The better place to talk football.

F1 2021 - Turkish GP - 8-10th October

football forum

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Lewis angry but should he have come in earlier when instructed?

In hindsight, yes, probably. Same as Leclerc. Both seem to have made the wrong call. Although I wonder if Lewis would have managed to drive until the end and not lose his position.

• Subscriber

Lewis is right to be angry. They really missed the boat on that pit stop. I think he could have held that 3rd place without a pit stop.

Perfect race from Bottas. Probably his best win actually off the top of my head.

Red Bull will take that. Hamilton should have got a better finish than 5th after carving his way up there early on and having the fastest car this weekend. Perez did well today after another average qualifying performance, really nice battle with Hamilton and an eventual P3.

A shame Sainz didn't start in the top 6 or so because he had serious pace and could have been an interesting factor as well.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Lewis is right to be angry. They really missed the boat on that pit stop. I think he could have held that 3rd place without a pit stop.

Looking at Ocon's times, probably not. He lost 50s to Sainz in 13 laps, was about 6 seconds off the pace in his last two laps, and his right tyre looks like it was moments away from puncture. 

I think what ruined it for Lewis today was his and Merc's indecisiveness. Should have either went for that pit stop earlier, or  committed to staying out on track. 

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

But didn't he say not to pit?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

But didn't he say not to pit?

Yes but by the time they brought him in, he'd have been better off staying to the end. He wasn't losing significantly to the cars ahead or behind at that point.

Toto said if Lewis came in when told, he'd have gone through the graining phase and then had a much better chance of getting 3rd. He also said they've been quick recently because they understand the car more. If Lewis stayed out for the whole race, would anyone have caught him? I can't remember how far back they were. Ocon managed to do it, what condition were his tires in? 

59 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Ocon managed to do it, what condition were his tires in? 

Not great. 

97v4w52imms71.png

Also, Alonso apologizing to Mick:

oa5evyhrtms71.jpg

The look on his face. He looks like he just ran over an innocent animal. xD

On 11/10/2021 at 03:29, Tommy said:

Truth. 

Agreed. 

Just finished watching the race. Very boring and sure I'm happy for Bottas I guess, but that was uneventful except for Vettel driving like he's on ice. 

Not sure what happened to Lewis, but it does appear like his team screwed up again. 

• Subscriber
On 11/10/2021 at 08:29, Tommy said:

Truth. 

I was very surprised by this penalty as well. I love Alonso's aggression at the start of a race but it comes with a risk factor when you go steaming around the outside one too many times and I don't see what Gasly could have done differently here.

I like the fact that Michael Masi comes out and talks about decisions made by the stewards because it's the sort of transparency we complain about not having in football (at least in England). But at the same time, I don't think he's very good at addressing the media, and the reasons he comes out with to back up certain decisions often seem to be easily undermined by a pretty straightforward line of questioning or a recent example of a decision he claims is totally black and white actually going in completely the opposite direction in similar circumstances.

Apparently a number of drivers are planning to ask him at the next race why Norris avoided a clear penalty for crossing the pitlane entry line in the wrong place in Sochi, an act for which Hamilton received a penalty in Hockenheim two years ago for doing the same thing with a damaged car, and why Alonso got away with the yellow flag incident in qualifying this weekend despite that being a slam dunk penalty in several other instances. I do think the stewards could do with having a general tidy up when it comes to penalties and stuff heading into next year. I remember some of the ones they gave out at one of the Austrian races in the summer being pretty wacky too.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived