• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal 2-2 Crystal Palace - Monday 18th October, 2021

football forum

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Ref should have blown before the corner.

Shouldnt you have had a man sent of though? I haven't seen the game but if that is the case it evens out 

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Drawing to Palace at home justifies a celebration like that. 

To be fair most teams do celebrate late equalisers even if it is against teams they would expect to beat 

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

To be fair most teams do celebrate late equalisers even if it is against teams they would expect to beat 

You have no European football to get in the way and you spent 130 million this summer, on top of the ridiculous amount of money you spent the past 6 seasons. 

Drawing to Palace at home should not justify that celebration in the slightest. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

You have no European football to get in the way and you spent 130 million this summer, on top of the ridiculous amount of money you spent the past 6 seasons. 

I haven't seen the celebration so cant comment but like I said teams to tend to celebrate late goals even if they should beat the opponents. If they were celebrating after the whistle that would be different 

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I see what you're saying but on the flip side, Arsenal are a club that have lost their winning mentality a while ago and I'd expect any club - especially the fans of the club - to be elated with a last minute equaliser. Especially when I think for much of that second half, Arsenal were looking like they weren't up to much.

I do wonder whether we were better of keeping Emery to be honest.  I've thought it for a while because although we were on a bad run. I feel like once we had won again we might have got better and been better of now. 

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Nah Saka had a high foot.

Just seen it. Saka has foot up high and so the defender puts his foot up high because of that. I think it could be argued they were both going for the ball. I'd imagine most refs would give a yellow. 

Well on reflection we didn't have Zaha, Eze and Olise starting so to see Arsenal celebrate a point against us like they did shows the fantastic strides we've made as a club.

It does feel like with dropping wins against Brighton and Arsenal right at the end and the manner we drew to Leicester that we've dropped six points. The youthful exuberance is great to see but at times that strays in to tactical naivety which we need to address. Both Michael Olise and Joachim Andersen went chasing the clearance just before the goal when really you need the latter in the area heading it out.

A lot of the gorms on Twitter were complaining about substituting Edouard for Tomkins. I think thats harsh on Patrick Vieira as that was made as a reaction to Arsenal bringing on Martinelli and having so many attacking players. It's really a 'damned if you do, damned if you dont' scenario.

We've done really well to play the football we have given the horrid fixture run we've had but the Newcastle game will be a big test for Patrick Vieira. Hopefully Zaha is fit, Olise starts, and we can see what this team is fully capable of.

• The title was changed to Arsenal 2-2 Crystal Palace - Monday 18th October, 2021

Where do the Arsenal we saw on Super Sunday about 3 weeks ago v Spurs disappear to?

Surely you are robbing the fans if you can play so well for one game and so average in the games either side of that one.

• Subscriber

I actually think Arsenal are in the hunt for 4th place if Man Utd keep Solskjaer for the rest of the season. The glaring problem for me is the lack of resilience and composure when something goes against them. They panicked when Palace equalised when a calmer approach probably would have seen them win the game. Crystal Palace also shouldn't be underestimated this season, they've looked pretty good under Vieira so far and have gone under the radar because of a pretty harsh fixture list. In time, I think this result will look not as bad as it looks this morning.

I think the issue with Arsenal is mainly that there does not seem to be any consistent idea, and yet the team is still somehow predictable.

Against Spurs they were flying with quick passes into space, counterattacks, and varied runs in behind. Then at other times they place an achingly slow build-up game with basically no threat except Tierney on the overlap. 

Sometimes they press high and pen the opponent in, and then they can spend 20-30 minutes at a time just defending deep and letting themselves get dominated by teams like Palace. 

One consistent feature is the passing out from the back, but even then that doesn't look as comfortable as it should be after so long. It's not like a Conte team,  where you can see that the players have completely absorbed it and can do it rapidly and automatically under pressure.

Two poor goals to concede from our end. Palace pounced well to steal the ball but we should've reacted better to it. Neither keeper was worked that hard and the draw was probably a fair result although that could've been different if McArthur had gotten his two yellows.

• Subscriber

Arsenal could be in the hunt for 4th but they aren't good enough either. Last night was a perfect illustration of why.

4th feels quite open at the minute, but I do suspect Solskjaer may get the boot and that'll be enough for Man Utd to get it.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived