talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steven Gerrard Hired by Aston Villa

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

It’ll be like Joe Cole with Lampard. 

Horrid. 

I don't know to much about Joe Cole's punditry. Like I said in my experience neville doesn't tend to criticize managers that much. He  normally criticises individual players. Certainly since he left Valencia he has said he couldnt be a coach so that is probably why. He has definitely given Ole preferential treatment however it is still in line with his normal punditry I think. However carragher always criticises managers. In a very know it all way for me so if he doesnt criticise gerrard it will be very noticable 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rab said:

No one has said that managers shouldn't leave mid season. It's more of the way they do it.

Rodgers was always in the media saying certain things then does the opposite. Gerrard was always in the media saying certain things then does the opposite.

Gerrard was only interviewed like 2 weeks about his current position and said he was happy and settled, that it was a stupid question if he was open to a move elsewhere. He also didn't tell a single person he was going, not even the captain of the team.

It's cunty behaviour. If he was open and honest, I don't think I'd have an issue with it because it was always going to happen.

That's a fair cop tbh, I get the usual playing it down, under contract here etc etc. But to make out you're not moving I can understand the fans frustrations

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I don't know to much about Joe Cole's punditry. Like I said in my experience neville doesn't tend to criticize managers that much. He  normally criticises individual players. Certainly since he left Valencia he has said he couldnt be a coach so that is probably why. He has definitely given Ole preferential treatment however it is still in line with his normal punditry I think. However carragher always criticises managers. In a very know it all way for me so if he doesnt criticise gerrard it will be very noticable 

I think if Carra thinks Gerrard's a shit manager, he'll say it. He's on record as saying he wasn't really friends with any of his teammates outside the dressing room - so I really don't know how close Gerrard and Carra really are other than they were both teammates. He's gone over the top with criticism of Liverpool before despite having a clear bias towards us - so I don't think his punditry will change much.

But we'll see.

45 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think if Carra thinks Gerrard's a shit manager, he'll say it. He's on record as saying he wasn't really friends with any of his teammates outside the dressing room - so I really don't know how close Gerrard and Carra really are other than they were both teammates. He's gone over the top with criticism of Liverpool before despite having a clear bias towards us - so I don't think his punditry will change much.

But we'll see.

Gerrard and Carra are really really really good mates! 

Carra won't have any qualms about criticism towards Gerrard but yeah, they are close mates.

For Stevie Gerrard to impress the Liverpool board what would he need to achieve at Aston Villa? A top eight finish? Maybe a top six finish? Is that realistically feasible? Wolves and Everton have shown in recent times how difficult that is to achieve.

Staying in Scotland decorating the CV with more silver and improving the clubs standing in Europe seems a more safer option.

54 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But we'll see.

When Carra had his leg broke by Niell against Blackburn, him, Gerrard and a few non football lads went out to do some harm.. nothing ever came of it because apparently Gerrard talked them out of it.

Then again when Diouf was causing trouble in the dressing room when Houllier was in charge, Carragher wanted to take it further away from the club but Gerrard stopped it. 

Carragher was a total madhead whereas Gerrard had a more rachional head on his shoulders. 

Back to the original point you made though... yeah they are great friends but definitely Carra will slate Gerrard if needs be. 

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

For Stevie Gerrard to impress the Liverpool board what would he need to achieve at Aston Villa? A top eight finish? Maybe a top six finish? Is that realistically feasible? Wolves and Everton have shown in recent times how difficult that is to achieve.

Staying in Scotland decorating the CV with more silver and improving the clubs standing in Europe seems a more safer option.

Hes signed  3 1/2 year deal so I don't think this season will be one he is judged on... unless he royally fucks it up.

I've a feeling he will do ok and have Villa in the top 10 by the time he has a year left on his contract.

I could be wrong, just a gut feeling.

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

When Carra had his leg broke by Niell against Blackburn, him, Gerrard and a few non football lads went out to do some harm.. nothing ever came of it because apparently Gerrard talked them out of it.

Then again when Diouf was causing trouble in the dressing room when Houllier was in charge, Carragher wanted to take it further away from the club but Gerrard stopped it. 

Carragher was a total madhead whereas Gerrard had a more rachional head on his shoulders. 

Back to the original point you made though... yeah they are great friends but definitely Carra will slate Gerrard if needs be. 

