talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ralf Rangnick - Set to become Interim Manager at Manchester United

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Ralf Rangnick: Jurgen Klopp says Manchester United interest 'not good news for other teams'

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says that "unfortunately a good coach is coming to England" if Manchester United agree a deal with Ralf Rangnick.

Liverpool's arch-rivals are set to appoint the German, 63, as interim manager on a six-month contract.

Klopp is one of the younger German coaches who looked up to Rangnick and they faced each other as rival bosses.

"United will be organised on the pitch," said Klopp, 54. "That's not good news for other teams."

Rangnick set Ulm on course to promotion to the Bundesliga for the first time before spells in charge of Stuttgart, Hannover, Hoffenheim, Schalke and RB Leipzig.

He has also served as director of football of the Red Bull group of clubs and is currently manager of sports and development for Russian club Lokomotiv Moscow.

United are sorting out the final details of Rangnick's move, which will see him switch to a two-year consultancy at Old Trafford at the end of the season.

"He's a really good man and an outstanding coach," added Klopp. "He's a really experienced manager and famously built two clubs from nowhere to proper forces in Germany - Hoffenheim and RB Leipzig.

"He's done a lot of different jobs in football, but his first concern was always being a coach, being a manager, and that's what his best skill is."

FULL REPORT

Rangnick is an experienced manager who did a great job at RB Leipzig over the last decade or so. He has a different challenge at Man Utd, where expectations are really high. However, I think he should find success with the right backing from the club and the right support, as he is one of the best in the business in my opinion.

I've looked up rangnicks record. I know he was a revolutionary tactician a while back. However he has only won one german cup. He seems like a solid coach but he hasn't managed a really big club I dont think. I'm  not sure if he is a world class coach to be honest. He seems like the kind of manager you use to build a club to a certain level the on you get a world class coach in to win the big competitions.(  I think hes actually what Newcastle need. )

He will probably be ok as an interim though but I dont think it will go any further 

He was the pivotal figure in bringing Hoffenheim and Leipzig to where they are today, which probably wasn't that difficult with all the money they have. But somehow he got the reputation of being someone who can build a great team. 

He's quite arrogant and known for clashing with the higher ups though. That's why I'm convinced that he won't be at United for the planned 6 months. 

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

He was the pivotal figure in bringing Hoffenheim and Leipzig to where they are today, which probably wasn't that difficult with all the money they have. But somehow he got the reputation of being someone who can build a great team. 

He's quite arrogant and known for clashing with the higher ups though. That's why I'm convinced that he won't be at United for the planned 6 months. 

Well, he also led SSV Ulm to their one and only Buli season.

As for the call he had never managed a big team. He was Schalke's manager twice. They featured regularly in the Forbes "20 most valuable football teams" ranking, always ahead of eg Tottenham Hotspurs.

@Rucksackfranzose shalke aren't man utd though. Like I said I think he is a good solid coach but  not sure if he is a world class coach. Although I don't know much about him I had never heard of him so may be wrong. But looking at his stats as a manager that is what it seems like to me .

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Rucksackfranzose shalke aren't man utd though. Like I said I think he is a good solid coach but  not sure if he is a world class coach. Although I don't know much about him I had never heard of him so may be wrong. But looking at his stats as a manager that is what it seems like to me .

To be one of the 20 most valuable clubs makes you really big, though. To be frank. Schalke is of the same staure as Arsenal.

• Subscriber

I can't stand Rangnick, but I also think he's absolutely great at building up teams when he's given the freedom to run things his way. Building, developing and expanding youth and scouting networks, getting rid of all the outdated, inefficient structures within the club and replacing them with new, modern ones for long-term success. He's a great tactician as well. Not sure if he'll have a lot of success on the pitch in 6 months time, but if they keep him in the club behind the scenes afterwards, I think it's a great coup for Manchester United.

3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

To be one of the 20 most valuable clubs makes you really big, though. To be frank. Schalke is of the same staure as Arsenal.

What's that got to do with man utd? 

• Subscriber

I like the cut of this bloke's jib. I don't think he's going to come in and turn them into world beaters immediately ala Tuchel nor do I expect much from this season but I feel like he's the type of football nous they've needed within the club for years.

On 28/11/2021 at 16:53, Gunnersauraus said:

The "is he world class" conversation seems pointless.

He's more of a behind the scenes guys these days and I doubt he wants to be a manager for more than 6 months. He probably only accepted the job because you don't really say no to Manchester United. He is there to build a team, not to compete with Guardiola for manager of the year.

• Subscriber
On 28/11/2021 at 16:57, nudge said:

I can't stand Rangnick, but I also think he's absolutely great at building up teams when he's given the freedom to run things his way. Building, developing and expanding youth and scouting networks, getting rid of all the outdated, inefficient structures within the club and replacing them with new, modern ones for long-term success. He's a great tactician as well. Not sure if he'll have a lot of success on the pitch in 6 months time, but if they keep him in the club behind the scenes afterwards, I think it's a great coup for Manchester United.

You've nailed it with the highlighted section. Too much emphasis has been put on him as a manager. But he's clearly been brought in for what he'll be doing post-interim period. The bold section is what he's been brought in for after his short management period.

To be fair to Manchester United they were making progress with the recruitment under Ole. Bruno Fernandes was clearly an exceptional signing and Alex Telles hasn't disappointed when he's been given minutes. Amad Diallo looks like a promising player for the future too.

The issue is they've behaved like hapless single man in the big city that was moving on with his life but got the opportunity to jump back in to bed with an old flame that left him ten years ago and took it. Undoing all the efforts he had made to move forwards with his life in the process.

The dynamic between Ralf and Ronaldo will be interesting but if Manchester United allow him to get past that and he's given the opportunity to create an infrastructure in his model the future could be interesting for Manchester United. One of the biggest markers against Ole for me was that there was a clear disparity between himself and the recruitment team as symbolised by the minutes Donny Van De Brek and Alex Telles have had since arriving.

At the end of the day the thing United have needed most for about a decade now is someone capable of developing a strategy, and capable of making good decisions. Ideally someone who might be continuous and be around longer than a manager.

Hard to ignore that this is a positive step

Archived