talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Squid Game (Netflix)

football forum

15 minutes ago, Cicero said:

You think the ending was Netflix's doing? I heard the creator wrote the story back in 2008. Maybe he intended on having multiple seasons?

Yeah, either Netflix's doing or the writer getting greedy and trying to milk it for all he can get. It didn't need a second season. I thought the same about Stranger Things. Eleven sacrificing herself to save her friends at the end of season 1 should've been the end. I guess I should stick to watching films instead of series xD

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Yeah, either Netflix's doing or the writer getting greedy and trying to milk it for all he can get. It didn't need a second season. I thought the same about Stranger Things. Eleven sacrificing herself to save her friends at the end of season 1 should've been the end. I guess I should stick to watching films instead of series xD

Shows that have a definite feeling ending after one series are quite satisfying.

I liked HBO's White Lotus for that reason. I hear they're doing another season - but they're hiring a whole different cast and it's going to have a separate story where the real connection between season 1 and season 2 is the White Lotus resort setting it takes place in.

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I liked HBO's White Lotus for that reason. I hear they're doing another season - but they're hiring a whole different cast and it's going to have a separate story where the real connection between season 1 and season 2 is the White Lotus resort setting it takes place in.

Is White Lotus worth a watch? 

Got to say I don't think I've ever known a TV series as spoken about as this one.

I've been away working this week in Scotland and I've returned to find my parents have binged watched it. Given they are well into their 60's I'd have never thought they'd be into it.

On 07/10/2021 at 19:42, Dr. Gonzo said:

There are different subtitles for different languages on most things where you get international subtitles - so I wouldn't be surprised that there are differences. 

Yeah, though the fact that the Dutch subtitles contain the word 'boomer' multiple times still really makes me question the quality. 😂

• Subscriber

Episode 2 was really good. Will watch episode 3 later on.

Regarding episode 2, am wondering to myself. Is the old guy he meets again outside of the games. Is it his dad? I'm likely to be wrong. Can't wait for episode 3.

Very good. Sometimes I think certain series that get hyped up across social media platforms can be disappointments, or I don't quite understand the buzz, but this was a solid 8.5/10 for me.

I enjoyed pretty much all of it, watching with subtitles (it doesn't bother me and can't be doing with out of sync talking) all up to the last episode which was the only real disappointment for me. Too much of an imbalance within the episode that made it drag on for me and a twist I found a little underwhelming in truth.

However, I loved the foreshadowing of the death's in the series, very clever.

Alirobbed his boss at work for the money he rightfully deserved and he was then robbed of his marbles he deservedly won from Sang Woo, which led to his death.

Deok-su, was set up to be killed by the gang members on the bridge but he legged it out the car and lept off said bridge to survive, only to die in the bridge game.

Sae-byeok threatened to slash one guy's throat with her little knife she always carried, only to die from having her throat slashed by Sang Woo.

And Sang Woo was close to taking his own life in the bath to avoid his debts only to commit suicide in the final game when in the pouring rain.

In addition, did anyone notice that in the big dorm/hall they stayed in during the games, that all the games they participated in were drawn on the walls in the background? I didn't clock this at all till someone else pointed it out to me but that was also genius. 

All very clever and well thought out

I saw the trailer and was left confused as to why everybody seems excited over baddies that look like they're trying to sell you PlayStations at a convention and voice overs that look terrible but I thought I would give it a try anyway.

It didnt start too well as about two minutes in you quickly establish that the main character is a penis you cannot relate too. To evoke any sort of character emotion this episode they had to have a guy beat up a woman yet the main character still somehow managed to come across as more irritating when he had a confrontion with him. Then it turns out once they revealed why they're all there everybody is as stupid as the main character. That said the actual game was fun, so I might just fast forward all the back story with these idiots and just watch them get obliterated.

If you want to binge on a good series that gets you invested in the characters and has good swerves that you do not see coming on Netflix then watch Clickbait.

21 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

If you want to binge on a good series that gets you invested in the characters and has good swerves that you do not see coming on Netflix then watch Clickbait.

