talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brentford 1-0 Everton - Sunday 28th November, 2021

football forum

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

He could only be given a red under serious foul play. We’d be seeing red cards handed out left right and centre if the various challenges around the pitch weren’t open to refereeing interpretation.

So studs to the head for example rather than laces of the boot

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

So studs to the head for example rather than laces of the boot

I think again it’s interpretation. I’ve just seen a studs in the air challenge from a Brentford player on Allen. Not even a yellow. 2 feet off the floor and no control whatsoever. We’d be down to 8 men a game.

image.jpg

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

I think again it’s interpretation. I’ve just seen a studs in the air challenge from a Brentford player on Allen. Not even a yellow. 

image.jpg

Of course, studs to the head versus studs to the end of someone’s toe which is also high in the air around nobody else is a nothing challenge lol

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Of course, studs to the head versus studs to the end of someone’s toe which is also high in the air around nobody else is a nothing challenge lol

Contact is contact though. The rules don’t state where on the body contact has to be made. That’s why I said part of refereeing is always open to a massive amount of interpretation of the individual challenge/situation. 

• Subscriber

The worst thing is that isn't even close to the worst 45 minutes we've had this season.

I don't advocate sacking Benitez or any manager in our situation unless we're really at risk of relegation and you have to acknowledge we've been bummed by injuries this season between Mina, Doucoure, Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin. But he isn't getting enough out of this team. Our defensive positioning is poor and our attack don't seem to have any idea what they're doing or how to link up with each other. The players we have out there are of a better quality than they're showing and nobody can say we have any of the hallmarks of a well coached team.

I have no illusions about us being good enough to challenge the big guns but if this squad performs to an average standard for them all season we should still finish mid table well clear of safety. Benitez hasn't been brought in to implement a Klopp/Guardiola/Bielsa type philosophy in the club from top to bottom. We're not going to see him turn us into contenders with a five year plan or something. But he's supposed to be a safe pair of hands to stabilise the club before we move to the new stadium. He isn't meeting that standard currently and the problem with this appointment on top of the unpopular nature of it, is that when we're in bad form like this, there's no "we knew this grand plan would have its ups and downs" to fall back on. There's nothing about this team that inspires the fan base to get behind it.

Thoroughly miserable. The only specific point in our performance I can bring up again is Rondon. Last season we had a player appearing regularly called James Rodriguez who you knew offered nothing to the team without the ball. It's a big sacrifice to have a player like that on the pitch but Rodriguez at least showed his quality on the ball. Rondon, let's just say it's a different story. But when he's the figurehead of your press, what's the point? Ellis Simms is sat on the bench after a successful loan at Blackpool last season. He's been kept at the club this season instead of having another loan. Rondon has been given a fair chance and been useless in every game. If you can't give Simms 45 minutes here, when can you? I get it, Benitez "trusts" Rondon. To do what though? He's genuinely useless. This shite is why some of our best young players are leaving the club before even coming of age. What do Ellis Simms and Lewis Dobbin think sat on the bench watching Rondon plod about 10 yards behind the play? Would you stay and believe you'll ever get a chance if a player like that is ahead of you in the pecking order? I wouldn't.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

How has VAR not intervened there? Rondon basically had his shirt pulled off.

Our players didn't even appeal for it. They don't give a shit. Made it easy for the officials to shrug and move on. Shithouses all of them.

• Subscriber

It's over for Benitez. This is no wins in 7 games and I can't see us picking up a win in any of the next five. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we lost all five. No manager in the Premier League survives a 12 game winless run. To be honest though giving Rondon 90 minutes there is a sackable offence alone.

20211128_155128.jpg

An absolute bore and embarrassment of a football club we are. Players, manager, board. Wouldn't wish it on any fanbase.

I'm just glad I didn't get carried away with the praise to our start of the season. All of the concerns I had about this appointment are now playing out before our eyes and there really doesn't seem to be any way out of this rut. I've seen these performances enough times from us to recognise a team waiting for the manager to get sacked which is appalling in itself but it doesn't get turned around. Our players visibly getting annoyed at each other on the pitch and not playing like a team.

It's an awful result today. No disrespect to Brentford but they're not a team we should be competing with in the table come the end of the season and that performance I think was average at best by their standards. Even with the players we're missing, they gave us the chance in that second half and I think we had two shots on target.

Once again, we're going to find ourselves heading into the second half of the season needing to combine the new manager bounce with players returning from injury to put a run of results together to propel us far enough up the table to not be in a genuine scrap going into the last ten games.

And it's yet another manager who we've signed half a dozen players for and just hoped that it works out instead of letting the Director of Football do his job and oversee transfer strategy. Next manager doesn't fancy Gray or Townsend it's yet more resources squandered on dead weight in the squad. The owner won't learn though will he.

Miserable and I increasingly feel that actually getting relegated might actually be the best chance of us having the huge reset we need as a club to become basically competent again.

• The title was changed to Brentford 1-0 Everton - Sunday 28th November, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived