talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Windows 11

football forum

Apparently it came out yesterday.

Have any of you tried it? Is it any decent?

I'm getting a notification on this computer that it is eligible for the upgrade to Windows 11 - I'm also not seeing anywhere to download that upgrade xD I'll probably test it on my work computer before I decide to upgrade my home PC - but I'll probably switch sooner rather than later.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Didn't they said any new version won't be coming for a while? Hope this one doesn't have constant updates.

Currently have windows 10. I turn automatic updates off. I then search, download and install them every 4 weeks. It usually only takes around 15 minutes. 

4 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Didn't they said any new version won't be coming for a while? Hope this one doesn't have constant updates.

Currently have windows 10. I turn automatic updates off. I then search, download and install them every 4 weeks. It usually only takes around 15 minutes. 

5 hours ago, MUFC said:

I have automatic updates on but I have my computer update and restart during my "non-peak" hours - which for my home PC is basically while I'm at work.

• Subscriber

Ive been using it a while on one of my computers and have to say I can't really see much of an actual functional difference between it and Window 10 just yet. Sure, the UI is different but its still buggy with things like search and the file-handlers. Infact, it sometimes totally hoses my Steam App when it starts up as well. Daily driver Operating System? Not just yet imo. I also dont know about anyone else but I can't remember the last time I used a news widget to read the news as part of the operating system and for the life of me I can't see why OS manufacturers persist with it. 

I am going to try the native Android App thing shortly so maybe thats a good thing to test out when you get it.

P.S. I wouldn't force the update if its a machine you use as a daily driver. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I tried the native Android App container and its actually really good. Granted it won't replace your phone anytime soon but I think M$ might be onto something good for their users here. More cross-functional apps on the platform is definitely going to boost its usage with the everyday user. 

I think its almost ready for game-time and come Xmas I'd definitely recommend the swap out from Windows 10 unless you're running something truly exotic like Kerebros local security policies, etc. and even then I'd recommend the move as its a bit snappier and the File System seems to be a bit more responsive as opposed to when it first came out. 

• Subscriber

One of my biggest pet peeves about this new Windows is the context menu on right-clicking. Let's say you have something like Sublime text or 7-zip as your option in W10 and you're used to just right clicking and getting what you need in the context menu. Well... with W11 you have to find it under "Show more options". If they can sort this out I'd be happy but for now its how it is.

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

It literally grows on you haha.

I really hate the right-click "show more options" for all the options that were normally there.

I also am not the biggest fan of having icons for cut/copy/paste rather than just the words, tbh. Aside from it being different from literally every OS I've ever used... I'm not sure it's great replacing simple words like "copy" with icons in terms of the impact that makes on the world xD

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I really hate the right-click "show more options" for all the options that were normally there.

I also am not the biggest fan of having icons for cut/copy/paste rather than just the words, tbh. Aside from it being different from literally every OS I've ever used... I'm not sure it's great replacing simple words like "copy" with icons in terms of the impact that makes on the world xD

This is all a subtle push for this ubiquitous experience between Windows for a machine vs Windows for a Surface-based machine. Once ARM comes into picture in a few years this will all start to make sense with more capable devices that can do things similar to an iPad but work like a desktop/traditional laptop. I can't see the relevance now but I suppose if you start feeding your users this kind of garbage UX now they'll start to come around sooner rather than later.  

On 04/12/2021 at 10:55, Mel81x said:

This is all a subtle push for this ubiquitous experience between Windows for a machine vs Windows for a Surface-based machine. Once ARM comes into picture in a few years this will all start to make sense with more capable devices that can do things similar to an iPad but work like a desktop/traditional laptop. I can't see the relevance now but I suppose if you start feeding your users this kind of garbage UX now they'll start to come around sooner rather than later.  

That's a bit shit tbh, I don't really care for those iPad/Windows Surface devices - my work got me one of those smaller Surfaces for business trips and I hate the fucking thing and never use it and just bring my laptop whenever I need to travel. The thing just sits in a drawer in my desk at the office and doesn't get used by anyone.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's a bit shit tbh, I don't really care for those iPad/Windows Surface devices - my work got me one of those smaller Surfaces for business trips and I hate the fucking thing and never use it and just bring my laptop whenever I need to travel. The thing just sits in a drawer in my desk at the office and doesn't get used by anyone.

I want to like this whole move everyone is making towards unified Operating Systems but to me I'd rather just have the functionality work the way the intended device was meant to be used. E.g. I have an iPad and I love using tools like Photoshop on it for color correction but my god is it impossible to imagine having the same interface on a Mac or a Windows machine. I'd be dying for more complex controls.

Archived