talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ted Lasso

football forum

Don't get me wrong, I've loved the past two seasons and this one has been ok albeit, the weakest of the three. However, I really feel like they botched up Nate's character arc.

That big flip if making him the bad guy at the end of Season 2 was brilliant and although we've seen hints of that in a couple of the earlier episodes this season, its not really felt developed on and feels far too simplistic the way they have handled Nate's likely u-turn back to Richmond.

Why did we not see the moment he quit/resigned from West Ham? Would have been good to see him stand up to Rupert.

Why have the Richmond players come looking to bring him back so easily after what he did? we never really got to see why they had a change of heart.

How has Nate just let go of that dark side he had? Was it because he found love? Again, we don't know, none of it has really been gone into.

I just feel like they haven't made great use of the story arc they had initiated at the end of Season 2 with Nate and it's all a bit disappointing how easy its been to fall back into place.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 3

• Subscriber

Yeah, most of Nate's character development this season appears to have happened behind the scenes. There were definitely signs and subtle hints about him having doubts, but the resolution felt a bit rushed for sure. 

• Subscriber

Pretty good finish overall. Lots of emotions and it plays out kind of how most of us would expect I think, a fairly satisfying conclusion to Ted's story. The more I thought about the more I think nudge is right. It just feels like the easy way to continue forward is with the show FC Richmond. It definitely feels like the conclusion of the Ted Lasso story but the rest is still fairly open and they've done a pretty good job of transitioning Ted to a near background character. I think season 3 had more about Nate then Ted or pretty close anyways. 

definitely the little bit about changing the title of Trent Crim's book is another little nod to that as well I figure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nudge said:

It's happening, isn't it...

The way it ended sort of seemed like a spinoff was inevitable tbh, so I'm sure it will be. I think it's by far Apple TV's best bit of content, so I'm sure they'd be willing to milk it for as long as they can.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The way it ended sort of seemed like a spinoff was inevitable tbh, so I'm sure it will be. I think it's by far Apple TV's best bit of content, so I'm sure they'd be willing to milk it for as long as they can.

Yeah, even though I disagree that it's BY FAR Apple TVs best content... They have so many good shows 😅 But yeah anyway, I think the spinoff is happening. They should totally call it "The Richmond Way"

• Like 1

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, even though I disagree that it's BY FAR Apple TVs best content... They have so many good shows 😅 But yeah anyway, I think the spinoff is happening. They should totally call it "The Richmond Way"

Thats actually the perfect little nod too. Love it.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Really? What are some ones I should check out. I tried Tehran I couldn't stand it xD and that probably turned me off Apple TV for a while.

Severance and For All Mankind are my absolute favourites. Pachinko is really good. Recently, I also enjoyed Hello Tomorrow and Big Door Prize, and currently, I am digging Silo. Echo 3 is good if you're into military thrillers. Extrapolations is a bit hit and miss, but I found myself thinking about it quite often after watching it. I heard Shrinking is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't watched it yet... The only show I started watching and didn't like at all was Mythic Quest.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, nudge said:

Severance and For All Mankind are my absolute favourites. Pachinko is really good. Recently, I also enjoyed Hello Tomorrow and Big Door Prize, and currently, I am digging Silo. Echo 3 is good if you're into military thrillers. Extrapolations is a bit hit and miss, but I found myself thinking about it quite often after watching it. I heard Shrinking is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't watched it yet... The only show I started watching and didn't like at all was Mythic Quest.

i was actually just recommended For All Mankind a month back or so, dunno how Id never heard of it before but the idea sounded really interesting. If its got the nudge seal of approval as well it might have to slide up my list a little more....

Everyone keeps raving about Severance so thats up there to for me :) 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

i was actually just recommended For All Mankind a month back or so, dunno how Id never heard of it before but the idea sounded really interesting. If its got the nudge seal of approval as well it might have to slide up my list a little more....

Everyone keeps raving about Severance so thats up there to for me :) 

It's brilliant, definitely on the list of my all time favourites. Granted, I'm a sucker for the subject matter, but it is really engaging in general.

Severance is just a very unique and well executed concept with brilliant acting. Very weird vibes , in a good sense. Highly recommended...

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Also @Viva la FCB - I created a thread about it a few years ago: 

I don't know why the fuck the thread has been archived considering that there's Season 4 coming up, but oh well. I should have tagged you there in the very beginning 😅

• Like 1

Apple TV has the best content imo. The new programme with Seth Rogen looks good too.

I agree with @Lucas comments, I think there’s been a lot of filler this season too. You could scrap everything to do with Zava, it really has no impact. Keeley’s lesbian storyline really offered nothing to the show outside of one good episode about consent, her and Roy breaking up to didn’t offer much either. And the resolution at the end of the ep? Just seemed rushed massively when you include Nate’s storyline too. 

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, nudge said:

Also @Viva la FCB - I created a thread about it a few years ago: 

I don't know why the fuck the thread has been archived considering that there's Season 4 coming up, but oh well. I should have tagged you there in the very beginning 😅

Cheers! Ill post in there when I can get to watching it!

This reminds me a lot of when Scrubs ended and they still kept it going, even though most of the main cast left and the series really sucked afterwards. It's the same producer as well. I am really not sure if this will be any good after Jason Sudeikis leaves..

13 hours ago, Tommy said:

This reminds me a lot of when Scrubs ended and they still kept it going, even though most of the main cast left and the series really sucked afterwards. It's the same producer as well. I am really not sure if this will be any good after Jason Sudeikis leaves..

The focus was pretty much on everybody BUT him in that final season. Supporting characters like Rebecca, Jamie, Keely, Roy & Nathan all had more weighted performances than Ted did. 

I think it could potentially be a better show without him. His cheesy, positive nature really irritated me at times. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Tommy said:

Ted was my least favourite character, so I'm okay with him not being a part of the show.

• Sad 1

• Subscriber

I personally liked Ted. I thought he might become annoying but the character was to interesting. That being said I do think he ran his course and they put a nice bow on his story and the show can carry on without him just fine. As long as the same writers remain involved Im fairly optimistic about this one. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

I liked Ted too, but I think he made the impact he was supposed to make, and would have become a caricature if they continued to focus on his quirkiness and good-natured goofiness. The most important thing he did was to inspire the personal growth of other characters, and I like to think it was always the end goal. 

I also think one reason why this show worked was because it came out at the time when most people were tired and depressed due to the COVID stuff, and everyone badly needed something positive and uplifting. The show creators hit the jackpot with this.

• Upvote 3

I loved Ted. He was the positivity I needed after so many bad things happening in the world. But yea, as said before, he made his impact, and now I can see why they may continue with the other characters who still have a lot of room for development. 

As Ted wrote to Trent about his book: "It's not about me. It never was." 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1