talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Shakespeare To Be Made Permanent Leicester Boss

Leicester City will name caretaker Craig Shakespeare as their permanent manager, BBC Sport understands.

The 53-year-old was given the job on a temporary basis in February, following the sacking of Claudio Ranieri.

Shakespeare, who has only worked as caretaker or number two, was Ranieri's assistant after joining the club under former Foxes boss Nigel Pearson.

He won eight of his 16 games in charge last season, leading the club to the Champions League quarter-finals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40204320

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been seen many times that players have performed for a caretaker manager but as soon as that becomes permanent they take their foot off the peddle a bit.

He definitely needs the squad freshening up.

• Subscriber

Done better than most interim managers do. 6th in the table over his 13 games as well as knocking Sevilla out of the Champions League.

It could definitely go wrong but other than scenarios which have no real bearing on what's happened here I have no idea what it's based on other than guesswork.

Happy to see him get a chance as he knows exactly what makes us tick. He's one of the main architects of this side and has been involved in just about everything good we've done over the past ten years.

Time to back him up and get some signings in. No fucking around like last year.

Reminds me of Glenn Roeder, got us into the UEFA Cup via the league as interim boss but in a full season the flaws were on show. 

Like Roeder I don't think Shakespeare will be a disaster but I expect him to come up short of what Leicester want.

It'll be a different story in the Summer, he took over an unhappy side and had an upturn. As the season ended they didn't have the greatest run of form and got a proper spanking from Spurs.

Itll be an entirely new atmosphere next season and I'm not sure I've seen enough on the pitch and heard enough off of it to think he'll be successful. Be great to have a decent English manager knocking about but I can't see it.

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

xDxD

Gone by december and moyes will come in. Back to the championship next year xD

Up from the Championship and back down in 4 years and still won more titles than Man Utd and got further than they have in the Champions League in that period xD

1 minute ago, Danny said:

It'll be a different story in the Summer, he took over an unhappy side and had an upturn. As the season ended they didn't have the greatest run of form and got a proper spanking from Spurs.

Itll be an entirely new atmosphere next season and I'm not sure I've seen enough on the pitch and heard enough off of it to think he'll be successful. Be great to have a decent English manager knocking about but I can't see it.

Do think we were quite handicapped at the end of the season though. I know it sounds like I'm trying to absolve him of all blame (I'm not as for me he was too negative at Arsenal and Man City) but we hadn't prepared properly in the summer before at all. Look at the back four we named in those last three games. I can't put our lack of depth or ability to rotate effectively down to him. It's imperative we have a good summer this time. Last year was a joke and a repeat could absolutely screw us.

• Subscriber

Have to agree with the consensus here. He made it very difficult for Leicester not to give him the job with the run of form he put together with them but I can't see him delivering in the long run. Maybe we're all wrong though. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Toony said:

How much has he gone for?

Fuck knows. If we get half of what we paid I'd be happy.

In a summer of bad deals his was probably the worst.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Fuck knows. If we get half of what we paid I'd be happy.

In a summer of bad deals his was probably the worst.

Never know with the Turkish clubs, they could massively overpay too.

Archived