talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League games abroad

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was the crowd reaction to our goal on Saturday to go 1-0 up at home to West Ham.

Love or hate Leeds, just play and take that moment in a second. Listen to that noise, watch those limbs.

Now imagine trying to recreate that in China or Qatar. It's NEVER happening is it. It will kill the passion.

I wish these cunts who think they know what's best for the game would fuck off and stop messing with our love. It's going to ruin it for us all.

16 hours ago, Lucas said:

This was the crowd reaction to our goal on Saturday to go 1-0 up at home to West Ham.

Love or hate Leeds, just play and take that moment in a second. Listen to that noise, watch those limbs.

Now imagine trying to recreate that in China or Qatar. It's NEVER happening is it. It will kill the passion.

I wish these cunts who think they know what's best for the game would fuck off and stop messing with our love. It's going to ruin it for us all.

To be fair mate it's not your lot they want to play abroad. You'd just be making up the numbers. It's crap support like Man City and Arsenal that isn't worth preserving :ph34r:

I imagine the thinking here is "If we don't do it soon someone else will beat us to that market". Its not as if the Spanish Giants or Italian teams have anything to lose at this point.

As far as I'm concerned if a club wants to squander a home advantage and is prepared to make arrangements for both teams to play a game over the other side of the world then let them do it. It's quite clear to certain teams are more concerned about the notes over the trophy cabinet anyway.

I think Spain and Italy are already doing it to a limited degree with their cups, but those countries are still nowhere near England commercially. 

The English league has already established the principle that match attendance is small fry, whether it happens in England or it happens in the Middle East or Far East or America. So why do it? If you go to China or whatever and get 100,000 people at a game, what difference does that make in the grand scheme of things?

Ostensibly, I guess they would say it creates more buzz and interest, but the English game already has buzz and interest that dwarves every other league. I don't imagine that many people will go to a game abroad who weren't already interested in the league.

12 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I think Spain and Italy are already doing it to a limited degree with their cups, but those countries are still nowhere near England commercially. 

The English league has already established the principle that match attendance is small fry, whether it happens in England or it happens in the Middle East or Far East or America. So why do it? If you go to China or whatever and get 100,000 people at a game, what difference does that make in the grand scheme of things?

Ostensibly, I guess they would say it creates more buzz and interest, but the English game already has buzz and interest that dwarves every other league. I don't imagine that many people will go to a game abroad who weren't already interested in the league.

I think more people go to the game and it creates more hype for products to be sold. Financially seems like a good idea, but horrific for football fans

Given the farce that ensued when Brazil played Argentina last month, the fact we’re still amidst a global pandemic, the reaction of fans’ here when the ‘European Super League’ was announced, the initial reaction this got when “Game 39” was mooted a few years ago and the reaction when Barcelona and Girona (I think it was them) attempted this, I can’t see this going anywhere. 

Totally get why the boards of these clubs and Sky may want to do it, though. A weekend of football starting at say 8am Saturday of constant football over a couple of days would be both club owners and Sky’s idea of a wet dream. 

• Subscriber

So just to summarise, the clubs who literally tried to dismantle football as we knew it got off unpunished whilst this kind of nonsense floats back up again.

It's a disgrace of an idea. Should never be entertained under any circumstances. If the foreign fans want to support an English team then they're more than welcome to, but you have to come here if you want to watch the Premier League.

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Given the farce that ensued when Brazil played Argentina last month, the fact we’re still amidst a global pandemic, the reaction of fans’ here when the ‘European Super League’ was announced, the initial reaction this got when “Game 39” was mooted a few years ago and the reaction when Barcelona and Girona (I think it was them) attempted this, I can’t see this going anywhere. 

Totally get why the boards of these clubs and Sky may want to do it, though. A weekend of football starting at say 8am Saturday of constant football over a couple of days would be both club owners and Sky’s idea of a wet dream. 

It's genuinely not good though even from an entertainment point of view. I dunno if it was solely the covidball factor but four games one after another just became completely excessive in the end. Firmly believe that's something that should only happen once during a World Cup. It's too much.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

It's genuinely not good though even from an entertainment point of view. I dunno if it was solely the covidball factor but four games one after another just became completely excessive in the end. Firmly believe that's something that should only happen once during a World Cup. It's too much.

Just thinking of Sky’s nauseating marketing push, that’s all. They’d be all over a weekend of games abroad and would push it massively. 

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

Absolutely this. At first it was fucking brilliant, simply because I was starved of any football. However, the novelty wore off after a couple of weeks and the saturation was unbearable. There just wasn’t a special game anymore.

16 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

The whole thing is a bit like Joelinton. A lot of money involved , commonly used as a joke, occasional movement that makes you think it might be on but ultimately ends in a fluffed chance. 

I’d say it’s more like Fred. Utterly fucking shite.

NFL play games at Wembley. Not sure what American NFL fans make of that, but it's not really comparable. That's an American only sport, which is more legitimately trying to boost overseas interest & therefore income.

Even America has had the MLS for some time now. The Premier League trying to sell itself as comparable to the NFL will surely annoy however many more already sour Italians, Spanish, etc.

Pre-season tours, yes, I can see the attraction of that. Even the point of that perhaps.

But, no to messing up schedules & atmospheres to make a few more £'s here or there.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Absolutely this. At first it was fucking brilliant, simply because I was starved of any football. However, the novelty wore off after a couple of weeks and the saturation was unbearable. There just wasn’t a special game anymore.

For what it's worth I accept it was a very unique scenario and I don't think it was the wrong decision, but having actually witnessed it, it's too much. There can be too much football on and I think there's an argument that there already is - and I say this as somebody who watches bloody loads.

7 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

NFL play games at Wembley. Not sure what American NFL fans make of that, but it's not really comparable. That's an American only sport, which is more legitimately trying to boost overseas interest & therefore income.

Even America has had the MLS for some time now. The Premier League trying to sell itself as comparable to the NFL will surely annoy however many more already sour Italians, Spanish, etc.

Pre-season tours, yes, I can see the attraction of that. Even the point of that perhaps.

But, no to messing up schedules & atmospheres to make a few more £'s here or there.

I'm not saying you're saying this (in-fact you're kind of agreeing) but I've found this American attitude of "we have our sport in England so you should have yours in USA" and I just couldn't disagree more. The reality is football and American sport are so conceptually different. American sport has never really done it for me but by all means, if you like it then get involved, but I get fed up of this idea of trying to make X sport more like Y sport. Each sport is unique, refining them to be alike is a big no no for me. If I wanted NFL influence I'd just literally watch NFL.

I don't think everyone here understands. Some of you do, some wont.

Capitalism ruins everything.
In the past few years alone we've had...

The wealthiest clubs try to form a break away league
A change in Champions League selection and structure
Extended euros (more games more cash)
Plans to extend the world cup
An influx of wealthy owners, who then, along with established big guns, passed rules to shut the door behind them.

This will continue, the sport will continue to be seen as a commodity to be sold, and will be ruined further and further until the system breaks. Then the cycle starts anew. 

My main issue here is that it damages the credibility of the competition. It's supposed to be teams playing each other, home and away. Random neutral ground matches don't to fit in when it comes to the league. Do the semi-finals of the league cup abroad if needs be.

• Subscriber
On 29/09/2021 at 19:01, Smiley Culture said:

As someone who’s been to the London NFL games, can I decry this as some sort of evil when I’ve been a part of a similar thing, taking the game(s) away from “legacy fans”? 

How I feel. 

I don’t feel anywhere near as strongly against this as I used to honestly 

Archived