talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Is Mo Salah the best player in the world currently?

football forum

This talk has piped up a lot this season, certainly the best player in England currently but there has also been talk that it's not just this season he is the best in the world.... Are people ignoring Karim Benzema who has a considerably higher goals + assists number than Salah this season?

Last season Lewandowski scored 48 goals and got 9 assists (57 goal contributions) compared to Salah's 31 goals and 6 assists (37 gc)...which was still lower than Karim Benzema with 30 goals and 9 assists (39gc).

Salah is clearly a much more agile player and technically more proficient than Lewy at least...but as a forward his job is the same as both players...score goals and create goals.

Currently Benzema is doing better than him at that and Lewy has pretty much always been a level above Salah.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salah's a wide forward that's pretty much doing everything brilliantly so far this season. I think he's definitely the best player in the league, I dunno about the best player in the world... but I'll go ahead and say it because I'm a Liverpool fan.

• Subscriber

It seems much easier to compare Benzema as they play the same spot but I havent watched Real enough in the last few years to really say much on that front. What I can offer about Lewy is not only are his numbers what they are its just how he scores. Take last weekend against Leverkussen as an example, he scored 2 in a 5-1 beat down. His first goal off a cross was a perfectly executed back heel flick. Second was a poachers toe poke in the box as it was bumbled accross the goal right into his path. Point is the guy scores all types of goals, he literally doesnt have a weakness. Headers, inside the box, outside the box, backheels, volleys, you name it hes scored it. These last two years in particular hes been nigh unplayable. 

5 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

It seems much easier to compare Benzema as they play the same spot but I havent watched Real enough in the last few years to really say much on that front. What I can offer about Lewy is not only are his numbers what they are its just how he scores. Take last weekend against Leverkussen as an example, he scored 2 in a 5-1 beat down. His first goal off a cross was a perfectly executed back heel flick. Second was a poachers toe poke in the box as it was bumbled accross the goal right into his path. Point is the guy scores all types of goals, he literally doesnt have a weakness. Headers, inside the box, outside the box, backheels, volleys, you name it hes scored it. These last two years in particular hes been nigh unplayable. 

How he is viewed by a lot of people in England is just a disrespect imo, he would absolutely be achieving the same numbers here.

I don't know how someone can qualify Salah as 'more technically' proficient than Lewandowski? He has a what better technique than Lewa? Lewa can shoot from any angle or position, outside the box, left foot, right foot, head, chipped, curled, with power, and he has an amazing first touch as well, one in the best in the world. Lewa can put a pass or a cross on a dime as well.

8 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Tbf the same can be said about Salah. From bangers way out of the box, to tap ins, to mazy runs passed several players making defenders look like training cones.

I think Lewandowski's one of the best attackers in the world. I also think Salah is too. Same with Benzema lol. But I agree with you, comparing Lewa to Salah is a bit weird because while they're both attackers... they've got pretty different playstyles.

All 3 are world class though.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't know how someone can qualify Salah as 'more technically' proficient than Lewandowski? He has a what better technique than Lewa? Lewa can shoot from any angle or position, outside the box, left foot, right foot, head, chipped, curled, with power, and he has an amazing first touch as well, one in the best in the world. Lewa can put a pass or a cross on a dime as well.

Meant more his dribbling ability

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I don't think he dives as well as Salah :ph34r:.

For what it's worth, Salah and Lewandowski are the top 2 right now. I don't know how that can be argued against. They are both in their prime and in top form. They both contribute insanely well to their respective teams and constantly produce against all kinds of opposition. Neither go missing in the big-games and both are ridiculously good at scoring goals, all kinds of goals at that. 

1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

He's in good form but it's a stretch to say he's better then Foden or Haaland

Foden will overdose in Shagaluf before he touches Salah's boots. I don't know how this kid captures every negative youth stereotype of the British in the last twenty years but he does. Looks like a fucking character from the Inbetweeners.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I don't think he dives as well as Salah :ph34r:.

For what it's worth, Salah and Lewandowski are the top 2 right now. I don't know how that can be argued against. They are both in their prime and in top form. They both contribute insanely well to their respective teams and constantly produce against all kinds of opposition. Neither go missing in the big-games and both are ridiculously good at scoring goals, all kinds of goals at that. 

Because it's Lewa and Vardy, Stan.

Just now, Danny said:

Because dribbling skill is a core element of technical ability

So is passing, first touch, shooting, crossing, tackling, free kicks, yadda yadda. It's nebulous at best. Jorginho isn't the greatest dribbler but you'd still say he has incredible technique when it comes to certain skills, no?

1 minute ago, Spike said:

So is passing, first touch, shooting, crossing, tackling, free kicks, yadda yadda. It's nebulous at best. Jorginho isn't the greatest dribbler but you'd still say he has incredible technique when it comes to certain skills, no?

Fair point fair point

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Fair point fair point

Don't get me wrong, I sorta knew what you meant by it, because 1. I know of the players were talking about. 2. I know you well enough to get what angle you're coming from. But my major issue with 'technical ability' is that it doesn't really explain much as a statement. Let's say for instance there is a player I've never seen before and you say he is 'technical' I really wouldn't know what that meant especially without context. He could be a sweeper keeper or a dribbling winger, or even a precise passing CB.

I was more curious to know exactly technique you were talking about, and now you've clarified dribbling, I'd be inclined to agree 100% with you. But saying that, it is more crucial to a player out wide to be a strong dribbler than a centre.

Lewandowski. 

Simply put, his numbers are just far and away incredible. 309 goals and 66 assists in 340 appearances for Bayern. Averaging a 1.10 goal contribution a game. Add the fact he is one of the best big game players on the planet, and has a technical skillset you do not find in most ST's in todays game. This isn't some poacher or target man, he is a complete forward. 

Archived