Carra and Gerrard definitely weren't there when Carra's mates phoned him up and said they saw Lucas Neill and asked him if they wanted them to attack him. But David Thompson, who Carra's friend's with, was with Neill and he didn't want Thompson to be the witness to an assault he'd "ordered"

Honestly, I think that story's a bit sad on Carra's behalf - makes him come across as a wannabe gangster xD

Not heard any Diouf stuff other than pretty much everyone in the Liverpool dressing room hated him and Carra was happy when he could play against Diouf because he could kick him.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Carra and Gerrard definitely weren't there when Carra's mates phoned him up and said they saw Lucas Neill and asked him if they wanted them to attack him. But David Thompson, who Carra's friend's with, was with Neill and he didn't want Thompson to be the witness to an assault he'd "ordered"

Honestly, I think that story's a bit sad on Carra's behalf - makes him come across as a wannabe gangster xD

Not heard any Diouf stuff other than pretty much everyone in the Liverpool dressing room hated him and Carra was happy when he could play against Diouf because he could kick him.

No Carra n Gerrard wasn't there, they were too high profile. Gerrard called it all off though. That's what I got told.

Diouf was lucky not to get filled in though haha, and yeah Carra could sometimes come across as a wannabe gangster but he was actually like that. Not a nice lad when he was younger. Didn't give a fuck.

• Subscriber

When Graeme Souness managed Rangers he left the Gers after winning 3 Scottish Premierships and 4 Scottish League Cups, he might have had the millionaire Sir David Murray handing him the dosh to buy good players but at least he stayed the course (1986/91) before joining Liverpool.

He did not last the course there and only won an FA Cup and then got sacked, he found out the English League far harder than in Scotland, Gerrard won't get it easy at Villa and I am just waiting to see him maybe get egg in his face.

The way he left the Gers leaves a bitter taste in a lot of Gers supporters mouths the way he just upped and left and did not have the decency to say a proper goodbye to the Gers players, it was as if "Up yours, I am off...":coffee:

2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

He'd need to do more than that for me. Unless Liverpool fall off a cliff between now and whenever Klopp leaves, Liverpool shouldn't be appointing the Aston Villa manager. If Liverpool are a Champions League club when the time comes for them to look for a new manager then that man should surely have some European pedigree.

9 hours ago, Rab said:

Sorry, how is a 4 point lead this early in a season ahead of our hardest run of games still to come, while still conceding the first goal every game a sewn up season?

Adding to the fact everyone was expecting Gerrard to do something in a cup this year and he leaves when our next game is a cup game.

He's shat it big time.

Because Rangers are decent, the four point lead flatters Celtic, their manager is weird as fuck and Celtic are currently very shit. You’ve won the title. 

10 hours ago, Waylander said:

No I just think he showed his true colours, he wants to manage in England and a decent club were interested.

Didn't Rogers do something similar with Celtic when he went to Leicester. 

Gerrard managing England is something i would like to see to be honest, His heart is set on the Liverpool job which will definitely come eventually, Another 2 or 3 years managing in the premier league would set him up perfectly for the Liverpool hot seat but Gerrard as England manager is really interesting.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, LFCMike said:

He'd need to do more than that for me. Unless Liverpool fall off a cliff between now and whenever Klopp leaves, Liverpool shouldn't be appointing the Aston Villa manager. If Liverpool are a Champions League club when the time comes for them to look for a new manager then that man should surely have some European pedigree.

This is what I find odd in this whole move to Aston Villa. Yeah he wants the Liverpool job eventually but lets be honest and say that if a better manager is available when Klopp leaves would you really take Steven Gerrard unless he does something phenomenal at Villa? The club has taken enough steps back over the last two decades and while its nice feels to have a club legend return as a manager this isn't Guardiola we're talking about and even that took a lot more than just him alone. 

Agreed. Let's say the Klopp rot doesn't set in this season and you're looking for a new manager at the end of 22/23 season. Lets also say Gerrard has done an absolutely FANTASTIC job at villa, guiding them to 9th this season and 7th next. Do you hire him? It's basically like having Rodgers again. 

Let's be honest when Klopp leaves Liverpool's key players will likely be over the hill and they'll spunk a load of money trying to replace them. 

Liverpool will need a fall guy like Roy Hodgson or Kenny Dalglish to mask bad transfer business :ph34r:

Gerrard seems a good fit

Gerrard will have to overachieve with Villa because Liverpool have witnessed what "emotional" appointments have done with other clubs. Chelsea admitted failure with Lampard, Solskjaer is an embarrassment right now and Arteta, although his situation has improved, has also taken massive criticism on his qualifications. The fact Gerrard has taken a Premier League job may help but the bar is probably a lot higher for legends to take over at clubs now.

I don't think he can really think about it, just focus on Villa and making them as successful as he can.

Archived