talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd 0-5 Liverpool - Sunday 24th October, 2021

football forum

You know when you've been out all day, seen the game, got lots to say but there's 6 pages of unread content and you don't know where to start...that's exactly me right now xD

So I won't gloss over the game much. I'll just say this.

Viva Mo Salah. He looks like the Egyptian Ronald McDonald and yet he's the best player on the planet right now, no arguments in my book.

I'm not going to lay into those lot too much. We know they are a shit show defensively and have an absolute muppet in charge but I will say this.

I watched Paul Scholes on BT straight after that Atalanta game. He was the only one at the time saying that first half scared him so much he couldn't enjoy any of the comeback and could foresee Liverpool/City doing this to them.

He was right. They have to act now. They won't play for him and that's evident from Pogba's body language alone.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
9 hours ago, Cicero said:

Gotta applaud Gary Neville for mentioning all the problems at United that the manager should be sorting out but stopping short of criticizing Solskjaer. 

I honestly think it's damaging all his credability as a pundit now. I can't even take him seriously. I get it's his mate and it's a tricky position but he's just outright lying and he knows it.

I'd be gutted if I supported them. A manager totally out of his depth, a fanbase that despite even this are largely still blindly behind him and all of your legends essentially keeping this nonsense rolling as long as possible when it's become quite clear they haven't really got the best interests of the club at heart. I had so much begrudging respect for them about 10 years ago. Embarrassing nowadays.

I do get they're a quite supportive fanbase but it's astonishing what they will tolerate. Where do you even start on their problems. It's a badly constructed squad, no balance to it, there's no obvious quick fix to sorting it. Just a real mess. I felt that result had been coming a while. I think Liverpool have been threatening to do that a long time and had never really made it happen. They on the flip side are sensational.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Tar-Mairon said:

Neville was embarrassing. He was contradicting himself like crazy, constantly saying that this had been coming for a long time but he really liked the way the team had progressed over the last couple of years. When Carragher, who was making sense, called him on it and asked what he meant, he got himself in flustered knots.

Van Gaal and Mourinho, as stated a few posts up, were diminished when they got to United and it would not be the same if they hired Pochettino or Conte.

It seems like Solskjaer and a fair few United ex pros have taken complete leave of what made them such winners during their careers and are too obsessed with some abstract about "values" (they went out of top level football a long time ago) rather than actually being successful. 

I mean, Abramovich takes a lot of shit but he realized there were major issues with Lampard, made the tough call, got in a world class manager and now Chelsea are CL winners and probable title favourites. United are so married to the concept that every manager must be the "next Ferguson" (who was completely unique) that they have forgotten what sustained success actually is.

He ties himself in knots because he's lying and he knows it. I honestly think until Solskjaer's gone he should jack it in for a while because it's just making him look embarrassing at this point. This whole thing about "values" is true as well - I think they're living in the past a bit. "You don't have to be a pressing side to win the league" - it's just plain wrong and a sign he's stuck in the 00s. The bar has been significantly raised in this league by Guardiola and Klopp. You need more now than you did back then.

There's a staggering lack of realism. They're massively living in the past. I don't even think this is something you sort by merely sacking Solskjaer either (although he's obviously totally out of his depth). It's institutionalised delusion.

It is amazing to think they have spent big for Sancho, a position they deemed a high requirement, over a top class defensive midfielder.

And yet ironic that Sancho barely gets minutes whilst Ole has no choice but to persevere with McTominay and Fred.

They really dropped the ball there.

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, MUFC said:

In the first video towards the end, why do they burst out laughing when Neville says that 'no goals needs to be a mentality and culture within the club'?

Don't get what was so funny about it?

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Stan said:

In the first video towards the end, why do they burst out laughing when Neville says that 'no goals needs to be a mentality and culture within the club'?

Am glad Souness and Carragher laid into Neville yesterday. The fucker has become a national joke with the defending of his friend. He's defending him like his life depends on it. It just wasn't Ole but his shitty coaching staff they questioned. They stated that Ole has got one of the biggest jobs in the world on the back of managing Cardiff and Molde. So why hasn't he good a really good set of coaching staff? He has people like McKenna and Carrick who are still learning. His response was that Mike Phelan worked with Fergie for years, the same bollocks coming out of his mouth.

