talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

(EL) Group C - Matchday 5 - 24-25th November, 2021

football forum

Wednesday 24th November, 2021
Spartak Moscow vs Napoli, 15.30

Thursday 25th November, 2021
Leicester vs Legia Warsaw

image.png

- Napoli can guarantee EL qualification if they win and Legia lose
- Leicester need to win to have a chance of EL qualifcation
- Spartak Moscow need to beat Napoli to remain in contention too

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Dan thoughts on tomorrow?

We need a performance and stranger things have happened in terms of potentially still finishing 1st. Osimhen out for Napoli could be big for them. 

It's been underwhelming up to now but I'm just hoping for a convincing win tomorrow night - get some confidence back flowing through the side. 

7 hours ago, Stan said:

@Dan thoughts on tomorrow?

We need a performance and stranger things have happened in terms of potentially still finishing 1st. Osimhen out for Napoli could be big for them. 

It's been underwhelming up to now but I'm just hoping for a convincing win tomorrow night - get some confidence back flowing through the side. 

This group just gets more and more silly the more it goes on. You had the two favourites drawn into the same group and now there's a genuine chance both go out in the groups - despite the opposition being in the bottom half in Russia and the relegation zone in Poland.

I think we're gonna get through. I've got this sneaky feeling it's falling our way.

There is no excuse though. Legia are terrible. Losing away there was embarrassing enough. Don't overthink it, play a 4-2-3-1 - maybe a return to Soyuncu & Evans. Just go quite attacking. We cannot turn this into a slog like we did away there and at home to Spartak as it gives them a chance.

Edited by Dan

1 hour ago, Dan said:

This group just gets more and more silly the more it goes on. You had the two favourites drawn into the same group and now there's a genuine chance both go out in the groups - despite the opposition being in the bottom half in Russia and the relegation zone in Poland.

I think we're gonna get through. I've got this sneaky feeling it's falling our way.

There is no excuse though. Legia are terrible. Losing away there was embarrassing enough. Don't overthink it, play a 4-2-3-1 - maybe a return to Soyuncu & Evans. Just go quite attacking. We cannot turn this into a slog like we did away there and at home to Spartak as it gives them a chance.

Or it'll be typical us to go top tomorrow night, and 'bottle it' on the final day.

image.png 

Imagine if Napoli don't get through. They could conceivably finish 4th if we win tomorrow and both games finish as a draw in 2 weeks time.  

15 hours ago, Stan said:

Or it'll be typical us to go top tomorrow night, and 'bottle it' on the final day.

image.png 

Imagine if Napoli don't get through. They could conceivably finish 4th if we win tomorrow and both games finish as a draw in 2 weeks time.  

Am I right in saying there's now no situation where both us and Napoli can qualify?

For all the talk of Napoli, who I do think are a very good team, they've been pretty dire in this group as well and I do wonder if there may be a bit of fortune in getting them in a year where they're focusing on the league, as they're in genuine contention to win it this year.

There can be no excuse tonight. Even with no Tielemans, Legia are in absolute turmoil, they've lost virtually every game since they beat us.

17 minutes ago, Dan said:

Am I right in saying there's now no situation where both us and Napoli can qualify?

For all the talk of Napoli, who I do think are a very good team, they've been pretty dire in this group as well and I do wonder if there may be a bit of fortune in getting them in a year where they're focusing on the league, as they're in genuine contention to win it this year.

There can be no excuse tonight. Even with no Tielemans, Legia are in absolute turmoil, they've lost virtually every game since they beat us.

By the looks of it yeah - if we win and draw with Napoli, we're on 10, they're on 8. But then Spartak and Legia play each other - Spartak stay ahead of Napoli if the results are matched on final round, then if Legia beat Spartak they would go above Napoli. If Napoli beat us they'll go on to 10 and then stay above us.

I think Napoli's fine league start aided the rest of the group because they focused on that. Definitely helped us to remain in contention to qualify. 

As for tonight, I think you're right. Just have to win. Can't get complacent but be professional and get the job done.

Think we'll line-up like this:

Kasper

Castagne - Soyuncu - Evans - Thomas

Ndidi - Soumare

Maddison

Lookman - Iheanacho - Daka

Can't be doing a back 3 again when we need to score goals and they're unlikely to attack lots, like Spartak. Got to attack them and get at them from the off. I fear for the fans and players if we go a goal down - atmosphere could turn very quickly.

Job done. Several possibilities going in to the final round but we did what was required today. 

A win in Naples and we finish top. 

Draw in Naples, and we need a draw in the other game to finish top. 

Lose in Naples, and we need a draw in the other game to finish 2nd.

Got what we needed. Find it incredible that we're top but it's been a mad group right from the off. I think the odds favour us going through now but there's going to be a bit of luck involved. I wasn't totally convinced by the performance, it was alright, but I still think we're capable of far better.