Oh please.  😂

You can't post all that criticism on Squid Game only to direct the reader to bloody Clickbait. A show that notoriously has one of the most unearned plot twists in existence.

Having scenes of that bloke piping his mistress only to find out he never actual met her and she was texting an old lady instead? Fuck off show and your "reveal". 😂

By the way, any show that starts with characters telling each other their relation to each other (“Why thanks big brother”/“I know it’s your birthday, you’re my mum”) then 9 times out of 10 it's going to be absolute dross.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I saw the trailer and was left confused as to why everybody seems excited over baddies that look like they're trying to sell you PlayStations at a convention and voice overs that look terrible but I thought I would give it a try anyway.

It didnt start too well as about two minutes in you quickly establish that the main character is a penis you cannot relate too. To evoke any sort of character emotion this episode they had to have a guy beat up a woman yet the main character still somehow managed to come across as more irritating when he had a confrontion with him. Then it turns out once they revealed why they're all there everybody is as stupid as the main character. That said the actual game was fun, so I might just fast forward all the back story with these idiots and just watch them get obliterated.

Clickbait in next on my list after squids.

• Subscriber
On 03/10/2021 at 01:18, Machado said:

The VIP pricks made me skip a few seconds when they got screen time.

I still have one episode left to watch. I don't think this is a spoiler for those who haven't watched it yet but what I'm about to say might cross the line so.

I found the VIP scenes in the episode I just watched, when they first arrived, really badly jarring. The dialogue was like a dodgy caricature of a decadent Western/American bad guy billionaire stereotype.

Like you say, it really threatened my immersion in the human drama. I can't describe it any better than that. The way they spoke was so far away from how any real person would speak that I just couldn't take it seriously and wanted those scenes over with.

I'm guessing it was written by the Korean writers. It makes me wonder whether films written in Hollywood or Europe are as painfully bad at writing Asian or Russian or foreign dialogue in general in English films. I'd expect more of them probably have the budget to get people who understand the language and the culture well enough to create more natural and believable conversations. In fact, if they were doing it themselves, I'd expect the American/British writers to do an even worse job of it if anything. But yeah, this was not a good example of that and it made me wonder just how bad it is when the boot is one the other foot. xD

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It makes me wonder whether films written in Hollywood or Europe are as painfully bad at writing Asian or Russian or foreign dialogue in general in English films.

Russian dialogues and accents in Hollywood movies are usually comically bad; sometimes even completely incomprehensible.

Just stumbled across this, and apparently it's accurate. Everyone who watches this dubbed should be ashamed of themselves. Please find the wall that is closest to you and bash your head against it. 

On 11/10/2021 at 12:49, The Palace Fan said:

He gets more likable the more you get into the show.

Although I’m not done so maybe that changes

On 14/10/2021 at 00:21, Tommy said:

Just stumbled across this, and apparently it's accurate. Everyone who watches this dubbed should be ashamed of themselves. Please find the wall that is closest to you and bash your head against it. 

Thought this was a parody at first. 😅

11 hours ago, MUFC said:

Wonder if the cop survived.

I don't think so, purely because of the fact the Squid Games are clearly still running at the end of the season. To me that means the evidence never made it to South Korea's police force

Apparently kids have been playing the red light green light game and beating up the kids who get eliminated 😂 That seems like a game primary score kids would play. Not sure they should be watching it in the first place. I would be  a bit worried if they started doing it in America . Might actually shoot each other 

• Subscriber

Thought it was gripping in the middle but at one point it felt like every other K-Show I have watched over the years for the gore and violence that they exhibit in their cinema. It gave me very Battle Royale vibes at one point too, if you haven't watched that I'd also recommend giving it a go.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

As for the dubbing, it didn't really bother me but maybe that's just because I kind of expect this from dubs when it comes to Asian cinema. Some phrases and language semantics just don't port over to other languages so getting close to it is the best they can do really.

• Subscriber

Good show overall imo and worth watching but thats about it.

The middle few episodes is where it hit its stride imo.. the marble episode was probably the peak. I dont like the ending at all, it only makes sense in trying to force the character to survive and be front and center in a sequel.

Archived