• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Favourite Underdog Relegation Escape

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Leicester 2014/15.

Bottom of the league at Christmas. Only 4 wins in the league up to April.

Then picked up 7 wins out of our final 9 games.

Ended up finishing safe with more than a game to spare. Might not have been the greatest or dramatic final day because safety was secured, but the fact we were still doomed for relegation as late as start of April, makes it a very sentimental choice...

• The title was changed to Favourite Underdog Relegation Escape
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Leicester 2014/15.

Bottom of the league at Christmas. Only 4 wins in the league up to April.

Then picked up 7 wins out of our final 9 games.

Ended up finishing safe with more than a game to spare. Might not have been the greatest or dramatic final day because safety was secured, but the fact we were still doomed for relegation as late as start of April, makes it a very sentimental choice...

I was tempted to mention that one too though thought I would let someone else and if I recall correctly that was under Nigel Pearson.

• Subscriber

Ours was ridiculous. To be 9 points off safety with 9 games left and finish 14th is mental. The only thing ours lacked, amazingly, was not needing to do anything on the final day.

• Administrator

Jimmy Glass' goal to keep Carlisle up and send Scarborough down. 1-1 against Plymouth. Scarborough game has finished and they think they're staying up. Carlisle need to win to stay up. 

Jimmy Glass goes up for a corner and scores in the dying seconds past the Plymouth keeper. Absolute scenes of euphoria and elation. 

Oh, and Jimmy Glass is a goalkeeper for Carlisle who had only played a handful of times! 

• Subscriber

West Ham under David Moyes 2017-18 season, offered him a 6-month contract as the hammers were fighting relegation, he saved them then they never offered him another contract and bought in Manuel Pellegrini, the same old story they were fighting relegation again, sacked Pellegrini and then came back and asked Moyes to save their skins again with an 18-month contract, we all know the rest.  

• Administrator
2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

West Ham under David Moyes 2017-18 season, offered him a 6-month contract as the hammers were fighting relegation, he saved them then they never offered him another contract and bought in Manuel Pellegrini, the same old story they were fighting relegation again, sacked Pellegrini and then came back and asked Moyes to save their skins again with an 18-month contract, we all know the rest.  

Yeah, an absolute classic, that...

21 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Wigan and Sunderland dicking about in the relegation zone then sneaking out of it for a few years was always a laugh.

Sunderland were like a completely unflushable turd. Offered barely anything for several seasons in a row but kept surviving.

11 hours ago, LFCMike said:

The 2005 final day relegation battle was one that came to mind immediately. West Brom bottom going into the final day and end up surviving.

I still haven't forgiven Mikele Leigertwood for giving away that stupid free kick on the edge of the area at the end against Southampton in the 37th game. If he let Southampton have the ball the ref blows for full time a couple of seconds later and we stay up.

On 15/11/2021 at 01:03, Dan said:

Ours was ridiculous. To be 9 points off safety with 9 games left and finish 14th is mental. The only thing ours lacked, amazingly, was not needing to do anything on the final day.

You were shit the season after though :ph34r:

On 14/11/2021 at 22:28, Smiley Culture said:

Fulham won something like five out of the last six to stay up one year, that always goes under the radar a bit. 

Joe Thompson beating cancer twice and then coming off the bench to keep Rochdale in League One will forever remain unbeaten, mind. 

Never heard of that. Think I would of cried 

17 hours ago, Stan said:

Jimmy Glass' goal to keep Carlisle up and send Scarborough down. 1-1 against Plymouth. Scarborough game has finished and they think they're staying up. Carlisle need to win to stay up. 

Jimmy Glass goes up for a corner and scores in the dying seconds past the Plymouth keeper. Absolute scenes of euphoria and elation. 

Oh, and Jimmy Glass is a goalkeeper for Carlisle who had only played a handful of times! 

I remember that. It was my first season liking football 

10 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Moyes is doing so well I think he could be the next man utd manager :ph34r:

Bryan Robson's West Brom is the only one that comes to mind. The great escape as it was called. 

The other one is when John Carver won 1 in 14 games, sending Newcastle spiralling into a final day relegation battle, looking doomed, then Jonas Gutierrez returned from cancer to win the game. 

Archived