talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 6 Matches - Saturday 25th September, 2021

football forum

• Subscriber

Sounds like a routine win for us. People a bit underwhelmed. Idiots. We would have killed for a routine home win or two last season and it would have got us into Europe.

Important ahead of the likely defeat to Man Utd next week because if we'd had the 3-0 Villa loss, the cup exit, a slip-up at home to Norwich and a beating at Old Trafford, there'd be riots already. This was one of my main scepticisms of the Benitez appointment, Everton have been a team that are always about 3 games away from a crisis for many years now. Until he can establish his regime and be seen as a Blue not a Red by our fans, it's more like a game and a half away. But not today at least.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus. Football is so weird. When things aren't going for you, why is it literally everything seems to go wrong?

That West Ham equaliser was deflating, a shot that was going closer to the corner flag than our goal horribly deflected in and it was at that point we looked done. You just knew we'd lose it late on.

Tough times at the minute although I have to say, we missed a great chance at 1-0 to kill the game. 

Raphinha is brilliant but like last week v Newcastle, soon as he goes off the pitch, our attack begins to look very ordinary.

Not going to panic just yet although we've lost 3pts from these last two matches, it's early days still but it's quite important we get the monkey off our back soon and not feel too sorry for ourselves.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Here's an anti gambling ad if anyone ever needed one. 

After Oles comments mid week, with a home game, united were always nailed on to get a pen. 
With Ronaldo and Penandes as takers they were always nailed on to score it

I put $10 on at $4.50

I was betrayed. 

I was going to back them to score one and forgot to. Couldn't believe the luck.

Although it was cancelled out by Chris Kavanagh's failure to book Nick Pope. That just seemed obvious given Burnley's timewasting from the first half, and he got away with probably knocking a good 7 minutes off the game himself. Kavanagh not interested though.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Out of interest, why does none of your fan base appear bothered that a supporter of the club leaks the team sheet sometimes hours before kick off? Managers of other clubs have commented on how this sort of behaviour benefits the opposition but he seems to get a free pass. 

Only thing Steve Bruce has improved on in the last ten years is his pace.

We've been quite bad for teamsheet leaks for years now. Was suspected that the reason we let our physio of 20 years ago was linked to it. Either that wasn't the case, or it was but there's now another.

I get our team news probably an hour or so before it gets announced publicly usually but that's just simply having a decent contact.

• Subscriber

Recollect some thoughts on our game.

- Poor result and no other way of dressing it up. Burnley had 1 point in 8 games going into that and we've needed a late equaliser to get the point and VAR saving us by about an inch to prevent their winner. You cannot be anything other than concerned by how we've started. It's probably our poorest start to a season since 2016/17. We've picked up 7 points - 1 of them as stated against a team who had 1 point from 8 games going into this, the other 6 coming against teams who've lost a combined 10 games from 11 so far. It's dog shit.

- Today also proves that the faults run further than simply Maddison or Perez stunting us. They've both been bad but they aren't the sole issue.

- Our defence, maybe it's expected given the absentees but fuck me, totally shambolic stuff today. I have to say I am very disappointed in the Southampton duo, although given they've not exactly been renowned for their defence in the last few seasons it shouldn't come as a huge surprise. Bertrand looks no better than Luke Thomas and Vestergaard, seriously, I'd come round to the idea of him after initial scepticism but he's got real flaws, he's seriously quite lean, he hasn't got the strength I thought he would have. The lack of pace we all knew was obvious but I thought an aerially dominant, tough defender with a decent pass on him would make up for this. How are you getting outmuscled by Vydra? It's happened a few times already. Not convinced at all by either of them yet. We look no more solid than we did with Thomas & Amartey in the side and that's worrying.

- Vardy's still got it. 7 in 7 for him now. Always been very streaky but there's life in the old dog.

- Lookman's the most impressive new signing comfortably so far. Thought he was lively again today and involved in most of the good that we did. I want him to get a good 8-10 game run of starts now to see what he can really produce.

- Another Iheanacho assist. This blokes numbers are absolutely ridiculous this year. He has seriously turned it around here - I just don't think the manager is as confident in him as the fans have become. He's become a real favourite now.

