talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nuno Santo Sacked By Spurs; Antonio Conte Hired

Conte would be a good move for Spurs in the short term and he should in theory get the best out of Kane and Son and others, the current template and squad profile of Spurs would also suit Conte's tactics. 

This move however does nothing to help my distaste for Conte though.

@StortsHow's Emerson done for you lot by the way? I watched a lot of him at Betis.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Ah, Conte. That'll be 40 million pounds for his contract, 20 million pounds for when he quits, and 100 million the first transfer window, and 200 million the second.  Conte is one of the best managers in the world, but he bends clubs to his will and I think it will break Spurs. He will threaten Levy within two months.

Yeah, added to my post above, he's also got in place a difficult owner so he can maneuver his exit when he's had enough. 

Conte was loveable and great for us in his first season, the second a sour and bitter old man.

• Subscriber
49 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

To be fair to Levy he wanted Fonseca not Nuno right? Wonder if he'll now get Fonseca in.

Unless Conte has said yes, in which case its quick sack Nuno before Ole gets sacked.

Yeah - Nuno was a Paratici appointment. Levy understands now the fans wanted someone that plays attractive football

Sounds highly likely Conte is coming though 

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Conte would be a good move for Spurs in the short term and he should in theory get the best out of Kane and Son and others, the current template and squad profile of Spurs would also suit Conte's tactics. 

This move however does nothing to help my distaste for Conte though.

@StortsHow's Emerson done for you lot by the way? I watched a lot of him at Betis.

I actually really like him. Very different to the player I thought we were getting but defensively and technically he’s very sound. Seems quite limited going forward but overall very solid. Been one of our better players 

28 minutes ago, Spike said:

Ah, Conte. That'll be 40 million pounds for his contract, 20 million pounds for when he quits, and 100 million the first transfer window, and 200 million the second.  Conte is one of the best managers in the world, but he bends clubs to his will and I think it will break Spurs. He will threaten Levy within two months.

I think Conte can win things at Spurs in 2-3 years. But then he'll fuck off out of Spurs and it'll probably be messy.

I do think it's funny he turned them down initially because they weren't willing to back him with money the way he'd want, now that it looks like he's close to agreeing they've probably come back and said "we'll meet your demands" - so it's made all the more expensive by hiring Nuno & then sacking him.

I do feel a bit bad for Nuno though.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Conte can win things at Spurs in 2-3 years. But then he'll fuck off out of Spurs and it'll probably be messy.

I do think it's funny he turned them down initially because they weren't willing to back him with money the way he'd want, now that it looks like he's close to agreeing they've probably come back and said "we'll meet your demands" - so it's made all the more expensive by hiring Nuno & then sacking him.

I do feel a bit bad for Nuno though.

This is classic Levy. 

I don’t really buy the Conte being defensive thing. He values solidity and the collective over flair players, but I get the feeling he only went into park-the-bus mode at Chelsea when the wheels were already coming off slightly. 

When he gets his team playing how wants them to, they score plenty of goals. 

The fundamental thing is getting a team to click collectively, and Conte almost guarantees that. A slightly defensive plan that works well will still likely end up creating more goals than a dysfunctional attacking gameplan.  

The fact I wanted Benitez over Nuno speaks volumes to how I think the latter is a pretty shite coach. Think he got quite lucky with the Jorge Mendes product and has been found out here. 

As for Spurs, they're just ran by incompetence. It's as if hiring your 9th choice candidate is a bad idea.

9 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I don’t really buy the Conte being defensive thing. He values solidity and the collective over flair players, but I get the feeling he only went into park-the-bus mode at Chelsea when the wheels were already coming off slightly. 

The fundamental thing is getting a team to click collectively, and Conte almost guarantees that. A slightly defensive plan that works well will still likely end up creating more goals than a dysfunctional attacking gameplan.  

He's conservative in the sense he does not like his sides pressing off the ball. When he managed us we were one of the lowest pressing teams in the league. 

He's also a very reactive manager, hence his poor outings in Europe. 

