talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Generic Watford Sack Another Manager Thread

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

How long till he gets sacked then? Will he get to the end of the season?

I'm going to go January, they will want to give a new manager the transfer window to try and save them.

They will end the season on their third manager.

I dunno why any managers would agree to work for Watford.

Nobody really knows what the expectation is for their managers, the only thing I really expect is that they’ll sack every manager they hire.

17 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

How long till he gets sacked then? Will he get to the end of the season?

I think he’ll get a transfer window to make some changes, but however long he lasts after that… is anyone’s guess.

I think if their results stay as they have been, he won’t finish the season. If he keeps them up, he’ll probably get a few months into nexts season.

• Subscriber

I've tried to understand their approach and I don't think it's as disgraceful as most think - I think it's quite well established at this point that if you go there there's a good chance you're out the door in the next year. I don't think any manager is daft enough to go there expecting anything long term.

Ranieri seems an odd one to me though. I mean me of all people shouldn't be saying that but he's been pretty hopeless since May 2016.

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Generic Watford Sack Another Manager Thread

They get a lot of stick for their approach but I think it’s reductive to lump what’s happened this season in with their previous successes using it. I’ve had this discussion before on here but the last 7 years for Watford have been the best they’ve had in over 3 decades, that’s including 5 years in the Prem, 2 promotions from the Championship and an FA Cup final.

How can you blame them being shit on their approach to head coach appointments when the same approach has helped brought their most successful period as a club in 30+ years? It doesn’t make sense.

That’s not to say that they haven’t made dodgy appointments of late or that some decisions over the last 2-3 years haven’t set them up to stay in the Prem. But for Watford even being a yo-yo team is a success, it’s not the massive failure it’s made out to be. But there are definitely criticisms to be made of their inability to retain Premier League status that they were able to do for 4 seasons in a row. Those 4 seasons they had 4 separate head coaches, so clearly the criticism of them constantly appointing new coaches alone doesn’t make sense.

Would actually be interesting to see what a Watford fan/journo who’s paid attention to the running of the club thinks of the issue, for me it seems to revolve more around the decline of Troy Deeney and his eventual move away.

I'd want the Watford job. 

Step 1, get hired, 2 year, multi million pound contract

Step 2. Become sacked 3 weeks later because the rabble of useless players control the dressing room, like a less talented 2010s era Chelski

Step 3. Get paid out, fuck, go get a different gig and you're basically on a double wage! I'm surprised Pardew hasn't gone in for them 

On 22/01/2022 at 15:12, Danny said:

They get a lot of stick for their approach but I think it’s reductive to lump what’s happened this season in with their previous successes using it. I’ve had this discussion before on here but the last 7 years for Watford have been the best they’ve had in over 3 decades, that’s including 5 years in the Prem, 2 promotions from the Championship and an FA Cup final.

How can you blame them being shit on their approach to head coach appointments when the same approach has helped brought their most successful period as a club in 30+ years? It doesn’t make sense.

That’s not to say that they haven’t made dodgy appointments of late or that some decisions over the last 2-3 years haven’t set them up to stay in the Prem. But for Watford even being a yo-yo team is a success, it’s not the massive failure it’s made out to be. But there are definitely criticisms to be made of their inability to retain Premier League status that they were able to do for 4 seasons in a row. Those 4 seasons they had 4 separate head coaches, so clearly the criticism of them constantly appointing new coaches alone doesn’t make sense.

Would actually be interesting to see what a Watford fan/journo who’s paid attention to the running of the club thinks of the issue, for me it seems to revolve more around the decline of Troy Deeney and his eventual move away.

From memory the approach came after they pointed to research that suggested a coaching regime would have its most successful period within the first nine months. Its not an approach I'd want my club to take but if its bought them relative success as you've pointed out let them crack on with it.

4 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

From memory the approach came after they pointed to research that suggested a coaching regime would have its most successful period within the first nine months. Its not an approach I'd want my club to take but if its bought them relative success as you've pointed out let them crack on with it.

I feel like, and I could be wrong, there must have been some changes at DoF and above for it to start going down hill. That and the lack of a leader like Deeney

Just now, Danny said:

I feel like, and I could be wrong, there must have been some changes at DoF and above for it to start going down hill. That and the lack of a leader like Deeney

I remember they went through a phase where the ex-Brentford bloke Andy Scott was there and people were praising the signings. He left just before the FA Cup final.

Archived