talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Superman's son is bisexual

football forum

So supermans son is now bisexual. I love how much this is going to piss some people of who will claim they arent homophobic but superman son shouldnt be bisexual or gay.

• The title was changed to Superman's son is bisexual
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

It's amazing that this stuff still makes such big news because of how much it triggers an angry minority of the population who can't even really make sense of their rage.

I have friends and family who roll their eyes at this sort of thing, and the odd one who reacts worse and starts spouting off about "woke" this and "snowflake" that. I always say to them that this might mean the world to a few people dotted around who are bisexual and yet never see a superhero or other 'role model' who has that character trait portrayed in the media, and ask them how is it really harming them and ruining their life to such an extent that it's not worth it so some people can feel good about it for 5 minutes. Then I suggest more playfully that if you're that upset about a comic book character having a different gender, race, sexuality, or whatever, then who's really the snowflake? xD

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It's amazing that this stuff still makes such big news because of how much it triggers an angry minority of the population who can't even really make sense of their rage.

I have friends and family who roll their eyes at this sort of thing, and the odd one who reacts worse and starts spouting off about "woke" this and "snowflake" that. I always say to them that this might mean the world to a few people dotted around who are bisexual and yet never see a superhero or other 'role model' who has that character trait portrayed in the media, and ask them how is it really harming them and ruining their life to such an extent that it's not worth it so some people can feel good about it for 5 minutes. Then I suggest more playfully that if you're that upset about a comic book character having a different gender, race, sexuality, or whatever, then who's really the snowflake? xD

The thing is it's the modern world. There are LGBT people around and so modern  media fiction should reflect that.  The word snowflake and woke seems to get thrown around alot. I don't even know what woke is but most of it seems about social equality. As for snowflakes. People have always been offended by things. People are just offended by different things now. 

• Subscriber

Comics have always reflected current culture and society in some shape or form. Yeah it pisses some people off but that really shouldn't concern anyone as the core of the character and the message it portrays is the same which is championing good. The masses will find something new to be pissed off about in about a minute.

I get it and I don't get it.

Of course It's important to adapt to current progressive social norms and culture, but not to the extent of forsaking your entire customer demographic in order to "hopefully" obtain a new one. When the entire thing is promoted and marketed as him being bi-sexual, it screams forced. You can look Ruby Rose's Batwoman show as reference to see exactly how forced social justice fails. It's poor business and why the slur woke = broke exists in the first place. 

If DC really wanted to implement this successfully they should look at how GoT's Oberyn Martell is portrayed. 

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I get it and I don't get it.

Of course It's important to adapt to current progressive social norms and culture, but not to the extent of forsaking your entire customer demographic in order to "hopefully" obtain a new one. When the entire thing is promoted and marketed as him being bi-sexual, it screams forced. You can look Ruby Rose's Batwoman show as reference to see exactly how forced social justice fails. It's poor business and why the slur woke = broke exists in the first place. 

If DC really wanted to implement this successfully they should look at how GoT's Oberyn Martell is portrayed. 

I just find it really difficult to blame DC if a character just being bisexual is enough to forsake their existing fanbase. Why would it? People have problems if they like comic book characters enough to even care yet are willing to boycott the franchise because of the largely inconsequential character trait that he's bisexual.

I agree with the forced social justice thing. I actually don't know the context here. If DC have gone to Comic Con or something and made it their flagship announcement that this year's new superhero is going to be bisexual because they think it'll score them some brownie points on social media (and I wouldn't find this scenario that hard to believe when you see the behaviour of some other American entertainment companies), then they're asking for a backlash and I wouldn't go out of my way to defend that. I've only seen this story through the media though, it was in the top six headlines on the Sky News website earlier so I'm looking it through the lens of a media overblowing a minor detail about a comic book character because they know that headline will get them clicks and hits. Maybe I've got the context slightly wrong though.

Oberyn is a good example of a character who wasn't defined by the fact he was bisexual. It was just a part of his back story and it wasn't forced into a big deal. I think HBO didn't do as good of a job with Loras Tyrell in the same series though where they made his sexuality, in that case homosexual, probably his biggest defining feature. I also liked the way JK Rowling did it with Dumbledore, a homosexual character but actually the fact that he was gay made no difference to his character, and it wasn't even mentioned in the books because it was inconsequential, so she had thought of it, but it wasn't rammed down anyone's throat anymore than it would have been if he was straight. Ironic as I know she offended a bunch of people at some point last year in the trans debate which is one I steer well clear of.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't think it's masses. You might describe the people who roll their eyes as masses but the ones who get bizarrely angry at it are gladly in a shrinking minority.

I mean realistically the only place these kinds of things really get any super traction is that cesspool known as Twitter. Shockingly enough over the years you'll see folks who champion some causes go the exact opposite direction on another. May not classify as the masses but it does look awfully close to that when all you see in the reply stream is confusion coupled with anger at why their "beloved" hero has changed. I'd even bet that most of the people say this is poor taste from DC didn't even know Superman's son was a story arc DC were running

Unfortunately Twitter is a platform that enables those that have the most moronic viewpoints to gain the most traction so the very small minority becomes the loudest. I'm quite laid back and thick skinned in real life but hearing Rosie Jones recieved ableist abuse on Twitter by trolls for her appearance on Question Time really got under my skin. How pathetic and low do you have to be to do that. However when I went to look at what was said I had to search really hard to find anything. It was clearly a very very small number of people doing but because the way Twitter is set up those comments got a lot of attention and traction.

