talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Squid Game (Netflix)

football forum

2 hours ago, Machado said:

The VIP pricks made me skip a few seconds when they got screen time. They broke the immersion and ridiculed the drama. Gave me Hunger Games vibes which is bad.

A bit like anime, the show is visually great and very bingeable, but it's far from excellent. The concept and the main actors, who did a great job, deserved better writing and less inconsistencies and plot holes, but as someone who has come to expect thrash shows from Netflix, this really wasn't that bad.

The last scene only makes sense to pave the way to a second season, but I don't need a second season when the biggest question in the show is already answered and boy, was the answer lukewarm.

If you haven't watched it, don't look far into it and you probably won't be disappointed. Don't believe the hype as well. A show like this was always going to be a hit in an era where battle royale and other stylish shows like Money Heist are so popular.

Your entitled to an opinion but the way I read what you said is I'm right and everyone else is wrong 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/10/2021 at 20:59, Gunnersauraus said:

Is it in subtitles or voiceover? By all accounts its brilliant 

On 02/10/2021 at 17:02, Panflute said:

Subtitles by default, but there's a voice-over option.

On 02/10/2021 at 17:19, Cicero said:

I opted for voice over and it wasn’t all that bad. 

On 02/10/2021 at 20:26, Gunnersauraus said:

Excellent. A bit hard with voice overs but very good show 

I know most of us have watched this already but found this article interesting where she talks about poor translation on this series..

I often get told by my Polish workmates that when they watch a Polish film that's dubbed into English or uses subtitles that it hardly ever reflects what's really being said... 

Apparently Netflix's English Subtitles on 'Squid Game' Make It an Entirely Different Show (msn.com)

@Bluewolf I had the subtitles on the bit where they vote to leave. It says all have to vote unanimously to leave for them to leave.  However on the subtitles it says a majority have to vote to leave which is what happened. It's something that completely changes the story. 

15 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Bluewolf I had the subtitles in by accident. On  the bit where they vote to leave. It says all have to vote. However on the subtitles it says a majority. Does  ale sense that it wont always translate properly 

I think any translations are going to have mistakes in them that's a given... You would think with all the money that's pumped into the industry as a whole they would be able to get someone that could translate accurately though.. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I think any translations are going to have mistakes in them that's a given... You would think with all the money that's pumped into the industry as a whole they would be able to get someone that could translate accurately though.. 

I used to do quite a bit of translation/subtitling/closed captioning as a side gig in the past. Netflix outsource their subtitling work to several agencies in numerous countries, and the problem is that most of those agencies are not willing to pay their translators/transcriptors/subtitlers (who are also usually contracted on "per audio minute" rate) adequately, therefore the jobs often go not to the best qualified, but to those who accept a much lower pay... So no wonder that the quality is often lacking. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Really.... Sounds like a cushy job B|

It looks easier and cushier than it is... There are certain rules and restrictions that you always have to adhere to when subtitling that are extremely limiting to the one doing the job (e.g. maximum characters per line, maximum of lines per subtitle, no overlapping within frames, specific syntax and format requirements that may vary based on the client, and so on), so you have to always keep in mind the time, size, number of characters, even the changes of frame, stay focused all the time to avoid any mistakes (otherwise your end product gets rejected and you have to revise it without extra payment), AND meet the tight deadlines. Reducing a sentence to its simplest form while still maintaining the same message can be quite challening, depending on source material, and if you're both translating and subtitling, then it's even harder. In addition, while some audio/video is clear and easy to understand, more than often you have to deal with unclear, noisy, barely audible source material, fast speech, mumbling, slang, unusual dialects, multiple speakers, extremely boring or niche topics with specific terminology, etc. As a general rule, it takes between 4 to 8 hours to create subtitles for 1 hour of source material (depending on numerous factors); sometimes more than that, especially if it needs to be translated, too. Now if you're paid well for it, then it's of course quite a decent way to earn money, and I did have a few good gigs, but in general, the agencies are being as cheap as possible and compromise the quality for their own profits.

4 minutes ago, Devil said:

The women who does the voice over for the insane women is that annoying it nearly made me turn off at one point. 