48 minutes ago, Storts said:

I actually really like him. Very different to the player I thought we were getting but defensively and technically he’s very sound. Seems quite limited going forward but overall very solid. Been one of our better players 

Yeah, he was well loved by Betis fans for his work rate, strength and energy. Defensively solid but definitely lacking a bit of craft in attack which I always thought meant that he wasn't good enough for Barcelona or some of the other top teams in Europe, particularly those who play a more expansive game.

He's still relatively young though and playing with better players he might develop even more. Full backs benefit a lot from Conte and he has the characteristics of a Conte player so it wouldn't surprise me if he's getting more recognition in the future. 

On another Betis note, shame about how Lo Celso has regressed who was probably the best player in La Liga not long ago outside the top clubs. What's happened with him?

11 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

On another Betis note, shame about how Lo Celso has regressed who was probably the best player in La Liga not long ago outside the top clubs. What's happened with him?

Mourinho & Nuno. 

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

His Juve side didn't scream defensive to me

Not really sure what success is for Spurs. The title chasing pack is more stacked than ever before. And there's a long list of nobody sides who have won a league title since the last time Spurs did so. Not sure any manager is good enough to get Spurs there quickly.

I am starting to wonder if Villa will be after a new manager before end of November. Not sure what the odds of Nuno to Villa are, or quite what I'd make of it.

37 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

London News have had some Tottenham Youtuber on called Expressions? Is this Tottenham’s version of the Arsenal bellends?

I don't think all the people on AFTV combined are as annoying and loud as Expressions.

4 minutes ago, 6666 said:

I don't think all the people on AFTV combined are as annoying and loud as Expressions.

Troopz gives him a run for his money but I agree, Expressions is by far the worst. Virtually no one can have a debate with him as they won't be allowed to get a word in. 

6 minutes ago, 6666 said:

I dunno who Expressions is...

but the AFTV people are quite possibly the biggest bellends in football. So to be more annoying than them is saying something.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Yeah, he was well loved by Betis fans for his work rate, strength and energy. Defensively solid but definitely lacking a bit of craft in attack which I always thought meant that he wasn't good enough for Barcelona or some of the other top teams in Europe, particularly those who play a more expansive game.

He's still relatively young though and playing with better players he might develop even more. Full backs benefit a lot from Conte and he has the characteristics of a Conte player so it wouldn't surprise me if he's getting more recognition in the future. 

Yeah that sounds like what I’ve seen so far too. I hope he does well under Conte. Worry a bit about his attacking output under Conte and whether someone like Bergwijn might be used in the role instead but so far so good. 

Lo Celso is such a shame. I want him to succeed. I loved him in Spain. But for whatever reason he’s really struggling here. Managers haven’t helped but there’s more to it than that. He doesn’t seem to be able to lift himself to the level required consistently. Gives the ball away a lot, lots of underhit passes etc and can’t seem to score. Worrying 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Who at Spurs is stuck in the middle of not being a great winger and not being a great full back either?

Conte will turn them into a master wing back. 

Bergwijn. 

2 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Not really sure what success is for Spurs. The title chasing pack is more stacked than ever before. And there's a long list of nobody sides who have won a league title since the last time Spurs did so. Not sure any manager is good enough to get Spurs there quickly.

I am starting to wonder if Villa will be after a new manager before end of November. Not sure what the odds of Nuno to Villa are, or quite what I'd make of it.

The fight for 4th itself is going to be heated as possible with West Ham, United, Arsenal & Leicester, who will catch up. Arsenal have a clear playing style and players who are starting to understand what Arteta is trying to do, they are a bit mentally weak but aside from that they will be there or there abouts. With Spurs you’ve got 5 teams fighting for one spot. Mad 

They had to do it, we discussed it enough in the Spurs Man U thread.

It just annoys me the timing of it coincides with the internatiknal break, which means we are going to be Conte's first Premier League game at home.

No one wants to face that new manager bounce.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

They had to do it, we discussed it enough in the Spurs Man U thread.

It just annoys me the timing of it coincides with the internatiknal break, which means we are going to be Conte's first Premier League game at home.

No one wants to face that new manager bounce.

He joins tomorrow. First game will be Everton away 

• The title was changed to Nuno Santo Sacked By Spurs; Antonio Conte Hired

Archived