talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Next Bond?

football forum

Was talking about it after watching the film last night, I also had a look at a previous post of mine on here saying Tom Hardy would be a good casting decision....definitely don’t agree with that now.

I think Idris Elba is the best option for the next Bond, hands down. Alongside that I would probably say Jamie Dornan could also be a good Bond.

I’ve seen shouts for Henry Cavill and Henry Goulding but I think they’re a bit too clean cut, land too much on the side of the English gentleman and don’t really seem to have that rough underbelly that you want to see in Bond nowadays.

Cillian Murphy would be a good shout and someone who I think is quite left field for the role but a very prominent actor is Christian Bale. I feel like Bale would either just immediately not look to be suited for the role or would completely make it his own, no inbetween.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Not a fan if it is Bale.

Why would Hardy be a bad option?

I think Idris Elba would be great too. Not only for the fact it would upset a hell of a lot of gammons but he's just a damn good actor and has the suave nature/approach that any person playing Bond would need. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Not a fan if it is Bale.

Why would Hardy be a bad option?

I think Idris Elba would be great too. Not only for the fact it would upset a hell of a lot of gammons but he's just a damn good actor and has the suave nature/approach that any person playing Bond would need. 

Just doesn't seem like a Bond to me, mumbles a lot, I feel like his Bond would almost come across as a bit too feminine....the roles he's played where he may act in a similar way, playing Ronnie Kray or the spy in This Means War...when he acts in a calm manner to come across as a gentleman it just doesn't really seem like Bond to me. I think he would on the other hand make a great bad guy, as he's proven before with his roles in Batman or the Revenant playing absolute fucking psycho's.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Just doesn't seem like a Bond to me, mumbles a lot, I feel like his Bond would almost come across as a bit too feminine....the roles he's played where he may act in a similar way, playing Ronnie Kray or the spy in This Means War...when he acts in a calm manner to come across as a gentleman it just doesn't really seem like Bond to me. I think he would on the other hand make a great bad guy, as he's proven before with his roles in Batman or the Revenant playing absolute fucking psycho's.

Tom Hardy... feminine?... Wow. @Tommy, @Bluewolf, @Viva la FCB have a word, will ya.

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Tom Hardy... feminine?... Wow. @Tommy, @Bluewolf, @Viva la FCB have a word, will ya.

Slightly yeah...maybe feminine is the wrong word to use....but soft? Obviously not when you're talking about his roles in Bronson or Lawless. But his natural speaking voice is quite soft at times, quite gentile and the Bond role/accent aligns much closer to his natural speaking voice than when he's acting as a nutcase.

Edit: Haha I said gentile instead of gentle which is an entirely different thing unrelated to the conversation xD

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Danny said:

Slightly yeah...maybe feminine is the wrong word to use....but soft? Obviously not when you're talking about his roles in Bronson or Lawless. But his natural speaking voice is quite soft at times, quite gentile and the Bond role/accent aligns much closer to his natural speaking voice than when he's acting as a nutcase.

Edit: Haha I said gentile instead of gentle which is an entirely different thing unrelated to the conversation xD

Interesting, as I personally think Tom Hardy is a bit too rough to play Bond, both in terms of looks, build, and personality. Sexy af, but doesn't have that suave sophistication, in my opinion. Also agree that he would be great as a villain instead.

But feminine is definitely not a word to describe Tom Hardy, ever xD 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Can't see Tom Hardy cleaned up and charming to represent Bond's persona.

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Interesting, as I personally think Tom Hardy is a bit too rough to play Bond, both in terms of looks, build, and personality. 

Great minds. 

• Subscriber

For me, Idris Elba or Henry Cavill would be the ideal choice. Cavill reminds me of Brosnan a bit, and since I always liked fun, less serious Bond movies, I'd love to have something like that again. 

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Interesting, as I personally think Tom Hardy is a bit too rough to play Bond, both in terms of looks, build, and personality. Sexy af, but doesn't have that suave sophistication, in my opinion. Also agree that he would be great as a villain instead.

But feminine is definitely not a word to describe Tom Hardy, ever xD 

I meant how he speaks rather than how he looks, cos I agree with you there, but as above not in a film like Bronson where he plays a geezer. But in something much closer to his own accent, he starts to speak as if he’s about to get overwhelmed by how cute a dog is.

Its weird but his natural accent flow between a bit of a geezer and a camp yuppy, and when he plays people closer to that he floats between both accents and neither are applicable for Bond lol

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Danny said:

I meant how he speaks rather than how he looks, cos I agree with you there, but as above not in a film like Bronson where he plays a geezer. But in something much closer to his own accent, he starts to speak as if he’s about to get overwhelmed by how cute a dog is.

Its weird but his natural accent flow between a bit of a geezer and a camp yuppy, and when he plays people closer to that he floats between both accents and neither are applicable for Bond lol

Did you watch Taboo? What did you make of his performance there?

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Did you watch Taboo? What did you make of his performance there?

