talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd 0-5 Liverpool - Sunday 24th October, 2021

football forum

• Subscriber

Got to watch some of the match on the trip I was on but what a result. Sad to see Naby get injured the way he did because tbh he was coming along quite nicely and as history has shown us he comes back a little more broken than the last time but here's hoping for a speedy recovery. 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The topic was unpinned

Firstly, I'll just point out how odd I find it that these matches still feel more about Liverpool. In the past they were the sleeping giant, capable of awaking. Now, they are fully awake. I don't think Man United as a club have really adapted to being a side that used to win.

For me, Man United's 'problems' are multiple, but also fairly simple.

Right at the end of Fergie's eternal reign.. Man City were emerging as very real challengers. He signed van Persie from Arsenal, who bluntly were selling their Top 4 spot. And it worked.

Now, with Ole, to follow up a 2nd place finish many laughed off as fluke, or not genuine.. old Ronaldo & young Sancho aren't quite feeling the same. DVB seems like a Veron type mistake, for any who date back to the late 90s & early 2000's. Even Fergie did make good & bad signings. But they most often made sense. 

Most would probably agree star CM's would have helped fix their side more than an ageing star & the hottest new thing wing-attackers.

The idea of legacy managers can pull at the emotions of some. But realistically the club are now waiting for their Klopp, or whoever, to take charge, see the fixes needed, get them done. Install a new belief & expectation.

It is entirely possible they will get back to the top with a new managerial name we probably haven't even heard of yet. But with Chelsea, Man City, new Liverpool.. new Newcastle.. it's unlikely any side will dominate with 7 titles or more in a decade any time soon. But for Man United to not really feel part of the elite group.. it has to be on the manager & those employing him.

3 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Did Gary Neville give Mourinho this sort of slack? Anyone remember?

Tbf he did give Mourinho a lot of slack - I remember when the news had leaked that Mourinho was about to get sacked and he said that: 1.) it was a disgrace United leaked that information to journalists; 2.) that sacking Mourinho mid-season would probably be a mistake. He made a lot of criticism of the board and said that many of the problems at United were beyond Mourinho.

I do think he criticised Mourinho more than he's willing to criticise Ole - but I think that's more just because it's his mate he's talking about.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Cicero said:

Neville should look back again on that final, it was Teddy Sheringham who equalised and I have always said that Sheringham had the first touch of the ball for the second and Ole just put his foot up to help it in so, to me, it was Teddy Sheringham who won us the European Cup. :coffee:

Ferguson is front and center of all the rampant cronyism that has ruined the club. Whether it be Moyes, Ole, Phelan, Carrick, Fletcher or the return of Ronaldo it’s all down to Ferguson’s influence, and it’s hardly helping us become competitive again is it?

He was the same in his latter years as manager, appointing his brother as chief scout and insisting all the young academy players sign up with his son’s agency. You’d think after fucking the club up so badly with the Moyes appointment he’d just enjoy his retirement and stay out of it, but he just can’t help himself.

40 minutes ago, Cicero said:

It is quite amusing, and albeit annoying, bacon face is still involved and indefinitely calling some shots. 

The fuck face was at the training ground today. He'll not want a new manager coming in who'll tell him to stop poking his fucking red nose into things.

12 minutes ago, MUFC said:

The fuck face was at the training ground today. He'll not want a new manager coming in who'll tell him to stop poking his fucking red nose into things.

Tbh, there's a history of incredibly great managers getting involved in their clubs after retirement in a way that sort of undermines new management - at both Liverpool and Manchester United. Matt Busby became a director at Man Utd after he retired and his tenure as a director for United was an absolute disaster. Shankly wanted a seat on our board after he retired but what happened with Matt Busby had the rest of the board of directors firmly saying "no" to the legend.

He also used to attend training at Melwood when Paisley took charge and shortly after turning up, started to act as though he was still the manager so Paisley and the club had to act to prevent him from coming round to Melwood to watch the team train because he was undermining Paisley. Which seems a bit harsh because he's a legend... but also look at what Paisley accomplished without having to worry about the spectre of a legend watching over him.

Still dunno if you should be calling probably the most important man in the history of your club a fuck face xD - although tbf I agree with you, the man's an evil little fuck face

25 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I can call him a fuck face all day long, but it’s strange that you are. Keep it up though 😂

Archived