talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Benevento securing demotion to Serie ‘B'

1496958394096.jpg

Benevento earns promotion to Serie 'A'

The small club from the Campania region near Naples has earned promotion for the first time in their 88 year history.  It's a genuine football fairytale and has similarities with what's occurred in Spain's La Liga 1|2|3 (Second Division)  with Girona who have also been promoted to La Liga for the first time in their 87 year history.

Benevento beat Carpi by 1-0 with a goal from George Puscas (aside from the spelling he has a very famous name) in the 32nd minute of the first half.  Benevento had finished 5th in Serie 'B' but have managed to overcome the play-offs and will now live their dream of playing in one of Europe's elite league divisions.

Benevento has 60,000 inhabitants and is only 90 kilometres away from the city of Naples.

Personally I'm ecstatic with this as my wife has family there and I've been there various times and I can say that they're some of the most hospitable people you will ever meet.  Congratulations Benavento!!!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Eco said:

Love having new teams, and Carpi was up not too long ago. With them and SPAL, it'll be quite a fairy tale for some of the teams moving up.

It's great for Italian football and the league because it adds that added element of uncertainty and it also means the league is healthier.  Small sides with fervent local support are what makes football fascinating.

12 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Brilliant news, this is Crotone 2.0 and hopefully they can do the same as them and stay up against the odds next year.

I've always liked them for that crazy badge anyway so I'm made up to see them in the top flight.

This is even crazier than Crotone because the area where Benevento are situated in literally has no resources and is hindered massively by governmental lethargy. People have to understand the make-up of Italy and its social make-up because this is a massive event with Benevento being promoted.  It's similar to when Eibar made it up in Spain.

29 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

This is even crazier than Crotone because the area where Benavento are situated in literally has no resources and is hindered massively by governmental lethargy. People have to understand the make-up of Italy and its social make-up because this is a massive event with Benavento being promoted.  It's similar to when Eibar made it up in Spain.

It is. Similar to when Castell Di Sangro made it all the way up to Serie B after 4 or 5 consecutive promotions.

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Marco Baroni getting the sack would put a black mark on what has been a fairy-tale for Benevento. To even be playing games in Serie A is a miracle so it seems totally bizarre that they are sharpening the knives and looking for blood. Unless someone miraculous is lined up (such as when Southampton sacked Adkins after back-to-back promotions for Pochettino) then I can't understand the logic behind this.

I agree mate.

It would be ridiculous and although I get their thought process which is the same everywhere, it's still absolutely mental!

There is considerably a lot more money coming in from next season via TV money and I get the mindset as I said before...  Survival this one sensitive season could mean consecrating themselves as a mainstay in Serie 'A' or at least knowing that they have the funds available to be more competitive in real terms and not rely on the epic fairytale story once again.  But logic should come into play here...  They're an extremely small football club, very small indeed and they have no history whatsoever of this kind of feat that they've experienced.  What that coach did with a few loanees and damned good tactics should give him the right to see this season as a Series 'A' coach.  Just as the club have earned the right to be playing in Italy's top division, he has had a lot to do with it and has earned that right too.  But football is now very cynical because look at what happened to Claudio Ranieri.

• 3 months later...

Very sad to see this happen... This was a true fairytale but it was practically impossible. The title change on the thread months on is so sad. This is where football loses some of its mystique because sides like Benevento can’t compete. 

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Very sad to see this happen... This was a true fairytale but it was practically impossible. The title change on the thread months on is so sad. This is where football loses some of its mystique because sides like Benevento can’t compete. 

Maybe sad - But absolutely expected.

A team that was re-founded just 12 years ago in a city that isn't in the top 100 in terms of population.

Getting to Serie A was the goal, no one expected it to last.

11 minutes ago, Eco said:

Maybe sad - But absolutely expected.

A team that was re-founded just 12 years ago in a city that isn't in the top 100 in terms of population.

Getting to Serie A was the goal, no one expected it to last.

The refounded part doesn’t mean anything mate because football is about the fans and a club in the province has been there for as long as can be remembered. The club culture is there... But yes, indeed it was expected but that doesn’t take away from how sad something like this is in football because of how it’s occurred. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

The refounded part doesn’t mean anything mate because football is about the fans and a club in the province has been there for as long as can be remembered. The club culture is there... But yes, indeed it was expected but that doesn’t take away from how sad something like this is in football because of how it’s occurred. 

I think how quickly they rose is an indication of their administration making good business decisions, and providing their fans with a successful club. But now that team that is essentially 12 years old, is going up against teams that have been around for over a century. 

I think this year is great for them to get this experience of playing the big boys, and anyone who imagine their results going differently are a bit delusional. 

You can still lose and provide a great atmosphere. I saw Derby do it in the EPL for an entire season and it was a site to behold even though they were getting slaughtered almost every match day.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the fairy tale got a small glimpse of hope by winning consecutive games and bringing their point total to 7. They are still a ways off securing anything, but I guess on a positive note their wins against Chievo and Sampdoria were both at home in front of their fans.

Archived