Contrary to what may be portrayed, most DC fans are not only part of one of the most passionate fanbases out there but they're also intelligent people. I'm sure most fans will not have an issue with this. I'd be very surprised if viewing figures are at all negatively affected by Superman's Son being bisexual.

• Subscriber

20211012_211415.jpg

I know, I know, I shouldn't amplify it but with it having less than 100 likes in over an hour I don't think my influence in this corner of the Web is going to fuel much in the way of FOX UK and some of its more toxic content.

The fact it has fallen so flat and the fact that Nigel the GB News Messiah is reduced to shouting this tripe into the ether in a desperate last attempt to be relevant is genuinely hilarious and a tiny bit sad.

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I just find it really difficult to blame DC if a character just being bisexual is enough to forsake their existing fanbase. Why would it? People have problems if they like comic book characters enough to even care yet are willing to boycott the franchise because of the largely inconsequential character trait that he's bisexual.

DC aren't to be blamed for making a gay character.  They are to be blamed if material that is forced (and in no way serves their main demographic or source material), does poorly. IE Ruby Rose's Batwoman. I sincerely doubt that show was a catastrophic failure because every DC fan is secretly a homophobe. 

DC has a massive and loyal following. There is a way to successfully create these progressive characters and still maintain the original integrity of the source material, as you mentioned with Loras Tyrell in GoT.  You can have these progressive characters where their sexual orientation isn't what defines them. That's unfortunately what we are seeing with Superman's son when at the moment it's main marketing is "Look at me, Look at me, I'm Gay/Bi-sexual".  

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I agree with the forced social justice thing. I actually don't know the context here. If DC have gone to Comic Con or something and made it their flagship announcement that this year's new superhero is going to be bisexual because they think it'll score them some brownie points on social media (and I wouldn't find this scenario that hard to believe when you see the behaviour of some other American entertainment companies), then they're asking for a backlash and I wouldn't go out of my way to defend that. I've only seen this story through the media though, it was in the top six headlines on the Sky News website earlier so I'm looking it through the lens of a media overblowing a minor detail about a comic book character because they know that headline will get them clicks and hits. Maybe I've got the context slightly wrong though.

Oberyn is a good example of a character who wasn't defined by the fact he was bisexual. It was just a part of his back story and it wasn't forced into a big deal. I think HBO didn't do as good of a job with Loras Tyrell in the same series though where they made his sexuality, in that case homosexual, probably his biggest defining feature. I also liked the way JK Rowling did it with Dumbledore, a homosexual character but actually the fact that he was gay made no difference to his character, and it wasn't even mentioned in the books because it was inconsequential, so she had thought of it, but it wasn't rammed down anyone's throat anymore than it would have been if he was straight. Ironic as I know she offended a bunch of people at some point last year in the trans debate which is one I steer well clear of.

JK is the biggest fraud. 

"I never said Hermione wasn't black, I just approved all the artworks where she was white, never actually wrote that she was black, approved of a white actress but I'm not a shill I promise. "

"Dumbledore was gay, I just never said he was, or hinted at it but I promise you I was writing gay characters into my kids books before everyone else"

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

JK is the biggest fraud. 

"I never said Hermione wasn't black, I just approved all the artworks where she was white, never actually wrote that she was black, approved of a white actress but I'm not a shill I promise. "

"Dumbledore was gay, I just never said he was, or hinted at it but I promise you I was writing gay characters into my kids books before everyone else"

Maybe but come on. Can't we just take someone on face value instead of finding an excuse or choosing to believe the worst possible version of them is the real one? There are enough openly nasty pieces of work out there already without us burning bridges with those who at least make a token effort to be progressive because they did progressive wrong. I honestly don't know how some people have the energy to find extra things to be angry at.

30 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

JK is the biggest fraud. 

16 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Maybe but come on. Can't we just take someone on face value instead of finding an excuse or choosing to believe the worst possible version of them is the real one? There are enough openly nasty pieces of work out there already without us burning bridges with those who at least make a token effort to be progressive because they did progressive wrong. I honestly don't know how some people have the energy to find extra things to be angry at.

I'm not angry. I just think you're a fraud if you try to take credit for something you clearly didn't do. 

There are a million ways she could have made insinuations Dumbledore was gay without explicitly spelling it out. Or she could have just spelled it out. 

Same with back Hermione. 

She didn't make a token effort. She made none. Now she wants credit. She can fuck herself with a fork

• Subscriber

I've honestly never heard of a black Hermione conspiracy and I think the majority of people just believed the gay Dumbledore thing because nobody can prove it either way. I've also never seen or heard her ask for credit. But I've already expended more energy on this than I care to.

It's a new character (I'm assuming...) so I don't care.

If out of nowhere they decided to change something about a character that's already viewed a certain way simply for woke points, then I think it's fair for people to say it's bullshit. If the reason is something else, then fair enough. Jason Momoa as Aquaman for example, makes sense.

Archived