Saw a level of cowardice shades of Conte’s 2nd spell. Very reactive from Tuchel today and is getting me slightly worried. Far, far too much respect to City who I thought were brilliant. 

Some very poor performances from us but the underlying issue is the set up. Interested to hear Tuchel’s post match presser. 

3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

That was a performance reminiscent of 2014-15 Chelsea, minus the the Hazard solo goal which normally got them the win.

This was exactly the same performance against City at the bridge the 2017/18 season. 

Got what we deserved and that was fuck all... 

City were better on every front, We were lacklustre, second best to almost everything and totally lacking in any creativity in the final third. When we did manage to break free and get up there we lacked imagination and decisiveness dithering about when we should have been getting those balls through to Werner and Lukaku much earlier... 

Can't say I am surprised at this result, beating City 4 on the trot was always going to be an ask and they were up for it and we failed to match their passion and intensity. I can see what Tuchel was thinking when he had both Werner and Lukaku on hoping we could defend well enough across the 90 minutes and get quick counters and maybe a goal or two but City dominated the midfield and we had no outlets to reach them.

Not sure this was the game to shake things up in that respect but live and learn.. The only blessing from today was United slipping up as well, Still, lot's of games to go yet and hopefully we can put another run together now.. 

27 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Called it. 

Was my biggest worry coming into this. Saw a level of cowardice shades of Conte’s 2nd spell. Very reactive from Tuchel today and is getting me slightly worried. Far, far too much respect to City who I thought were brilliant. 

Some very poor performances from us but the underlying issue is the set up. Interested to hear Tuchel’s post match presser. 

I was going to say exactly the same, you paid them too much respect mixed with City wanting to put one over you after the Champions League final.

I think when you look back, you've hardly made a chance and that's the most disappointing thing. Did you even have a shot?? 

Was there a need to have Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho? I don't know but that might be a valuable lesson for Chelsea today.

21 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I was going to say exactly the same, you paid them too much respect mixed with City wanting to put one over you after the Champions League final.

I think when you look back, you've hardly made a chance and that's the most disappointing thing. Did you even have a shot?? 

Was there a need to have Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho? I don't know but that might be a valuable lesson for Chelsea today.

I sensed we’d lineup that way given our next run of fixtures are relatively “easier”. Tuchel probably thought a point here would set things up nicely. A win, even better. I knew he’d set up to not lose. 

Issue is, if I knew Tuchel would set up this way, then Pep undoubtedly did as well. And it showed. Pinned everyone with their press. Execution was poor considering Alonso, Kovacic, Azpilicueta and everyone under the sun had stinkers, but the underlying issue was the set up. Tuchel now saying he was happy with the performance before the goal, which in truth is very, very annoying. He should know this type of game management  has a long lasting affect on the players, which has been the demise of Mourinho and Conte. 

I’ll gladly accept where we are with Liverpool, City, Spurs and Arsenal out the way, but our next run of games are where we struggled next season. It’s time to see if we really have improved on the matter. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

@carefreeluke Interested to hear your thoughts on the set up. I know you and I were the most vocal during Conte's second stint and his cowardice. 

Yeah mate, the worst game I've watched under Tuchel. As I said at halftime, I don't know why we went with the three in midfield, should have been three up top, with maybe Werner playing on the left or with just Werner, Ziyech and Havertz. Perhaps it was a mixture of Mount's absence, knowing how useful Werner has been against City and the fact that he maybe he felt Lukaku was undroppable because of his form which pushed him to go with the three in the centre.

With Lukaku and Werner it just meant City had a man spare in their build up from the back, where as before in previous games with three attackers against them it allowed us to press them more easily and get up the pitch. The Champions League final was just a mixture of both teams pressing high and we only dropped back deep when we scored, the difference then though when we dropped back is that we always had an outlet to get up the pitch with Werner's pace, and the fact that our front three could press on to City when needed. It also made more sense as City would chase the game the more it went on.

City didn't create much at all but they were allowed to control the game with their build up and counter press. When you allow them to control the game like that and allow them so much possession, despite them not creating much before the goal, it always end up being a weak goal you end up conceding just due to the constant wave of pressure.

It was reminiscent of Conte yeah, hopefully it doesn't happen again. Nice to see Tuchel take some responsibility after the game though, unlike Conte or Mourinho.

4 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Nice to see Tuchel take some responsibility after the game though, unlike Conte or Mourinho.

What he say? All I heard was him blaming the execution from his players if anything. I personally felt the set up directly led to those poor performances. 

• The title was changed to Chelsea 0-1 Man City - Saturday 25th September, 2021
On 25/09/2021 at 17:40, Cicero said:

@carefreeluke Interested to hear your thoughts on the set up. I know you and I were the most vocal during Conte's second stint and his cowardice. 

Cowardice. Like you'd have the balls to run a football club 😂

33 minutes ago, Rick said:

What a weird reply. You have criticised Arteta 😂

Dont call him cowardly though. I know it takes a lot of balls to be a football manager 

• The topic was unpinned
10 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Dont call him cowardly though. I know it takes a lot of balls to be a football manager 

No mate, it takes ball's to fast rope out of an helicopter while being shot at deep behind enemy lines :ph34r:  ..nothing brave about managing a football team :4_joy:

Archived