talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Scary Video Games

football forum

• Subscriber

With that holiday coming up which makes adults wear their bedroom clothing out in public I started thinking about games that Ive played which truly made me feel like the horror element overtook the gameplay. It also coincides with my purchase of Metroid Dread where Yoshio Sakamoto said that creating a sense of tension was one of the core mechanics they wanted to implement (and they did this quite well honestly).

I actually enjoy the tension in these kinds of games because when its done right it can really add to the fun of beating a level or a boss.

What are some of the scariest game moments/games you've ever played? I won't state some of the obvious contenders

• Alien Isolation (fuck the Xeno in this game. If you haven't played it I highly recommend it)
  • Outlast
  • G.T.F.O (if you know someone that scares easily put them in your party it really does add to the fun of it all)
  • RE3 (The Original)
  • The Medium

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
6 hours ago, MUFC said:

That's the one. Played a few Evil DEad games. Even so I never liked them I found them to be scarier. 

Have to admit that sound just makes it creepier than it has to be.

The horror element of Metroid Dread is pretty well done, tbh. The fear from trying to get away from an EMMI hot on your tail and the frantic dashes you have to make for the doors... it's some good horror action.

I'll also agree with the shout for Alien: Isolation - that game was brilliant... well the first half was, sort of didn't like the shit with the robots xD

Outlast 2 (never played the original) is another.

I haven't played a Resident Evil game in an astoundingly long time, so I can't really say... but I remember those games being a bit creepy and weird.

• Subscriber

Fuck me there are some scenes in TLOU 2 that are just soooo creepy. The hospital basement section and the apartment building section are the two in particular. The clickers sound is unsettling af from the first but overall I thought it was relatively tame. I do want to play Resident Evil Village at some point that looks right up there from some of the streamer clips I was watching back upon release. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I haven't played a Resident Evil game in an astoundingly long time, so I can't really say... but I remember those games being a bit creepy and weird.

RE2:Remake imo is the best thing they've put out recently and I'd even go so far to say that it even takes Village over for the horror element. That Police Station is the first few parts of the game is done right.

On 13/10/2021 at 13:02, Mel81x said:

The clickers? 

They were a pain in the ass, especially when you have runners nearby. Basically cover the weaknesses of each other. Nice bit of tension. 

16 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Is this the one with the house and the creepy family?

Whiskey might have been thinking of RE7 (your quote is correct I think). RE6 was the shit one where they had three different stories but none worth playing. 

For me, Alien Isolation was one that had the potential to shit yourself (though never completed it for some reason). 

In terms of shit your pants moments, both of my memorable ones came from the original RE2.

1. After putting two crystals in the necklaces of statues (I believe) and starting to leave the room, a licker just bursts through the glass roof above out of nowhere. 

2. My bigger shit my pants moment. After downing Mr. X/tyrant on the second disc, I left the room and proceeded down the corridor........ only for the prick to burst through the wall right in front me seconds after I put him down. Wasn't expecting that at all. 

Actually, here we go. Between 1:47 - 3:55 for the whole second point. 

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Fuck me there are some scenes in TLOU 2 that are just soooo creepy. The hospital basement section and the apartment building section are the two in particular. The clickers sound is unsettling af from the first but overall I thought it was relatively tame. I do want to play Resident Evil Village at some point that looks right up there from some of the streamer clips I was watching back upon release. 

There are a few missions on the last of us 2. the one you've mentioned and the one where there is a wrecked train and it's dark and smoky. There's a mission where you fall from a roof into some room. That mission is horrible as it's a tight space and nowhere to run. 

The original Slenderman game, while barely 15 mins long, was scary as it was one of the first games I'd played where there is literally nothing you can do against the monster, except run away. To me the scariest games are always the ones where it is clear that you are the one being hunted. I've watched streams of Alien: Isolation and I could never play that shit.

Another game that, while not very scary in the end, freaked me out was STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. When I started playing it, I just kind of assumed all enemy types were human mercs. So when I first went into an abandoned laboratory and faced those bloodsucking Lovecraftian abominations it took me completely off-guard. Sometimes the scariest games or parts of games are when the horror aspect isn't the main focus of the game, but just sort of lingers in the background.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Has anybody played the first Unchartered and The Last of us 2? There is a mission on Uncharted which spans around 2 or 3 chapters. Round chapters 17 to 19/20. It's underground, you have to find a generator while being attacked by these weird human deformed type characters. It reminds me of the hospital scene in The Last of us 2 which is also underground. Both are freaky, dark and jumpy as anything. 

Archived