talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nintendo Switch

football forum

Hi all, I was considering purchasing a new games console as I fancied getting back into Fifa and/or PES (perhaps even a bit of Mario Kart), but was looking for something portable.

Looking at what's available, it looks like a Nintendo Switch is possibly the best option, but having barely gamed at all (unless you include games on smartphones) I don't really know much about them, so would appreciate anyone's insight on this. 

In terms of what I would be looking for, basically something portable (i.e. doesn't need to be connected to a TV, it doesn't need to be small as I'm unlikely to take it out the house too much if at all) and simple to use (Having not gamed so long, I'm hoping it's still a case of you can just set it up and get going, without too much hassle). 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
18 hours ago, Ploughendplonker said:

Hi all, I was considering purchasing a new games console as I fancied getting back into Fifa and/or PES (perhaps even a bit of Mario Kart), but was looking for something portable.

Looking at what's available, it looks like a Nintendo Switch is possibly the best option, but having barely gamed at all (unless you include games on smartphones) I don't really know much about them, so would appreciate anyone's insight on this. 

In terms of what I would be looking for, basically something portable (i.e. doesn't need to be connected to a TV, it doesn't need to be small as I'm unlikely to take it out the house too much if at all) and simple to use (Having not gamed so long, I'm hoping it's still a case of you can just set it up and get going, without too much hassle). 

If you're into the odd game here and there and want mobility then the Switch is really the only option for you to go with. There is another alternative and that is the Steam Deck from Valve but it comes out around December and imo is still too early for any kind of serious adoption till they work the kinks out plus its nearly impossible to get. 

Don't worry too much about getting it setup and having fun because Nintendo really does a good job with their consoles and if you want to try out Mario Kart there really is only one company you can go with anyways. Their library is getting better all the time and some of the older games are there too if you want to try them out (from prior Nintendo consoles).

23 hours ago, Ploughendplonker said:

The switch has a bunch of great games, which mostly involve Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc. It's not the perfect system but it's brilliant at what it does, and absolutely awesome how it can switch from being hand held to a console system, and one control can become two controls.

That said FIFA would be better on an Xbox or ps5, though you can't take it out of your living room.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Ploughendplonker said:

Cheers both, did have a 3DS which I thought was the cutting edge of technology, until realising they discontinued that over a year ago hence the new purchase. 

I'd get a Switch and FIFA isn't total shambles on it does a decent job of keeping you entertained.

On 25/11/2021 at 10:43, Ploughendplonker said:

The Switch is a good little console in fairness and I really need to use it more often. There are some great games on there and Mario Kart 8 is superb, even after 7 and a half years.

As for FIFA, it'll do the job as @Mel81x mentioned if you just want FIFA on it, though as @Harry mentioned, the main version is on PS5 and Xbox Series X as the Switch version is basically a 'legacy' edition that just has roster updates and that's it.

2 hours ago, Ploughendplonker said:

Cheers both, did have a 3DS which I thought was the cutting edge of technology, until realising they discontinued that over a year ago hence the new purchase. 

Given you're playing it mobile FIFA would be more than good enough. Though I'd say there are other games to buy first!

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I've criminally underused mine in all honesty. Got a fair amount on there that I've barely played, including Breath of the Wild.

By more often I reckon it’s once a fortnight haha. Got a few games on there we both haven’t even touched yet. 

21 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I've criminally underused mine in all honesty. Got a fair amount on there that I've barely played, including Breath of the Wild.

Same here, I used my Switch a lot to go through Super Mario: Odyssey, but just haven't found time to complete BOTW. It's been gathering dust for years now.

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

Same here, I used my Switch a lot to go through Super Mario: Odyssey, but just haven't found time to complete BOTW. It's been gathering dust for years now.

Same here in terms of Mario Odyssey. I have played it more recently (my last completed game was Mario 3D World and Bowser's Fury), but there are others that I do want to play on it as well. Should be having Metroid Dread at some point, so may play that first (that or giving Yakuza 7 a run out on my PS5).

• 9 months later...
On 26/11/2021 at 13:59, Bluebird Hewitt said:

The Switch is a good little console in fairness and I really need to use it more often. There are some great games on there and Mario Kart 8 is superb, even after 7 and a half years.

As for FIFA, it'll do the job as @Mel81x mentioned if you just want FIFA on it, though as @Harry mentioned, the main version is on PS5 and Xbox Series X as the Switch version is basically a 'legacy' edition that just has roster updates and that's it.

I was thinking of getting a switch for travelling as it'll pass time when on flights. It'd be better than simply watching films and documentaries.

On fifa can you do a career mode? As that is the only reason I'd get it, as building a team would pass time on massively.

7 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I was thinking of getting a switch for travelling as it'll pass time when on flights. It'd be better than simply watching films and documentaries.

On fifa can you do a career mode? As that is the only reason I'd get it, as building a team would pass time on massively.

Yes - its the same game pretty much just without a few features. I have FIFA 22 for my Switch and it's brilliant for flights and travelling - time flew on the plane doing my Las Palmas career mode.

36 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

27 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Yes - its the same game pretty much just without a few features. I have FIFA 22 for my Switch and it's brilliant for flights and travelling - time flew on the plane doing my Las Palmas career mode.

I'm really surprised you guys can still play FIFA after all these years. I don't think I've enjoyed it since FIFA 11 or 12. I feel like the engine is really clunky and slow, I try it every few years and I never play for more than 10 minutes before I uninstall.

A cheaper alternative could just be buying a PS Vita second hand, hacking it and playing the older FIFA games on it.

56 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm really surprised you guys can still play FIFA after all these years. I don't think I've enjoyed it since FIFA 11 or 12. I feel like the engine is really clunky and slow, I try it every few years and I never play for more than 10 minutes before I uninstall.

A cheaper alternative could just be buying a PS Vita second hand, hacking it and playing the older FIFA games on it.

I think a Nintendo switch would be worth investing in to be honest as I'd probably use it quite a bit. 

16 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I think a Nintendo switch would be worth investing in to be honest as I'd probably use it quite a bit. 

Super Mario: Odyssey is a genuine 10/10 game IMO too, it's absolutely fantastic. 

Archived