- Maddison booed on, again, not bothered about the "it was for Lookman coming off" which is a complete guess anyway. It's a bad message. Our fans were definitely wound up today but this is just seriously counter productive. The amount of people piling out at 2-2 as well. We've become a pretty dreadful fanbase.

- Chris Kavanagh was a joke again. Pathetically lenient with Burnley's blatant cynical fouling and timewasting, should've been a minimum of 8 cards. Are they under some kind of instruction to not clamp down on it? I can't explain how experienced referees don't see it.

7 hours ago, Dan said:

Recollect some thoughts on our game.

- Poor result and no other way of dressing it up. Burnley had 1 point in 8 games going into that and we've needed a late equaliser to get the point and VAR saving us by about an inch to prevent their winner. You cannot be anything other than concerned by how we've started. It's probably our poorest start to a season since 2016/17. We've picked up 7 points - 1 of them as stated against a team who had 1 point from 8 games going into this, the other 6 coming against teams who've lost a combined 10 games from 11 so far. It's dog shit.

- Today also proves that the faults run further than simply Maddison or Perez stunting us. They've both been bad but they aren't the sole issue.

- Our defence, maybe it's expected given the absentees but fuck me, totally shambolic stuff today. I have to say I am very disappointed in the Southampton duo, although given they've not exactly been renowned for their defence in the last few seasons it shouldn't come as a huge surprise. Bertrand looks no better than Luke Thomas and Vestergaard, seriously, I'd come round to the idea of him after initial scepticism but he's got real flaws, he's seriously quite lean, he hasn't got the strength I thought he would have. The lack of pace we all knew was obvious but I thought an aerially dominant, tough defender with a decent pass on him would make up for this. How are you getting outmuscled by Vydra? It's happened a few times already. Not convinced at all by either of them yet. We look no more solid than we did with Thomas & Amartey in the side and that's worrying.

- Vardy's still got it. 7 in 7 for him now. Always been very streaky but there's life in the old dog.

- Lookman's the most impressive new signing comfortably so far. Thought he was lively again today and involved in most of the good that we did. I want him to get a good 8-10 game run of starts now to see what he can really produce.

- Another Iheanacho assist. This blokes numbers are absolutely ridiculous this year. He has seriously turned it around here - I just don't think the manager is as confident in him as the fans have become. He's become a real favourite now.

- Maddison booed on, again, not bothered about the "it was for Lookman coming off" which is a complete guess anyway. It's a bad message. Our fans were definitely wound up today but this is just seriously counter productive. The amount of people piling out at 2-2 as well. We've become a pretty dreadful fanbase.

- Chris Kavanagh was a joke again. Pathetically lenient with Burnley's blatant cynical fouling and timewasting, should've been a minimum of 8 cards. Are they under some kind of instruction to not clamp down on it? I can't explain how experienced referees don't see it.

I've been there a few times in the past when my club transitioned from serious Top 4 or 5 contender to not looking quite so assured.

I wouldn't predict Leicester to drop too badly while Vardy is still around. But there certainly are worrying signs for all involved with Leicester that 4th or 5th might be a reach this season.

I had suppress laughter hearing Solskjaer's comments about the goal & the penalty gamesmanship.

I agree with Alan Shearer. Nothing wrong with Villa's goal, a direct header from a corner. If it had gone to a 2nd phase, yes, offside then.

And Martinez suggesting Ronaldo should be taking penalties? I think it's called banter. Or sledging in cricket. It's not a youth match. It's big boys football.

Villa definitely were full value for their result. It wouldn't have hurt to doff his cap to Dean Smith & Villa. Fergie would have done. And lead with comments about improving their own performance.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I've been there a few times in the past when my club transitioned from serious Top 4 or 5 contender to not looking quite so assured.

I wouldn't predict Leicester to drop too badly while Vardy is still around. But there certainly are worrying signs for all involved with Leicester that 4th or 5th might be a reach this season.

We aren't getting near 4th this season. I was thinking about this and I don't actually think 5th is a mile off for a lot of the league, but I just think we're one of many, probably a bit like Arsenal & Tottenham, that are a bit too flawed this season to get it. It feels like a real chance for a Brighton to get into Europe.

I think this run started last season. Performances have been off since February and it was only Iheanacho's ridiculous run that bailed us out. The fact he just won't start him... I don't think that ends well. It's stuff like that that causes fallouts. If you have an alternative that is working, you can sympathise but understand - but we aren't clicking at all, he has every right to wonder what the fuck is going on.