I liked that a lot, though I’ve only seen a few episodes of the first series for some reason.

If I remember correctly he played more of an old school working class Londoner?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Danny said:

I liked that a lot, though I’ve only seen a few episodes of the first series for some reason.

If I remember correctly he played more of an old school working class Londoner?

Nope, more like a bourgeois Londoner and a former East India Company cadet who inherits his father's shipping empire.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Sort yourself out.... 

Idris Elba would ooze charm and sophistication in that role and look good in the action scenes... I just don't see Bale as a bond character at all

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, nudge said:

For me, Idris Elba or Henry Cavill would be the ideal choice. Cavill reminds me of Brosnan a bit, and since I always liked fun, less serious Bond movies, I'd love to have something like that again. 

I've only seen Cavill in that mad Witcher series on Netflix but he does seem like another very decent shout.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I've only seen Cavill in that mad Witcher series on Netflix but he does seem like another very decent shout.

I loved him in The Man From U.N.C.L.E., an action comedy where he also played the role of a spy. Thought he had both style and charm... 

Idris Elba looking a bit old to me.

Also not sure on the marketing of Elba as it would be a game changer to have a Black Bond.

Many Brits might feel this is taking too much liberty with the role as the book has a typical British character from the 1950s.

It depends on the target audience, if younger fans less of an issue though might be a turn-off for older traditional fans.

I can't think of an automatic choice then again I did not see Craig becoming Bond either.

6 hours ago, nudge said:

I usually agree with you on film things... but I think Cavill's a totally shit actor xD - he was great in The Witcher mind you, but I think that's because Geralt is meant to have 0 emotion and a fairly "blank slate" as a personality. Can't see him being a very good Bond.

Then again, I didn't think the man who stole Mrs. Doubtfire's wife away from him would make a good Bond and he was Bond for a pretty long time, and Goldeneye's one of my favourite Bond films ever so... who knows.

11 hours ago, Danny said:

I’ve seen shouts for Henry Cavill and Henry Goulding but I think they’re a bit too clean cut, land too much on the side of the English gentleman and don’t really seem to have that rough underbelly that you want to see in Bond nowadays.

Tbf, I think the role changes a bit based on the man who's got it. Connery, Moore, and Brosnan are more "gentlemanly" and tbh a bit more "fun" - Lazenby, Dalton and Craig have more of that rougher edge to bond & imo they tried to do the whole "James Bond is a complicated character" type of thing with those Bonds, where the character is probably a bit more in line with the source materials for the books.

As someone who pretty much likes all Bonds other than Lazenby (I dunno why, either tbh - but apparently he got the gig after he knocked out a stuntman in one punch in the auditions xD... I dunno what the fuck Bond auditions entailed back then but... that's a pretty cool story)... I'm pretty open to seeing where the character goes next.

My preference, tbh, is Tom Hardy... but I do think that other than it going from Connery to Moore, the trend has sort of been switching from "serious and gritty" Bond actors/films to going back to the "classic" (and arguably less serious) tone of Connery/Moore. Daniel Craig's Bond is obviously one of the more serious and gritty, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see it swing back to avoid that rough underbelly and go a bit more back to the series' "roots"

This is probably an unpopular opinion amongst Bond fans... but I do hope with the next actor and the next string of films they do in the series, we see Bond removed from modern day and back in the Cold War era. I'm sure they won't do that as I think part of how the producers want to take the character forward is by continuing to develop his character as this "problematic" out of date relic of the Cold War... for me an easy way around this would be to put him back in a time period where he's not anachronistic xD

But if they don't want to do that and they want to keep pushing forward in current times... I'm all for Idris Elba. The man's got more class than anyone knows what to do with and is an incredibly talented actor. It'd upset some racists... but I think he'd be one hell of a Bond.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, nudge said:

I loved him in The Man From U.N.C.L.E., an action comedy where he also played the role of a spy. Thought he had both style and charm... 

I wasnt really sold on Cavill as I associate him with Witcher, completely forgot he was in that remake of uncle, that seems like a really good fit too.

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I usually agree with you on film things... but I think Cavill's a totally shit actor xD - he was great in The Witcher mind you, but I think that's because Geralt is meant to have 0 emotion and a fairly "blank slate" as a personality. Can't see him being a very good Bond.

Then again, I didn't think the man who stole Mrs. Doubtfire's wife away from him would make a good Bond and he was Bond for a pretty long time, and Goldeneye's one of my favourite Bond films ever so... who knows.

I absolutely loved him in The Man From U.N.C.L.E., think that was a fantastic performance with a lot of charisma, presence and personality. Also enjoyed him a lot as Sherlock Holmes in the Enola Holmes movie. If those two performances are anything to go by, I think he'd be definitely able to pull it off - but only if it's a more fun Bond with more humour and lighter undertones. 

Personally, I don't care who's the next Bond, I just want it to be more fun and entertaining again xD 

Archived