I watched an Asian film once where one of the actors had an American accent, Completely ruined it... Whoever made that choice needed to be sacked.. It was a film about Samurai as well so unless the actor in question was Tom Cruise it had no place in the movie.. as soon as they started speaking I was like WTF xD

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

It looks easier and cushier than it is... There are certain rules and restrictions that you always have to adhere to when subtitling that are extremely limiting to the one doing the job (e.g. maximum characters per line, maximum of lines per subtitle, no overlapping within frames, specific syntax and format requirements that may vary based on the client, and so on), so you have to always keep in mind the time, size, number of characters, even the changes of frame, stay focused all the time to avoid any mistakes (otherwise your end product gets rejected and you have to revise it without extra payment), AND meet the tight deadlines. Reducing a sentence to its simplest form while still maintaining the same message can be quite challening, depending on source material, and if you're both translating and subtitling, then it's even harder. In addition, while some audio/video is clear and easy to understand, more than often you have to deal with unclear, noisy, barely audible source material, fast speech, mumbling, slang, unusual dialects, multiple speakers, extremely boring or niche topics with specific terminology, etc. As a general rule, it takes between 4 to 8 hours to create subtitles for 1 hour of source material (depending on numerous factors); sometimes more than that, especially if it needs to be translated, too. Now if you're paid well for it, then it's of course quite a decent way to earn money, and I did have a few good gigs, but in general, the agencies are being as cheap as possible and compromise the quality for their own profits.

Well, when you put it like that.......... 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Well, when you put it like that.......... 

I think people often mistakenly think that any "office" job is easy and cushy, especially compared to manual labour. Sure, it's not the same kind of exhaustion, but some of the sedentary office or home jobs are so mentally draining, that I'd rather do manual work than that... xD 

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

In hindsight my 'cushy' comment seemed a tad optimistic based on all that... 

I suppose it must be difficult to keep pace with what's actually being said ( if like you say you can understand it in the first place ) then cutting that into something that people can understand from a subtitle point of view and all the time having to do it before each scene changes makes it a really difficult job... 

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

I think people often mistakenly think that any "office" job is easy and cushy, especially compared to manual labour. Sure, it's not the same kind of exhaustion, but some of the sedentary office or home jobs are so mentally draining, that I'd rather do manual work than that... xD 

I must confess that I am indeed one of those people because I come from a world of hard graft where you have to use both brain and brawn so hearing someone whine on about how hard it is to push a pen around all day and type a few e-mails out before wandering over to someone else's desk for the morning gossip does not impress me much... B|

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I must confess that I am indeed one of those people because I come from a world of hard graft where you have to use both brain and brawn so hearing someone whine on about how hard it is to push a pen around all day and type a few e-mails out before wandering over to someone else's desk for the morning gossip does not impress me much... B|

Yeah, that's not exactly the kind of "office" job that I had in mind... xD 

On 04/10/2021 at 18:39, Bluewolf said:

I know most of us have watched this already but found this article interesting where she talks about poor translation on this series..

I often get told by my Polish workmates that when they watch a Polish film that's dubbed into English or uses subtitles that it hardly ever reflects what's really being said... 

Apparently Netflix's English Subtitles on 'Squid Game' Make It an Entirely Different Show (msn.com)

To be honest I watched a lot of those examples of mistranslations and while they look poor, none of them strike me as the 'oh they make you totally misunderstand the situation/character' moments they're made out to be. Subtitles often suck even with big Hollywood productions but people are making this out to be some cultural injustice or something.

On a sidenote, I'm pretty sure that the moment where the annoying woman says 'what are you looking at?' (translated to English as 'go away') was correctly translated in Dutch, so I wonder if there are differences between the different subtitle languages.

To add to 'cushy', the times I translated/subtitled things for personal projects didn't make me feel any less tired than the time I worked in a factory. Even if you 100% understand the context and the meaning of something, you might still struggle to find the proper translation. It can be like doing a difficult exam that lasts for an entire day.

On 04/10/2021 at 20:16, Devil said:

The women who does the voice over for the insane women is that annoying it nearly made me turn off at one point. 

She is just as annoying in Korean, so the voice-over did a good job it sounds like. 😂

3 hours ago, Panflute said:

To be honest I watched a lot of those examples of mistranslations and while they look poor, none of them strike me as the 'oh they make you totally misunderstand the situation/character' moments they're made out to be. Subtitles often suck even with big Hollywood productions but people are making this out to be some cultural injustice or something.

On a sidenote, I'm pretty sure that the moment where the annoying woman says 'what are you looking at?' (translated to English as 'go away') was correctly translated in Dutch, so I wonder if there are differences between the different subtitle languages.

There are different subtitles for different languages on most things where you get international subtitles - so I wouldn't be surprised that there are differences. 

1 hour ago, ...Dan said:

There's nothing I hate more than an obvious "let's try to get a 2nd season out of this" ending instead of actually finishing the story. I enjoyed the show, but I'm very disappointed in the ending.

You think the ending was Netflix's doing? I heard the creator wrote the story back in 2008. Maybe he intended on having multiple seasons?

Archived