Yesterday was more about the defending than the attacking though. It really was a shitshow. Vestergaard was even worse than I thought he was at the time.

• Subscriber

I don't see how that Villa goal counts if ours last week were offside. I saw them actually bring up our goal but didn't catch what had been said - not that I think Villa's shouldn't have counted, ours were just nonsense decisions.

13 minutes ago, Dan said:

We aren't getting near 4th this season. I was thinking about this and I don't actually think 5th is a mile off for a lot of the league, but I just think we're one of many, probably a bit like Arsenal & Tottenham, that are a bit too flawed this season to get it. It feels like a real chance for a Brighton to get into Europe.

If that happens we may as well fold the league.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Dan said:

I don't see how that Villa goal counts if ours last week were offside. I saw them actually bring up our goal but didn't catch what had been said - not that I think Villa's shouldn't have counted, ours were just nonsense decisions.

Once again the inconsistency shows up and it makes a mockery of officiating in this league. 

On 25/09/2021 at 15:18, DeadLinesman said:

Glad i went to the zoo today instead of watching that fucking circus. Think Solksjaers time is up now if i’m honest.

You're one point of the top

8 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

You're one point of the top

The table masks the fact that we’ve played nobody, the football served up is awful and McFred is dire. He can’t get a tune out of Sancho and is playing 11 individuals weekly. No team spirit or resolve whatsoever.

15 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

The table masks the fact that we’ve played nobody, the football served up is awful and McFred is dire. He can’t get a tune out of Sancho and is playing 11 individuals weekly. No team spirit or resolve whatsoever.

You've improved every season under ole though. His first full season you were third then second and reached the europa league final. You haven't won anything yet under him but you are still improving. And if you did keep improving you will win something. The question is whether you can keep improving. Maybe this is as far as ole can take you on which case he would have to go but considering you were 1 step forward to steps back with previous managers I think he should get till the end of the season unless things are going really bad. It would be hard to get a top manager at the moment. Conte is the only one available but he will throw his toys out the pram after a maximum of two seasons 

• Subscriber

It's pretty obvious though that they aren't going to challenge for anything serious again, best chance of his first trophy this season blown already, they've got to aim higher now. One point off the top now but they've had comfortably the best fixture list of the expected top 4 - played 4 of the bottom 7 already.

I've thought for ages he's nowhere near the best they can get and seen nothing to change my mind. There's no excuse now. They've got the players.

• Subscriber

You look at the personnel available to Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool. In terms of personnel, it's incredibly difficult now to argue that the players are the difference between Man Utd and the other three who have all won major trophies in the last 18 months. You can argue about the odd weakness here and there but not enough to excuse them from being serious competitors. Although Solskjaer has done quite well in patches and better than some give him credit for, he is the last major area in which they're lacking compared to the others. I don't know who it is they go for but the more they spend on players like Fernandes, Maguire, Sancho, etc, the madder it is not to get an elite manager to complete the jigsaw. 

32 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

It does feel a long way removed from Man United's glory days.. of a decade or 2 back. And I feel as though I've just sensed Ole just isn't going to get them back there too.

That was a big transfer window for United, but Chelsea had another big 1, Liverpool are back at it & City are City. So some of the problem is 4 title contenders, 2 or 3 perhaps reluctant to accept they're off that pace & however many of the 'nobody' sides that are semi to fully after European football.

19 minutes ago, Dan said:

It's pretty obvious though that they aren't going to challenge for anything serious again, best chance of his first trophy this season blown already, they've got to aim higher now. One point off the top now but they've had comfortably the best fixture list of the expected top 4 - played 4 of the bottom 7 already.

I've thought for ages he's nowhere near the best they can get and seen nothing to change my mind. There's no excuse now. They've got the players.

I know what you mean. I'm just saying that they are probably the best they have been since fergie left. Certainly if they didn't make a decent total challenge this season or win anything he should go but I don't think I that is the case yet. 

• Subscriber

On paper they are, but they haven't won anything, longest run without a trophy in my lifetime I think it is. They're big enough to attract virtually anybody. It's a silly bit of sentimentality that's preventing them from challenging for real honours.

Get a Conte or a Valverde in and they will be genuine title challengers.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived