talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alec Baldwin Prop Gun Incident

football forum

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of a disingenuous title for the thread. It seems it was a Brandon Lee style accident. "Alec Baldwin prop gun tragedy" or some shit is probably more appropriate 

Here are some real comments from a right wing aussie news platform

"All those times you blamed Trump for killing people with covid now look at you actually killing someone. You reap what you sow. R.I.P. to the deceased"

"Karma comes for woke, anti Trump Alec. That poor woman though"

"An accident? With that guy's temper, you can't rule out intentional"

"Everything woke turns to shit."

And so on. Fuck me. 

• Subscriber

Bloody weird, I thought all these movie prop guns on set used blanks? I found this...

"A horrific tragedy occurred Thursday on the New Mexico set of the upcoming western, “Rust,” when the film’s cinematographer, 42-year-old Halyna Hutchins, was killed, and director Joel Souza gravely injured in an accidental shooting. A prop gun, filled with blanks, malfunctioned when it was fired by star Alec Baldwin, an event that is still under investigation by local law enforcement..."

MORE

I don't believe a prop gun would kill.

For me three possible scenarios:

Someone swaps the gun.

Someone puts a bullet into the prop gun.

Both the above may be done by the shooter or may be done by a third party and the actor is unaware until the shooting.

Deaths from prop firearms are extremely rare, but not unheard of, given that real weapons are often used in filming while loaded with blanks – cartridges that create a flash and a bang without actually discharging a bullet.

The most notorious case of this happening was that of Brandon Lee, the 28-year-old son of martial arts legend Bruce Lee, who was killed while completing the 1993 Gothic comic book adaptation The Crow. He was accidentally shot while filming his character’s death scene.

It was subsequently discovered that an old live cartridge had become lodged in the barrel of the revolver in question, which was released when it was fired at Lee for the movie with blank rounds loaded in the chamber.

Responding to the latest tragedy, Lee’s sister Shannon tweeted on behalf of her family:  “Our hearts go out to the family of Halyna Hutchins and to Joel Souza and all involved in the incident on ‘Rust’. No-one should ever be killed by a gun on a film set. Period.”

In another incident, American actor Jon-Erik Hexum, 26, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound during the filming of the TV show Cover Up in 1984.

Bored during a production break, Hexum jokingly pointed a prop pistol loaded with blanks to his temple and fired, little realising the weapon still contained gunpowder.

The force fractured his skull and drove a segment of bone into his brain, leading to his death by haemorrhage.

Also reacting to the Rust incident was Law & Order writer David Slack, who tweeted: “Prop guns are guns. Blanks have real gunpowder in them. They can injure or kill - and they have.”

• The title was changed to Alec Baldwin Prop Gun Incident
  • Subscriber
11 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Bit of a disingenuous title for the thread. It seems it was a Brandon Lee style accident. "Alec Baldwin prop gun tragedy" or some shit is probably more appropriate 

Here are some real comments from a right wing aussie news platform

"All those times you blamed Trump for killing people with covid now look at you actually killing someone. You reap what you sow. R.I.P. to the deceased"

"Karma comes for woke, anti Trump Alec. That poor woman though"

"An accident? With that guy's temper, you can't rule out intentional"

"Everything woke turns to shit."

And so on. Fuck me. 

For what its worth theres been a lot of bullshit headlines out this way too. In the day in age where Fox News gets away with what they do on a daily basis facts no longer matter. Clickbait rules the world now. 

The worst I saw: "From a parking spot brawl and homophobic slurs to battles with anger management, drink and drugs: How movie set shooting tragedy is latest dramatic episode to hit Alec Baldwins turbulent career" - Dailey Mail. Just fucking christ. 

So a prop-gun is basically a real gun loaded with blanks (I think). Someone accidentally loaded it with real bullets...

It was probably a ridiculous level of incompetence but you'd think there's extremely stringent protocols in place when dealing with real guns on set.

Checked twitter and it seems everything in America has to lead back to politics. Alec Baldwin speaks out against Republicans so obviously they're treating it as him basically being a murderer. Even though this was on a movie set, he obviously shouldn't have assumed that he wasn't going to be handed a gun with blanks in it. Why on earth would he assume that...? 😑 Not just talking random users either. Actual conservative commentators in America.

American news coverage must be batshit insane. All the time.

So apparently production didn't want to have expenses for gun safety experts on the set to load and distribute weapons, so they merely had a staff member fill this role who is on record stating she has no idea what she was doing. 

Madness. Absolute madness. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

So apparently production didn't want to have expenses for gun safety experts on the set to load and distribute weapons, so they merely had a staff member fill this role who is on record stating she has no idea what she was doing. 

Madness. Absolute madness. 

Source? Because from what I read on BBC and CNN who quote statements of the injured director and a camera operator as well as search warrant affidavit, they had an armorer for the movie who checked the gun and handed it to the assistant director, who then handed it to Baldwin shouting "cold gun".

Just now, nudge said:

Source? Because from what I read on BBC and CNN who quote statements of the injured director and a camera operator as well as search warrant affidavit, they had an armorer for the movie who checked the gun and handed it to the assistant director, who then handed it to Baldwin shouting "cold gun".

Starts @ 2 minutes in. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Starts @ 2 minutes in. 

So from what I gathered, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was hired as a head armourer, she was not just a random staff member filling in. This was her second job as a head armourer on a movie set (the first one was in August in a Nicolas Cage movie). Granted, the production can be criticised for hiring someone so young and inexperienced, but they did hire an armourer to take care of the gun safety, and everyone has to start somewhere.

Her father was apparently a well-known Holywood armourer as well. And that podcast quote appears to be taken well out of context... She was describing her previous learning experience and getting into the trade. Here more context to that quote from the podcast:

'Dad has taught me everything but a lot of things I just kind of caught on by myself through observation, watching him do things or just knowing how the firearms work. I think loading blanks was the scariest thing to me because I was like “oh I don’t know anything about it." But he taught me that and eventually by the time I was trying to figure out how to make a specific blank go when you want it to rather than it hitting the empty cylinders and everything, I figured that out on my own.'

So it might be her responsibility, might be something else, but that video above is just poor reporting.

Archived