talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

18 Team Premier League

• Subscriber

Jamie O'Hara has suggested on TalkSport that the Premier League should be dropped to 18 teams to prevent 'irrelevant matches' and to 'get rid of the dross'...

Just another example of TalkSport pundits saying things to provoke a social reaction or is Jamie O'Hara just that stupid?

Thoughts?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Jamie O'Hara fits the typical persona for a TalkSport presenter.

Ironic he talks about getting rid of the dross when he hardly set the footballing world alight. It's actually quite insulting to any club that is there by their right for at least that season they have made it into it. 

It's not irrelevant games killing the PL - it's the rich clubs getting richer with seemingly no shits given for the rest of the league. Maybe he takes a closer look at one of his former clubs (again, where probably no-one even remembers him) and their impact on the PL.

He clearly does do it for a reaction and he'll get many. I just think his opinion isn't as valuable or worthwhile as he thinks it is.

A combination of both.

Him and Agbonlahor are the perfect employees for Talksport as they have no issues with looking stupid for a wage.

It's sad when you think of all the impressive content available that such a click bait model works.

The irony that a player whose two biggest contributions to the Premier League were playing for two teams that both finished bottom comfortably shouldn't be lost on anybody.

He was never good enough to play for a big club (he pulled up no trees with us) and winded up playing for what he'd consider "dross" so I wouldn't take his opinion on this seriously.

Newcastle and Burnley haven't won a game either but he's picking on Norwich, I wonder why? Oh yes, Farke isn't Brucey or Dychey who gets 'em organized, they don't like it up 'em do they?

Norwich won the league and finished way above Brentford last season, who are taking the league by storm. Who adapts, how they adapt and what happens when it goes wrong are one of the interesting things to see with teams that come up. 

Morons like O'Hara want a little mini-league at the top where their precious top 4 smash everybody, a mini league of teams who know their place between 5th and 9th who are in crisis if they aren't smashing those beneath and taking their punishment like good boys from the really big boys and then have the temerity to call other teams and "an embarrassment". Pathetic.

The irony of Jamie O'Hara coming out with it when he made a career out of being shit at dross level clubs. 

Had the league dropped to 18 clubs 15-20 years ago he would have been flipping burgers for the majority of the 00's and 10's.

Honestly, with shit like the Nations League, bad scheduling for internationals fucking with club football scheduling, and the possibility of a World Cup every 4 weeks... it might be necessary to make the league smaller sooner rather than later.

7 hours ago, Stan said:

It's not irrelevant games killing the PL - it's the rich clubs getting richer with seemingly no shits given for the rest of the league. Maybe he takes a closer look at one of his former clubs (again, where probably no-one even remembers him) and their impact on the PL.

Tbf everyone in the league is getting richer, isn't that why the Super League clubs wanted to fuck off and start their own club? Literally nothing about the premier league now is killing off the league - it might be damaging to grassroots football and encouraging reckless financial decisions that lead to clubs going into financial oblivion below the league... 

I see no reason to make the league smaller other than maybe issues of whether or not players are playing too many matches a season and whether or not that impacts the number of players that get serious injuries. But I've not looked at the numbers and seen whether there's any sort of quantifiable statistic that even proves that that is currently happening.

Making it smaller to "get rid of the dross" is a laughable suggestion though. Yeah sure, nobody really likes Watford or Norwich and they're likely to Yo-Yo back down... but that'd probably still keep happen even if we reduced the league down to 12 sides xD

I think it's a stupid suggestion from a stupid man that works for a stupid media company that's targeting stupid football fans. So I wouldn't put too much thought into what this dumb cunt has to say.

The sooner nobody pays any attention to TalkSport the sooner it'll either start looking to improve itself or get replaced by something that's less idiotic.

2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Silly comments... 

It's one thing to try and reduce the league to keep the amount of matches played in a season slightly less but it's just plain insulting to claim some games are pointless or the opposition is dross... 

I agree. There have always been weaker teams in the league. The gap is maybe  bigger  now but doing that will make it even bigger. And it's very insulting to the footballers who play for those teams. It's still almost impossible to play for teams like that. If anything it will probably make the league less interesting as it will be harder to stay up and teams will be more defensive 

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I agree. There have always been weaker teams in the league. The gap is maybe  bigger  now but doing that will make it even bigger. And it's very insulting to the footballers who play for those teams. It's still almost impossible to play for teams like that. If anything it will probably make the league less interesting as it will be harder to stay up and teams will be more defensive 

Thing is even if you lost a couple of extra teams there would still be someone at the bottom every season so do we keep dropping the amount of games ( or teams ) in the league until there are only say ten left and satisfied we have weeded out all the 'dross'

Even if the remaining ten teams had multi billionaire owners 2 of those sides would finish below the other 8 or are we saying that any team with a rich owner is not classed as dross?? He is clearly looking for a reaction... someone who engages mouth before brain 

14 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

I struggle to see why any match going fan would want fewer opponents. Fewer away days. Fewer trips around the country. Fewer interactions with others from around the country.

A reduced Premier League exists for the arm chair fan.

Even for arm chair fans... I think it would still be more shit than 20 matches.

There is circular insanity to these type opinions. A good example is Brazilian striker Wesley who was signed by Villa on their return to the Premier League. From Champions League Bruges. He was badly injured in a messy tackle vs Burnley. (as was Tom Heaton in the same match) He's fit again now, but Samatta has been & gone, Watkins arrived & now Ings. So Wesley was seen as surplus to requirements at Villa this season. He's back at Bruges on loan.. in the Champions League.

And I can't help but feel a certain part of people who really buy into these reducing home & expanding Global/Europe ideas are those who just look around & don't much fancy being the next Villa, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest, Sunderland, Portsmouth, etc, etc. Or dare I say any such side having the temerity to crash the complacent party.

Archived