• Mason Mount
  • Luka Modric

Winner decided on 29th November.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I tend to steer clear of these because I acknowledge that I don't watch enough of the other major leagues week in, week out to know for sure who has performed the best though.

If Messi has won it then I am a bit confused though. I'm guessing the "he finally won the Copa America" has been used to justify some of the votes but I'm not a fan of that.

You want the best player in the world from 2021 genuinely, then for me you're looking at Salah and Lewandowski. There are a few others who you could make a case for ahead of Messi but with those two I really can't see how people can think he's had a better year on the pitch than them.

It's not as if Messi had some piss poor season as well.

38 goals and 14 assists, carrying an abysmal Barcelona side and on top of that he won the Copa Del Rey and was by far and away the best player in the Copa America whilst winning it. 

Jesus fucking Christ. 

Messi finishes 4th with Barca, finally wins that dusty piece of shit cup they hold every odd year in South America. 
Lewandowski was owed a Ballon d'Or, should have won it last time when it wasn't issued due to covid, and was front runner again this season. 
This reeks of politics, stupidity and pandering to the idiot majority. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

It's not as if Messi had some piss poor season as well.

38 goals and 14 assists, carrying an abysmal Barcelona side and on top of that he won the Copa Del Rey and was by far and away the best player in the Copa America whilst winning it. 

The coppa america is barely better than AFCON 

3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Jesus fucking Christ. 

Messi finishes 4th with Barca, finally wins that dusty piece of shit cup they hold every odd year in South America. 
Lewandowski was owed a Ballon d'Or, should have won it last time when it wasn't issued due to covid, and was front runner again this season. 
This reeks of politics, stupidity and pandering to the idiot majority. 

2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The coppa america is barely better than AFCON 

Seems like the players and journalists that voted for Messi prefer him over a bloke that scores loads of goals for a club that could win the Bundesliga in their sleep. 

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Seems like the players and journalists that voted for Messi prefer him over a bloke that scores loads of goals for a club that could win the Bundesliga in their sleep. 

Ah yes, the classic shite argument. 

He should have won it for winning the Champions League. They might have won it again last year had he not got injured.  I'd even have blondie over Messi this year, and he's middling for club at best, but at least won the CL and Euro. 

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Ah yes, the classic shite argument. 

He should have won it for winning the Champions League. They might have won it again last year had he not got injured.  I'd even have blondie over Messi this year, and he's middling for club at best, but at least won the CL and Euro. 

"grunt...copa america bad, bundesliga good." 

As much as we slated Brian, he was right that marketing plays a huge part in this award. Mendy IMO had a better season than Donnarumma, and although I'd argue this was a close call, Donnarumma is more marketable than Mendy which could be the reason why it edged him. Similar to Messi and Lewandowski. 

Lewandowski was unfortunate to not win the award but I'm not going to sit here and pretend Messi had some tragic season. If anything, UEFA will do the right thing and reinstate the 2020 award and give it to Lewandowski. 

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

"grunt...copa america bad, bundesliga good." 

As much as we slated Brian, he was right that marketing plays a huge part in this award. Mendy IMO had a better season than Donnarumma, and although I'd argue this was a close call, Donnarumma is more marketable than Mendy which could be the reason why it edged him. Similar to Messi and Lewandowski. 

Lewandowski was unfortunate to not win the award but I'm not going to sit here and pretend Messi had some tragic season. If anything, UEFA will do the right thing and reinstate the 2020 award and give it to Lewandowski. 

My comment had nothing to do with Bundesliga. It was about the Champions League. 

You're right, marketability plays a roll. In this case, it's the only factor. 

It's not about Messi's season. Could have scored 5 every game, who cares.

Ask any football fan, Messi is already in their all time top 3. No need to keep sucking him off.

Give the award to Lewa even if it's because he saw the 2020 one cancelled when he would have been the obvious winner.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived