talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steve Bruce Leaves Newcastle By 'Mutual Consent'

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Stan said:

When you consider the lack of loyalty he showed his previous clubs throughout his 20+ years in management, is it any surprise that disdain towards him eventually caught up with him once he accepted his 'dream job' that he had turned down on at least two previous occasions?

I got to be totally honest here, forget all his mistakes a minute, I'm actually glad for his mental health and wellness he's gone and out that situation. You could see him having a breakdown which could be potentially fatal at his age.

When you have a constant barrage of abuse, majority of people showing such hate towards you, reading negative words about you in the media everyday, being hounded everywhere you go....I think human empathy kicks in. All that pressure isn't healthy for anyone, especially not his age.

Yeah he's Ex-Scum, yeah he's done a poor job and Ashley should have booted him a lot earlier but the bloke is fucking human, and been a defensive shield for Ashley, the real cunt in all this. You'd think he'd run over a litter of puppies some of the things said about him.

All rivalries aside, fan or not a fan of him, go take a break Steve. Go on a couple nice holidays in the sun and spend time with your family and loved ones. If anyone needed it, its you.

Agree with @Lucas.... When all is said and done I wouldn't want to have been in that position.. 

Speaking to the Telegraph, Steve Bruce said: "I think this might be my last job.

"It’s not just about me; it’s taken its toll on my whole family because they are all Geordies and I can’t ignore that.

"They have been worried about me… especially my wife Jan. What an amazing woman she is, incredible, she’s just a fantastic woman, wife and mother and grandmother. She dealt with the death of my parents, hers have not been very well. And then she had me to worry about and what I’ve been going through the last couple of years.

"I can’t take her for granted, she has spent her whole life following me around from football club to football club and if I was to say to her tomorrow, I’ve been offered a job in China, or anywhere, she would say, 'Steve, is this right for you, do you want to do it?' And she’d back me again.

"I’m 60 years old and I don’t know if I want to put her through it again. We’ve got a good life so, yeah, this will probably be me done as a manager - until I get a phone call from a chairman somewhere asking if I can give them a hand. Never say never, I’ve learnt that."

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Lucas said:

All rivalries aside, fan or not a fan of him, go take a break Steve. Go on a couple nice holidays in the sun and spend time with your family and loved ones. If anyone needed it, its you.

England's tour of the West Indies in the New Year has come at just the right time for him B|

50 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I got to be totally honest here, forget all his mistakes a minute, I'm actually glad for his mental health and wellness he's gone and out that situation. You could see him having a breakdown which could be potentially fatal at his age.

When you have a constant barrage of abuse, majority of people showing such hate towards you, reading negative words about you in the media everyday, being hounded everywhere you go....I think human empathy kicks in. All that pressure isn't healthy for anyone, especially not his age.

Yeah he's Ex-Scum, yeah he's done a poor job and Ashley should have booted him a lot earlier but the bloke is fucking human, and been a defensive shield for Ashley, the real cunt in all this. You'd think he'd run over a litter of puppies some of the things said about him.

Well said and so very true!

• Subscriber

I've never liked the bloke from a footballing side but as Lucas so brilliantly put, he is human and doesn't deserve the barrage of abuse he's been given by his own fans and those from other teams too. I can't imagine how it feels being manager of Newcastle under Ashley and then to have the club taken over and people turning on you more. 

Whilst it's not nice to see somebody recieve the level of abuse he did at times, Steve Bruce knew exactly what he was walking in to and the level of payoff he would receive if it didn't work out. It's not like he showed the likes of Sheffield United, Huddersfield Town, Crystal Palace, Birmingham City, Wigan Athletic, Hull City or Sheffield Wednesday when he walked out on them either. For his physical health and mental wellbeing a long break is possibly best but let's not all get the tissues out so quickly for him.

My feelings on it lie somewhere in between what @Lucas& @The Palace Fan have said. He’s shown himself to be a bit of an arse through his career, and he knew what he was getting into with Newcastle. That being said, some of the abuse at times was outrageous and the media hounding him out this week has been a disgrace. Still, I think he will sleep fine tonight after checking his online banking app. 

He came for the money, he clung on for the money. He's obviously determined the money was worth putting his family through all that. Now they can just enjoy that money.

It was maybe harder for them than when the abuse came in at Villa and Sunderland because those two clubs were ran properly and sacked managers when fans had enough. Mike Ashley doesn't do that, so Bruce really had to cling on for his payout.

Maybe on reflection he might regret what he chose to do.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

37 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

He came for the money, he clung on for the money. He's obviously determined the money was worth putting his family through all that. Now they can just enjoy that money.

It was maybe harder for them than when the abuse came in at Villa and Sunderland because those two clubs were ran properly and sacked managers when fans had enough. Mike Ashley doesn't do that, so Bruce really had to cling on for his payout.

Maybe on reflection he might regret what he chose to do.

I'm somewhere between these two posts. No one should be subject to some of the hatred and personal attacks he has been the target of, and his family shouldn't be effected by that...but away from that it's quite easy to be critical of him, his management and his press conferences. He's been a willing participant in making the experience of supporting NUFC a bad experience and has made a lot of money from it.

Honestly, I think he's a shit manager that just has lots of friends in the media - they did their best to relieve their pressure off him being utterly dogshit last season and now that he started facing questions about his future (and the eventual sacking that was always coming, just a matter of time before they did it) he managed to flip the narrative so he's a victim here. He's not a victim, nobody told him to take that job.

He knew he would get abuse from the Newcastle fans - he was told that before taking the job. He got abuse at the last 2 clubs he was at for some dogshit football as well, so he can't have been too surprised. If he hated the job so much he could have walked, but he didn't want to because he wanted the big payout - so clearly he thought putting up with it was enough.

Having said that, facing a constant barrage of abuse daily probably doesn't feel great and I'm sure even millions of pounds can't repair or replace the feeling of everyone in the city you're from hating the shit out of you. So it's probably for the best he's gone.

It's like ending a toxic relationship. All parties are better off, I suppose. Mike Ashley is richer, Fat Head Bruce ends up taking less abuse on a daily basis and a bit richer, and Newcastle have been sold to the Saudis like Liam Neeson's daughter in Taken before he comes and rescues her.

One thing I always found funny about Bruce is the ease at which he'd contradict himself if you let him talk long enough. Like today he's  said "I think it might be my last job" as he goes on to explain why. Then later in the same interview would say if any chairman wanted him he'd be open to the offer.

Unfortunately for Bruce his media handling and his choice of words created a toxic atmosphere. He just didn't get Newcastle United. His attempts to show himself as a Geordie and Newcastle lifelong fan were, like Tony Blair's attempts to do the same, built on half truths and sketchy history. 

As we'd seen it all before with Blair it was clear he was trying to be liked, be a man of the people. Those sorts never survive under the microscope. 

Some of you may remember Blair on match of the day talking about how he watched Jackie Milburn from the Gallowgate when he was a boy. Didn't take much for people to work out that Milburn retired when Blair was 2 and in Australia and the Gallowgate was the away end at the time.

Likewise Bruce had a history of celebrating Man Utd beating Newcastle after he retired. Of telling Sunderland fans he didn't support Newcastle or care about the club. Though that didn't stop making the accusation that Sunderland fans only didn't like him because he was a Geordie, his words, rather than because they saw their team regressing.

Archived