• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steven Gerrard Hired by Aston Villa

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
19 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Rangers was always a stepping stone for him and it seems like most people knew except rangers fans.

and now Villa is his stepping stone for the Liverpool job...

It's even more absurd when you factor in that Rodgers was a very recent example of this, and unlike Rodgers he didn't even go fully into the whole "this is my dream job, I'm a boyhood fan, these are my people" guff that Rodgers did. 

He came in, did a professional job, and largely didn't look to throw himself into history of the club beyond a normal level of manager-fan interaction.

Feels like a brave choice, both for Villa & Gerrard.

Yes, Villa could well be a stepping stone for him. To Liverpool. And England may come knocking before Klopp leaves Liverpool.

But how much of a success does he need to be at Villa? Top 10 finishes? Higher & playing good football? Would they lower expectations for their sentimental pick? Villa will not be looking to stay bottom half.

It is probably a good match right now. Plenty of unproven potential & genuine desire to be top 50% at least.

• Subscriber

I wish him well but he has only won 1 league title here in Scotland and nothing else, I honestly thought he would stay at Ibrox a little bit longer and try for some domestic cups and maybe Europe.

Aston Villa is a huge step to take but I always thought one day he would end up back at his beloved Liverpool so this is a step closer for him.

Cheers Stevie boy for the Scottish League Title  :congrats:

8 minutes ago, Inverted said:

A few Villa fans seem to be really hostile to Gerrard personally. Is there some kind of Villa-Liverpool thing that I’ve never heard of?

I know that he always used to score against them, more than against any other side

19 minutes ago, Inverted said:

A few Villa fans seem to be really hostile to Gerrard personally. Is there some kind of Villa-Liverpool thing that I’ve never heard of?

Possibly. Not here personally. But the West Midlands is bursting with Anfield & Old Trafford tourist types.

Gerrard scored more vs Villa than any other side. And it did feel almost intentional. But for really fascinating viewing I'd recommend searching YouTube for Steven Gerrard's 'tackle' on George Boateng in a Liverpool vs Villa match from Gerrards early days.

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Might be because former Rangers boss, Alex McLeish took over at Villa (2011/12) and only lasted a season and was given the bullet for the poor results and style of play used throughout his term as manager, maybe they think Gerrard will be the same?

22 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Might be because former Rangers boss, Alex McLeish took over at Villa (2011/12) and only lasted a season and was given the bullet for the poor results and style of play used throughout his term as manager, maybe they think Gerrard will be the same?

Doubt that's the reason given McLeish went to Villa directly from Birmingham. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Doubt that's the reason given McLeish went to Villa directly from Birmingham. 

Some supporters can be funny lol, I know a lot of Villa fans rejected him coming from their local rivals in Birmingham and maybe think Gerrard coming from Glasgow Rangers maybe be McLeish in disguise. xD

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Some supporters can be funny lol, I know a lot of Villa fans rejected him coming from their local rivals in Birmingham and maybe think Gerrard coming from Glasgow Rangers maybe be McLeish in disguise. xD

I very much doubt that xD

It must be a weird feeling for Aston Villa fans. They came up to the Premier League with a Manager who was a boyhood fan, there best player was a boyhood fan and the kit was even designed by a fan. Everything felt very homely. Now that's all gone and they're going to be managed by somebody who sees them as a stepping zone for bigger things.

I guess the only solace for Aston Villa is that Stevie Gerrard would have to improve them significantly to get the Liverpool job. His brief will be the top half but I imagine he will need to do better than that if he's to get where he thinks he deserves. 

It will be a challenge to turn around a team that's lost 18 matches this calendar year (joint worst) but we've only seen the summer arrivals play 45 minutes together. So it should be interesting.

2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Are you on the pop, John? 

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

I fucking hate how he and Rodgers did it mid-season. Can’t even finish a job before fucking off.

Gerrard knows a bad run with Rangers could see the opportunity of a PL job pass him by. More likely to get a job he wants mid season than of he waits until the summer.

Archived