talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle 2.0

football forum

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man-city cleaned up their act but when they first came onto the scene they made some pretty sus moves, Robinho etc or just going for whichever higher level player was available to elevate their status. I think these clubs all have to do that in the beginning just to raise the clubs profile as a serious contender. 

Doubt we can afford players over £40m or whether it would be wise to sign anyone over that at this stage. Within FFP we can allegedly spend about £150m. 

Still expect this to be slow. Looking to Europa League next year or year after.

No one at the top will join that. Its those on their way down. 

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Machado said:

They should get Chiesa. He's still a Fiorentina player. Big name player, actually a good footballer and seems to be a fan favourite all over the world.

He stays at Juventus for sure.

4 hours ago, The Premier Steve's said:

No one at the top will join that. Its those on their way down. 

You might be able to sign those types of players if silly wages were being offered.... In the long term it's a totally bad idea but in the short term it could attract a few bigger names.. Not so bad if you had a few big name players coming to the end of their years and only had them on very short term contracts..

If they were serious and not willing to throw silly money at everything and build something worthwhile then slowly slowly is the name of the game, but I should imagine you would get a few windows where cash is no object while they play catch up with the rest of the league and try and dig themselves out of the relegation zone... Just out of curiosity would you prefer to stay in the league with money being thrown at it or would you prefer a drop down and re-build without??? 

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

You might be able to sign those types of players if silly wages were being offered.... In the long term it's a totally bad idea but in the short term it could attract a few bigger names.. Not so bad if you had a few big name players coming to the end of their years and only had them on very short term contracts..

If they were serious and not willing to throw silly money at everything and build something worthwhile then slowly slowly is the name of the game, but I should imagine you would get a few windows where cash is no object while they play catch up with the rest of the league and try and dig themselves out of the relegation zone... Just out of curiosity would you prefer to stay in the league with money being thrown at it or would you prefer a drop down and re-build without??? 

Better to stay up than go down. Going down sets you back years and you lose your better players.

Saint-Maximin in the Championship would be as daft as Messi in Ligue 1 :ph34r:

Aren't Newcastle just going to do what Chelsea and Man City did, and basically sweep up all the good players from the lower half of the Premiership?

So little wonder James Tarkowski has been linked, but surely likely to see people like Zaha, Ward Prowse and Sam Johnstone linked as well.

Can't go full Chelsea 2003 with the limits in place, but fully raising the standard and at least be good enough to be a squad player in 2 to 3 years.

16 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Probably made up

Conor Gallagher has been linked. When I say linked somebody suggested it on Twitter and a load of third-rate journalists have began reporting it as speculation.

He is of the demographic of player Newcastle would realistically target but I can't anticipate spending 35m+ on a player who essentially will nullify Willock's attacking play being a priority.

If we were to play a game where we were allowed one serious choice over the next 12 months I'd go for Max Aarons. Fills the English quota, he can grow with the club, its in a position they need to strengthen, Norwich are likely to go down and Norwich also don't tend to haggle for unreasonable fees. 

It was a toss up between him and Noni Madeuke as I anticipate he will be moving on next summer and Newcastle would want to upgrade wide players. A young English player at a reasonable price seems to fit the bill.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

If we were to play a game where we were allowed one serious choice over the next 12 months I'd go for Max Aarons. Fills the English quota, he can grow with the club, its in a position they need to strengthen, Norwich are likely to go down and Norwich also don't tend to haggle for unreasonable fees. 

It was a toss up between him and Noni Madeuke as I anticipate he will be moving on next summer and Newcastle would want to upgrade wide players. A young English player at a reasonable price seems to fit the bill.

Madueke will probably cost a whole lot more next summer as he signed a new contract a few months ago. I was hoping we'd get him - would have fit the bill perfectly. 

• Subscriber

Seen something saying they wanted Ralf Rangnick as sporting director. Think getting him, or Luis Campos in in that position would be an excellent move and exactly what they need.

Brendan Rodgers has become favourite for the job as well. Not the shortest of odds (3/1) but favourite nontheless.

• Subscriber

I always liked "move them upstairs". Also known as "we know they need to be sacked but we haven't got the balls to do it properly".

Anyway, Rodgers is even shorter favourite now. Makes you wonder if this has legs. I did see a Twitter account that's reportedly called a few things right say that he would be interested in the job.

I actually can kind of see it. Think a lot of people are in denial about how appealing this job has become all of a sudden. The next manager could easily be a fall guy but those kinds of resources are enough to transform them into an elite level team. I also feel like he's achieved everything here that he's likely to - top four is gone this year already, he's won a trophy and it's pretty obvious we won't win the Europa League too. Got a feeling it may happen.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

If he's willing to leave Leicester for us it must be either

1. Some sort of bottling it as they fall 

2. Last chance to be at the very top if that is the goal of the club which I'm not yet convinced by

Or both even.

It can't be his last chance, surely? Even if it is the goal of the club.

He has a project here and is pretty much in the middle of it. He'd be pretty much starting afresh with Newcastle but then the caveat of that is an extra few hundred million to play with. And to add to his pocket money. 

Fully aware he's got the 'bottler' tag given the previous 2 season finishes but for one of those there's a really big mitigating factor which has been discussed to death to be honest. 

Maybe @Dan is right in that perhaps he has taken us as far as he can and perhaps that's partly the reason for how poorly we've started the season. Perhaps that's filtering down to the players (sadly). It doesn't bode well for where we might be left. I really don't want him to go as I think he's definitely earned the right (and time) to turn it around. I think the problem for us now is that we've reached a ceiling and a height we've never reached before and now we're struggling of ways to maintain it. Unless there's more change and fresh ideas...  

Archived