They even questioned the Ronaldo signing. Was he what we needed? They questioned his inability to press and his general work rate.

Neville just wouldn't have it.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

It is amazing to think they have spent big for Sancho, a position they deemed a high requirement, over a top class defensive midfielder.

And yet ironic that Sancho barely gets minutes whilst Ole has no choice but to persevere with McTominay and Fred.

Van De Beek too. 

We were in for him and then United came in so he chose to go there. Fair enough, his decision. But they didn't actually need him at all.

He's like a kid playing football manager. "I'll buy all these attackers, so many I don't know what to do with them...oops Mrs Miggins, my defence fell over".

19 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Am glad Souness and Carragher laid into Neville yesterday. The fucker has become a national joke with the defending of his friend. He's defending him like his life depends on it. It just wasn't Ole but his shitty coaching staff they questioned. They stated that Ole has got one of the biggest jobs in the world on the back of managing Cardiff and Molde. So why hasn't he good a really good set of coaching staff? He has people like McKenna and Carrick who are still learning. His response was that Mike Phelan worked with Fergie for years, the same bollocks coming out of his mouth.

They even questioned the Ronaldo signing. Was he what we needed? They questioned his inability to press and his general work rate.

Neville just wouldn't have it.

Absolutely.

Neville embarrassed himself because he knows it's awful and he wants to shoot them with both barrels the way he did whenever they had an embarrassment under Van Gaal and Mourinho. But he can't because of this friendship with Solskjaer and his desire to protect him above anything else. What happened to nobody being bigger than the club?

Neville is actively encouraging the club he supposedly supports to act against its own interest based entirely on the interests of one person.

If I didn't know my football history and turned on the TV knowing nothing about the game, I'd assume that Carragher and Souness were ex United players and supporters, not Neville. Defoe largely stayed out of it as the studio neutral but when he did speak, he was far more insightful and coherent than Neville. 

Neville, who was win-at-all-costs as a player,  is now an embarrassing shrill who believes this fictional United "way" of doing things is a way of life. Ferguson was unique. Utterly unique, he will never be repeated. United could try and find their own Klopp or Guardiola but they completely fail time and time again, aided by Neville and these imaginary "values" they attribute to United. I won't forget that time that Neville inferred that anyone who didn't rate Lingaard to remain at United wasn't a "true United fan". My dad has supported Manchester United for sixty plus years, through relegation, through awful times, he was a season ticket holder until he was wedded to working weekends, travelling from Essex to Manchester not just for weekend league games but for European games on a seven hour round trip, sometimes getting home at four in the morning, supporting teams Neville played in and when Neville turned around and implied he wasn't a "true" fan because he didn't think Lingaard was good enough for the first 11, I was pretty damn angry and I don't even support United. He talks about "values"? Please. He just wants to defend his mate at all costs.

Souness and Carragher laughed simply because his efforts at dancing around the actual problem were pathetic.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

I think the sign on fee and wages paid to Ronaldo was probably the money they should have used for a DM

I know he is the arse of every joke at the moment, but Scholes is spot on here.

I remember the criticism I was getting by certain members last season when we had that very poor spell under Lampard. I stated that I would rather drop points but play a style of football that looks sustainable vs fluking 3 points. The former gives evidence that at the very least the manager knows what he wants 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

And like bloody clockwork Gary Neville is now blaming the Glazers again and that the club needs to spend more money. 

He's losing his credibility by the day. 

No point spending more money when you have someone like Ole in charge. 

Change the manager first. But not anytime soon.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Stan said:

Glad it wasn't just me, I didn't get that either, thought I'd misheard him.

For all my Solskjaer bashing, and it's happened a while, some of those players are a disgrace as well to be honest.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Glad it wasn't just me, I didn't get that either, thought I'd misheard him.

For all my Solskjaer bashing, and it's happened a while, some of those players are a disgrace as well to be honest.

I watched that bit about 4 times and still couldn't work it out.

I can only imagine something was said in all of their earpieces or something.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived