The better place to talk football.

FC Cincinnati sacks Jaap Stam

football forum

• The title was changed to FC Cincinnati sacks Jaap Stam
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Here's the thing.  Yes, Stam was a wreck and should never have been appointed in the first place.  He's never achieved anything anywhere and was just a publicity hire.  But the coach isn't the whole problem.  The FO is a fucking joke and they thought they could just throw money at the team and we'd start winning.  I think Cincy is in the top 5 in payroll/transfer expenditure in the league.  Carl Linder and Meg Linehan (?) are billionaires and they'll spend money.  But there is no one up there that knows anything about being successful at soccer and that starts with the President Jeff Berding.  He appointed himself GM in the inaugural MLS season, then stepped down when he fucked it all up and ever since it's been Dutch re-treads in the FO and no plan on the pitch.

I'll give Berding credit in that he built this team from the USL from nothing, but he needs to step aside now.  They need a rebuild from the top down.  Until they hire a real GM with real MLS experience (who knows all the stupid MLS nuances like salary cap rules, etc.), who then hires a real coach with real MLS experience, the product on the pitch will continue to be a failure.

15 minutes ago, Coma said:

Here's the thing.  Yes, Stam was a wreck and should never have been appointed in the first place.  He's never achieved anything anywhere and was just a publicity hire.  But the coach isn't the whole problem.  The FO is a fucking joke and they thought they could just throw money at the team and we'd start winning.  I think Cincy is in the top 5 in payroll/transfer expenditure in the league.  Carl Linder and Meg Linehan (?) are billionaires and they'll spend money.  But there is no one up there that knows anything about being successful at soccer and that starts with the President Jeff Berding.  He appointed himself GM in the inaugural MLS season, then stepped down when he fucked it all up and ever since it's been Dutch re-treads in the FO and no plan on the pitch.

I'll give Berding credit in that he built this team from the USL from nothing, but he needs to step aside now.  They need a rebuild from the top down.  Until they hire a real GM with real MLS experience (who knows all the stupid MLS nuances like salary cap rules, etc.), who then hires a real coach with real MLS experience, the product on the pitch will continue to be a failure.

Just to add, this organization has wasted the first 3 years of it's MLS existence.  The USL years were awesome and they've carried large, loyal fanbase into MLS and they've wrecked it.  Correct me if I'm wrong but they have a top-5 attendance in the league, maybe higher.  Now you've got 15k-18k season ticket holders (like me) who are jumping ship after 3 years of absolute fucking garbage management.

20 minutes ago, Spike said:

This is Bengals season, perfect time to sack someone because the only people to care in Cinicinnati will be the Stam family and @Coma. Too busy salivating about Joe Burrow and Joe Mixon to even realise there is a sokka team

You forget that in Cincinnati there is no reprieve from losing, regardless of the sport.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah Bengals lost to the bears of all teams. Embarrassing.

Last playoff win in football was 1991, something like 0-12 since then.  Baseball team has been shite for 10 years or more.  Throw in a soccer team that sucks... it fits right in. 

I agree that it's gridiron season and a large portion of the city won't care... just saying that a 2-1 start for the Bengals don't mean shit in the scheme of things.  Pretty sure they started 4-2 in Andy Dalton's last season here, only to lose the next 10 games in a row.  A return to normalcy is inevitable.  

3 minutes ago, Coma said:

Last playoff win in football was 1991, something like 0-12 since then.  Baseball team has been shite for 10 years or more.  Throw in a soccer team that sucks... it fits right in. 

I agree that it's gridiron season and a large portion of the city won't care... just saying that a 2-1 start for the Bengals don't mean shit in the scheme of things.  Pretty sure they started 4-2 in Andy Dalton's last season here, only to lose the next 10 games in a row.  A return to normalcy is inevitable.  

Nah they'll crush the Jags on thursday night. Jags are just like the Bengals but on crack, and they are throwing a high profile #1 pick into the inferno in a situation and media scope he doesn't know how to handle yet, just like the Bears. I hate how teams throw rookie QBs into the fire to die, just let them be a back up for a season or two. For instance, you're old boy Andy Dalton looked 10 times better than Fields.

Baseball is a fucking joke anyway so no loss there. Now that I think about it, Ohio has a damn lot of professional teams don't they?

• 3 months later...

Archived