talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 13 Matches - 27-28th November, 2021

football forum

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

We've not conceded a single goal in the league games we've won this season. 

We'll ignore the Chelsea and Man City games as it happens against great sides but the other three where we've lost a bit of control and let the opposition back in has cost us points in those games. Keep Fabinho and Thiago fit and that's less likely to happen.

Thiago??

He shouldn't even had been signed apparently? O.o

:ph34r:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Good win. Game turned slightly surreal with the amount of snow and it became quite hard to actually judge. Thought we had a bit of a spark about us going forward again - Maddison's best game in a long time and Vardy back in the goals.

Still think we're a shambles at the back and we can't achieve a thing until we sort it, but about time we won a game fairly comfortably at home again.

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, Dan said:

Good win. Game turned slightly surreal with the amount of snow and it became quite hard to actually judge. Thought we had a bit of a spark about us going forward again - Maddison's best game in a long time and Vardy back in the goals.

Still think we're a shambles at the back and we can't achieve a thing until we sort it, but about time we won a game fairly comfortably at home again.

Don't think we were that shambolic and Soyuncu and Thomas had very good games. Castagne looked a bit underwhelming but to be honest I'm just happy we've been able to get a convincing win and Rodgers seems to have released the players a bit more, less cautious play and more progressive. Enjoyed Vardy running the channels again at times. Loves a goal against Watford. Always seems to be a penalty in this game too. 

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Aww mate really. You went all the way there. Hope you at least had a pint 

Ha I did. I had a pint at the cricket club. 12 hour round trip for that. Lovely stuff 

On 27/11/2021 at 17:02, LFCMadLad said:

Gerrard made a good start bless him. 

On 27/11/2021 at 17:03, Waylander said:

I thought this might be a draw yet Villa looked decent.

Surprised to see Ashley Young out there, could be a good acquisition as certainly has experience.

Gerard, back to back wins....

On 27/11/2021 at 17:14, Fairy In Boots said:

Also results show how poor we’d become under Smith, just too passive for top end of the PL

Aston Villa were the best team we've played at Selhurst Park this season. The 4-3-2-1 'Christmas Tree' formation got the best out of the midfielders and allowed Aston Villa to get in the gap between our midfield and defence far too easily. It also to a degree stopped us from creating chances albeit I don't think we helped ourselves by leaving Benteke on and taking off Zaha at the hour mark.

From a neutrals perspective going forwards, I hope Stevie Gerrard perceived the referees lack of experience as an opportunity to tell his players to dive at every opportunity and that isn't a permanent feature going forwards as it was particularly difficult to watch. 

From our perspective I hope we learn from this defeat going forwards. Luka and Kouyate cannot work as a two in midfield as there isn't enough energy and we simply have to get better at defending set pieces as everybody will target us now.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Stan said:

Don't think we were that shambolic and Soyuncu and Thomas had very good games. Castagne looked a bit underwhelming but to be honest I'm just happy we've been able to get a convincing win and Rodgers seems to have released the players a bit more, less cautious play and more progressive. Enjoyed Vardy running the channels again at times. Loves a goal against Watford. Always seems to be a penalty in this game too. 

Shambles may have been harsh but it certainly wasn't solid and it's still no real basis to build from. Another two conceded and Watford did miss a couple of decent chances. I think the 4 at the back doesn't really improve us defensively but it certainly does going forward. With the options available that's probably my chosen back four at the minute as well. Castagne was awful, probably the worst game he's had for us. Thomas is twice as good at left back than left wing back.

I'm starting to think Soumare is a problem. He offers nowhere near enough defensive cover and I think he's unfortunately a big part of why we appear so open. Tielemans isn't really renowned for his defensive quality but we'll keep the ball more with him in the side anyway. Soumare is often nowhere to be seen when we're broken on.

However going forward it was much improved. Thought we were more direct which is good because you can accuse us of being too far the other way at times. We were at least creating chances. Vardy could've had more than he did, Maddison's best game in a long time, Lookman finally has a goal not chalked off. Still not quite clicking for Barnes but don't think he was particularly poor either. We've got enough firepower to win plenty of games. That Iheanacho and Daka didn't feature at all says a lot. I expect both will probably start in a quite rotated side at Southampton.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived