talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal 3-1 Aston Villa - Friday 22nd October, 2021

football forum

• Administrator

Kick-off 20.00

Live on Sky Sports

1200px-Arsenal_FC.svg.png        VS      1200px-Aston_Villa_FC_crest_(2016).svg.p

Last 3 Meetings
06/02/2021 - Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal
08/11/2020 - Arsenal 0-3 Aston Villa
21/07/2020 - Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal

Recent Form
Arsenal - DDWWW
Aston Villa - LLWLW

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how this game will go to be honest. Arsenal folded mid week when our attacking players ran at a fairly mediocre Ben White and now he's going up against Watkins, Ings and Buendia. At the same time Aston Villa have been fairly unpredictable this season and Arsenal have players like Lacazette and Aubamayng who are also fairly unpredictable and can punish anybody when on form.

26 minutes ago, shut up said:

I'm generally a big Southgate fan but if Lingard is in the squad ahead of Smith Rowe again he needs a good hiding 

Sometimes it can be that certain players play for bigger teams in bigger games and managers feel they will handle the pressure better. Or maybe they fit better in the system. Managers do have lots of information and stats that we dont I think. Not to say you shouldn't have an opinion but I always think it's good to be aware of things like that. I mean grealish wasnt as good as some were expecting for England. Maybe southgate was able to anticipate that? 

I do like Smith Rowe though. The problem will be keeping him though if we carry on the way we are. I don't see us being any more than a mid table side under arteta. Great win tonight  but then we could get hammered by Leicester next week. I'm not a fan of sacking managers all the time but for me arteta has had long enough

8 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Sometimes it can be that certain players play for bigger teams in bigger games and managers feel they will handle the pressure better. Or maybe they fit better in the system. Managers do have lots of information and stats that we dont I think. Not to say you shouldn't have an opinion but I always think it's good to be aware of things like that. I mean grealish wasnt as good as some were expecting for England. Maybe southgate was able to anticipate that? 

Erm…Smith Rowe plays for Arsenal, not Oldham Athletic. I think they lad knows how to handle a good level of pressure. He has also player a lot more for Arsenal than Lingard has for Utd in the last year. Maybe Southgate has his own biases, and isn’t alway picking players on merit. Is that not a possibility?

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Erm…Smith Rowe plays for Arsenal, not Oldham Athletic. I think they lad knows how to handle a good level of pressure. He has also player a lot more for Arsenal than Lingard has for Utd in the last year. Maybe Southgate has his own biases, and isn’t alway picking players on merit. Is that not a possibility?

Yeah it is. But he may have other reasons also I dont know. Utd are a bigger team than us though and they are in the champions league which does influence managers alot.  I'm not saying that is the reason I'm just speculating. 

4 minutes ago, shut up said:

What stats are they? Lingard doesn't even get game time at Man Utd. He's also very one dimensional. Smith Rowe can play anywhere and is excellent technically. Lingard isn't far off 29 & clearly isn't the future. Fuck him off now & start integrating younger players like Smith Rowe, Maddison etc...

Hopefully Arteta gets binned off this season.

I dont know mate. Like I said I dont always know why managers make the decisions they do. If I knew how to manage a football team I would be a lot richer. I'm speculating. I could quite easily be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I dont know mate. Like I said I dont always know why managers make the decisions they do. If I knew how to manage a football team I would be a lot richer. I'm speculating. I could quite easily be wrong. 

So you made a point of quoting @shut up only to make baseless speculations? Being contradictory for no reason. “He might be seeing secret stats that proves Lingard has been better this season”. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

So you made a point of quoting @shut up only to make baseless speculations? Being contradictory for no reason. “He might be seeing secret stats that proves Lingard has been better this season”. 

Cant be bothered. 

That's better Arsenal. More like the Spurs performance. Deserved victory in truth and probably should have been well over before the wobble at the end. Their key is consistency now, these performances can't be a 1 in 4 showing, they need to be far more frequent. 

Villa have strengthened their squad really well but from what I see at the moment, they look like they are trying to make a system work to accommodate the new personal and get the best out of them, as opposed to the other way round and it's not quite working.

At least when he ditched the 3 at the back, Villa actually looked more dangerous. They should stick to what they know.

4 minutes ago, shut up said:

It's not even like I think Smith Rowe is miles better than Lingard. it's more to do with the latter being a fringe player who doesn't even make every England squad, and his age means he won't be around for future tournaments really. So it makes no sense to keep picking him over younger players who will be around for another 10 years.

I feel similarly about Trippier. He's decent enough, but he doesn't always make the squad, so I think we should knock that on the head and start picking Trent & James Justin (as well as R. James) as they'll be around for another decade. 

Thats fair mate. I'm not saying you are right or wrong. I'm just saying that when  southgate(who knows considerably more about football than me) picks a player and I think he shouldn't I just consider that he may have a reason for it I haven't thought of. Thats all I'm saying. Not saying you shouldn't have an opinion or anything. In regards to lingard. I think he should leave utd. He was good at west ham just doesn't get the game time at utd. 

4 hours ago, Rick said:

Villa have been terrible, they need to drop this three at the back. Their midfield is being swamped. 

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

That's better Arsenal. More like the Spurs performance. Deserved victory in truth and probably should have been well over before the wobble at the end. Their key is consistency now, these performances can't be a 1 in 4 showing, they need to be far more frequent. 

Villa have strengthened their squad really well but from what I see at the moment, they look like they are trying to make a system work to accommodate the new personal and get the best out of them, as opposed to the other way round and it's not quite working.

At least when he ditched the 3 at the back, Villa actually looked more dangerous. They should stick to what they know.

Yes, there has been a feeling so far Dean Smith seems to be going with accommodating the newer bigger money signings.

The 3 at the back does seem like it's asking too much of Douglas Luiz, John McGinn, Matt Targett & Matty Cash.

Hopefully Dean Smith sees what he needs to do.

Which for me, is revert to 4-3-3 which wasn't really a problem before. Choose Ings or Watkins to start, because just the 1 with 2 from the available wing-attackers, El Ghazi, Traore, Buendia & Bailey, I'm sure would all work much better in & around 1 of Ings or Watkins. They have had fitness problems. 

All in all, it really has felt a long way removed from the side that have had a winning streak against Arteta's Arsenal before this one. And some large portion is on Dean Smith's selections. It honestly seems like he's worried about curtailing Ollie Watkins development & not making use of Ings. For me, it's long beyond time to flip a coin if he's not sure or refuses to make the choice himself.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, shut up said:

This doesn't really work when Norwich themselves are still complete shit.

Arsenal were well on top there. Far better than the other night. Got to ask questions of Villa - they look a very hit and miss side to me but probably more misses than hits so far this season.

• The title was changed to Arsenal 3-1 Aston Villa - Friday 22nd October, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived