The better place to talk football.

2021 Nations League Final - Spain vs France

football forum

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Pogba just comes alive with France. Has little to do with having better players around him compared to United. Just looks incredibly more interested. 

He does seem to shine for them. He's actually entertaining to watch.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dan said:

That decision is absolutely scandalous. Premier League officials though so what do you expect.

It was actually Attwell and Kavanagh on VAR xDxDxD 

They're genuinely so incompetent.

13 minutes ago, Dan said:

That decision is absolutely scandalous. Premier League officials though so what do you expect.

Is it because the defender made contact on the ball as it made its way to mbappe?  I still have not grasped that aspect of the offside rule 

51 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

Is it because the defender made contact on the ball as it made its way to mbappe?  I still have not grasped that aspect of the offside rule 

Sometimes it's relevant. Sometimes it's not. Depends on if it absolves the referee of blame.

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Stan said:

It was actually Attwell and Kavanagh on VAR xDxDxD 

They're genuinely so incompetent.

Two of the very worst for me.

45 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

That was the reason but to me it's still utterly ridiculous. Why did Garcia do that? Because an offside Mbappe forced it.

It's just nonsensical rules drawn up by people with no clue about the game.

Apparently the goal was onside. I have seen it briefly. The ball was going to get to mbappe so had he left it it would have been offside. I can understand why some wouldn't like it because Garcia's touch doesnt affect the way the ball was going to go but those are the rules. Personally I think if you just say if it comes of a defender even if it doesn't affect the projectory of the ball it keeps it simple. If it is down to interpretation it gets more complicated and causes more disagreement so for me keep it simple 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Agreed. Mbappe was onsides. 

The law specifically states if the defender 'attempts to play the ball', it disregards the position of the attacker. Had the ball been deflected off of Garcia, it would've been offsides. 

What do you think of the rule? Like I said for me it stops confusion because if that is the rule there isnt interpretation of did the defender change the projectory of the ball 

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What do you think of the rule? Like I said for me it stops confusion because if that is the rule there isnt interpretation of did the defender change the projectory of the ball 

It's harsh but if they are going to be consistent after VAR review then I'm all for the rule as this rule has been in place for ages.

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

It's harsh but if they are going to be consistent after VAR review then I'm all for the rule as this rule has been in place for ages.

I'm quite black and white with things like this. For me if your offside by one millimeter your offside if you touch the ball you touch it. Fans would disagree if you put in an interpretation if you keep it black and white it's simple. 

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm quite black and white with things like this. For me if your offside by one millimeter your offside if you touch the ball you touch it. Fans would disagree if you put in an interpretation if you keep it black and white it's simple. 

Garcia attempted to block the ball. That is attempting to play the ball, and per the law of the game that means it disregards Mbappe's position. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Garcia attempted to block the ball. That is attempting to play the ball, and per the law of the game that means it disregards Mbappe's position. 

Yeah I know. I thought the controversy was whether or not Garcia's touch changes the direction of the ball?  As in if the pass would have got to mbappe if Garcia hadn't touched it. I thought people were saying that the ball would have got to mbappe even if Garcia hadn't touched it and so it should be offside. Where as if the pass was going wide or something and Garcia touched it and changes the direction and it goes to mbappe it should be onside? 

@Cicero get it now got a bit muddled up. I still think it may be better to keep the rule as it is or say if your offside your offside even if it comes of a defender from the attacking team. Just because it keeps it simple. I mean how would we determine when the defender getting the last touch makes it offside and when it doesnt? One thing that annoys is when people like jamie Redknapp are saying its the wrong decision because they dont like it. Just because you dont like it doesn't mean it's the wrong decision 

Archived