The better place to talk football.

Christian Eriksen - Leaving Internazionale

football forum

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, nudge said:

If he is cleared to play by his doctors, why?

He’s got a pacemaker hasn’t he? I wouldn’t be doing any top level sports with one of those fitted. Especially when I’m in my 30’s, no top club will touch me & most importantly I have a family who went through hell watching me unresponsive on the pitch. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rick said:

If he plays again he is a bit of a selfish knob. 

How is that a selfish thing? 

Maybe he speaks with his family, has doctors clearance to play having had the treatment and rest required, and understand he wants to continue to play because its safe to do so. Maybe he wants to end his career on his terms and not something out of his control. 

I don't see it as being selfish to continue what you love doing if it's safe. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Rick said:

He’s got a pacemaker hasn’t he? I wouldn’t be doing any top level sports with one of those fitted. Especially when I’m in my 30’s, no top club will touch me & most importantly I have a family who went through hell watching me unresponsive on the pitch. 

Well you wouldn't, but there are those who do... If he's given an all clear, then surely the chance of his defibrillator malfunctioning or failing is low? People are different, think differently, and I think there are a lot more additional nuances. What if playing football is the one thing that makes him happy and his whole self-identity is based on that? Around half of retired professional athletes suffer from extreme depression, substance abuse, suicidal thoughts and other mental health issues - and they have plenty of time to prepare for that. Now imagine a player's career being forcefully ended like this at his peak; I imagine it's even harder to come to terms with. And yes, I agree that his family would be very anxious every time he's on the pitch; I know I would, but I'd say there's a good chance they wouldn't be much happier if he's miserable and spends the rest of his life living in fear, maybe even resentment, and doing something he doesn't love and enjoy.

17 minutes ago, Rick said:

Doesn't Blind at Ajax have the same sort of thing?

If he is cleared to play by his doctors - I don't think there's any problem with it.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Doctors who didn’t come across any of this throughout the numerous medicals he has done in his career. I don’t know, it just doesn’t seem to be worth it to me. But that a personal opinion. 

Well some arrythmias never show up in screening... But that's why he has defibrillator now - to avoid it happening again. So if he wants to play and his doctors are saying he's ok to do it, then I don't see why he shouldn't. It might seem "not worth it" to you, fair enough, but I think it's not so hard to understand why a professional footballer whose whole life revolved around playing football since he was a kid might have a different opinion. I personally don't see it as selfish at all; if anything, I have a lot of respect for him for wanting to come back and play, as it surely is a huge mental hurdle to overcome the fear after what happened. Reminds me of all those racing drivers who get serious injuries or sometimes almost die in a bad crash, but then go back to racing again as soon as they're allowed to, because they truly love what they are doing. Legends.

I fully understand why he may want to continue, but I can still say that I believe it to be a selfish decision. He will still be able to be involved in football, even if he isn’t playing it. Get a coaching job, get your badges. Stay safe for you family. Life is too short to be fucking about taking risks.

Even if he does continue playing, how many more years can he play? 3/4 if we are being realistic. What’s more important? Being a legend to others, or being there for the rest of your life for your family?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Rick said:

Even if he does continue playing, how many more years can he play? 3/4 if we are being realistic. 

And it wouldn't be selfish to play for those remaining years. Yeah it might not be as long as he would have perhaps wanted to play, but he's able to carry on doing what he had done for best part of 15+ years, maybe more. Don't think that can be used against him or as if it's not worth it just because it's 3 or 4 years.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Rick said:

Life is too short to be fucking about taking risks.

Well that's the main difference in our points of view. The way I see it, life is too short to NOT be taking calculated risks... Some people are happy living a "regular" life and playing it safe, some others are not and need something else. Don't think either of that is being selfish.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Rick said:

He suffered a heart attack on the pitch. His heart is damaged permanently. There’s no doctor on earth that can say it won’t ever happen again. Not a risk worth taking for me. 

Is any doctor saying that?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Rick said:

He suffered a heart attack on the pitch. His heart is damaged permanently. There’s no doctor on earth that can say it won’t ever happen again. Not a risk worth taking for me. 

He didn't suffer a heart attack, he suffered a sudden cardiac arrest due to a ventricular fibrillation - big difference, as the former suggests a damaged heart muscle whereas the latter is a rhythm disorder (i.e. disruptions of electrical signals in the heart, no damage to the muscle). Both have different causes, different outcomes and different treatments on individual basis.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/12/2021 at 18:10, Dr. Gonzo said:

Doesn't Blind at Ajax have the same sort of thing?

If he is cleared to play by his doctors - I don't think there's any problem with it.

Yes thats correct, Italy have different rules though.  Its quite worrying that several former Ajax academy players have heart issues,  Erikssen, Blind, Kanu, Sno and Nouri who unfortunately died.

I'm with @Rick here.

It's a selfish decision on the basis of measuring risk. He didn't suffer a heart attack but his condition is likely genetic and thus prone to coming back. The simple fact he has to wear a defibrillator confirms as much. 

He's going to leave behind a wife and two young children who I am sure don't give a fuck about football if it means their father is playing Russian roulette with his life. 

I was told once by a health therapist that one of the problems of modern heart disease was calcium blocking arteries and cholesterol was the anti-oxidant trying to remove it yet making the obstructed arteries worse.

In nutrition circles it is known dairy products can knock out the magnesium ratio as normally it needs to be in a 2:1 ratio, 2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium. In dairy it is more like 20:1 in favour of calcium. 

I take Magnesium now normally daily. 

51 minutes ago, Waylander said:

I was told once by a health therapist that one of the problems of modern heart disease was calcium blocking arteries and cholesterol was the anti-oxidant trying to remove it yet making the obstructed arteries worse.

In nutrition circles it is known dairy products can knock out the magnesium ratio as normally it needs to be in a 2:1 ratio, 2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium. In dairy it is more like 20:1 in favour of calcium. 

I take Magnesium now normally daily. 

It's the LDL Cholesterol that is the main culprit of heart disease and cardiovascular issues when it pertains to one's diet. 

Archived